MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I read the "too many threads" post, and I agree with it, but let me explain this new one:

1. I don't want to post in a Ducati forum because it all just seems like a big frenzy right now without a lot of sanity.

2. I want to know something specific that might get lost in another thread.

Has anyone been able to find chassis specs for the bike? Maybe I missed something...

Specifically, I'd like to know rake, trail, wheelbase, and swingarm length if possible.

I suppose if some hardcore analysis was done on photos, this stuff could probably be pulled from pictures to some degree...

Or I could just be patient and wait.

Just an FYI for non Ducati people:

If you have a 996/998 style bike, there is a chassis setup that the fast racers say is "required" to go really fast on these bikes. It includes a longer swingarm (between 15 and 25mm depending on who you ask) and different triple clams with 27mm offset, which as far as I can tell means slightly more trail. (I admit, more studying on my part will be necessary.)

The problem with the swingarm and triple clamps is, at the cheapest this is a $2000 proposition, and that includes getting your stock swingarm lengthened. An aftermarket lengthened swingarm alone is $3000. Let's see... $8500 for a used ducati 996, $2000 in the motor so far, almost $4000 for the chassis parts, another $1k on suspension updates....

Can you say :banghead: ?

Problem is, when this bike runs, it's hard to describe how much I enjoy riding it.

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
acruhl said:
I suppose if some hardcore analysis was done on photos, this stuff could probably be pulled from pictures to some degree...
Although I did this as a joke in the other thread, and I am smart enough (most days) to recognize that millimeters and fractions of angles have huge implications, but from 15 feet away, the geometry of the frame looks nearly identical to the 1994 916, with a slightly longer swingarm. I did NOT take the time to size these photos exactly, as I had done previously, I just slapped them together by eyeball. TBS, I think the head angle looks identical, peg position looks to be similar, we know the tanks are near matches on the profile, but the seat (subframe) may be at a slightly steeper angle on the 1098. FWIW! I am interested to see which frame geometry they used as well, I'll stay tuned for more from others, I'm sure...

Parts-bin frames?

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, that's what I wanted to know. Thanks.

I haven't followed too much of the 1098 threads, even though I'm a prospective buyer, because people just get in too much of a frenzy.

I trust what Jason is saying (Department of Suspension), however I'll wait for the real deal.

It's going to be tough to decide between the 996 and the new bike... The 996 is so raw and ready to go fast, and crash damage is fairly cheap to fix since there are parts everywhere...

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Yesterday i posted this on ducati.ms

The biggest "no no" of the 1098, IMO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From what we know so far, of course.....

It's just like any other jap bike in terms of adjustability (lack of it)

I was :jsm: when i checked the spec sheet of the 1098 posted here today and realised there's no rake adjustability.
Rake seems to be fixed on 24,5º while in all the 749/999 (except the 749D) and the 998's (possibly the 916 and 996, but that i don't know for sure) it could be ajusted from 24,5º to 23,5º.
I still hope that spec sheet is not totally correct and the 1098 comes with adjustable rake.

Also the MCN article says "In search for simplicity, Ducati has ditched the 999's adjustable swingarmpoint and also done without that bike's adjustable riding position. With the 1098 what you see is what you get. There's no scope to adjust the rearset or the seat."

This, along with the fact that with a SSSA you can't adjust swingarm lengh like you could with the 749/999, are not good news for people who pretend to race and race prepare their 1098's.
This is surely a step back with regards to the awesome chassis adjustability the 749/999 had.

Long live the 999 :D

I'm really waiting to see an official confirmation on Ducati.com about the 1098 specs :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
MV-999R said:
Long live the 999 :D

WORD!!!!! :yo:

In my opinion, the Ducati audience just was not ready for the 999 when it came out. This 1098 styling should have came out in 2003 and then the 999 should have followed for '07.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
twoeleven said:
Although I did this as a joke in the other thread, and I am smart enough (most days) to recognize that millimeters and fractions of angles have huge implications, but from 15 feet away, the geometry of the frame looks nearly identical to the 1994 916, with a slightly longer swingarm. I did NOT take the time to size these photos exactly, as I had done previously, I just slapped them together by eyeball. TBS, I think the head angle looks identical, peg position looks to be similar, we know the tanks are near matches on the profile, but the seat (subframe) may be at a slightly steeper angle on the 1098. FWIW! I am interested to see which frame geometry they used as well, I'll stay tuned for more from others, I'm sure...

Parts-bin frames?

Griff
twoeleven
I think "parts bin" would be a stretch if you take these things into consideration:

1. MCN claimed that the frame rails are thicker or larger (surprising if the bike is lighter)
2. The shock mount setup seems to be different.
3. By my eyeball, that small "triangle" between the back motor mount and the swingarm pivot seems to be different. That's likely due to tube size since the distance between that motor mount and the swingarm very likely didn't change (been the same for many, many years going by how many engines the engine stands fit on, althogh I could be wrong).

There's not a heck of a lot of reason to change anything major on the Ducati frame I think. Just some minor geometry stuff. They honestly don't have any room to do much, the front tire is already as close to the wheel as they can get it, and they damn sure can't move the engine back because they need all the weight on the front wheel that they can get (this is why you need the longer swingarm to go faster on the 996/998, shifting weight balance).

I'm sold on steel frames too. They seem to make a real, quantifiable difference.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
The frame tubes are purported to be larger in diameter, but with marginally thinner walls.
I am not surprised they lost the adjustability either, considering the cost cutting.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The new bike sure is tempting, especially considering that I recently converted from a duc v-twin and the four-cylinder thing just isn't hitting the spot for me so far. Nothing against the I-4, I just am really missing the torque and the raw mechanical noise of my duc.

I'd presonally like to know what the diff is between the base and the S, because so far all I see is the forged wheels and the ohlins shock/suspenders. Those are notable differences, but I thought I had heard about a Termi system on the S, but that looks to maybe be incorrect.

Sign me up as a very interested candidate for a base 1098!

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
ten~39 said:
The new bike sure is tempting, especially considering that I recently converted from a duc v-twin and the four-cylinder thing just isn't hitting the spot for me so far. Nothing against the I-4, I just am really missing the torque and the raw mechanical noise of my duc.
Simple answer is get a V twin as well as the MV, thats what I've done :)

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
acruhl said:
the front tire is already as close to the wheel as they can get it,

Mine is as well! I'm sure you mean something else here :)

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts