MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I have been having this weird issue recently. The bike cranks and starts just fine the first time when cold. After riding for a while and if I stop and turn it off and let it stay for a while, it will not crank at all when I try to start it back again. When I turn the key, the fuel pump does its thing and bike goes through the diagnostics and gives me OK. Then I pull the clutch and press the starter button but it does absolutely nothing. Dead silence. I have to repeat the start procedure from the begining (sometimes 3 or 4 times) before it cranks and starts. It runs great once it fires up.

As a precaution I replaced the battery with a brand new Yuasa but that did not help. I searched the forum and I found a lot of threads on starting issues but nothing that matches my issue. :banghead:

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Angel B.

·
Registered
188 Posts
On the times that you have started the bike, ridden a bit. Stopped and the bike failed to restart. Did you notice if the trip meter was automatically reset to 0.0?

Ciao,
Dick

·
Registered
203 Posts
You said "Then I pull the clutch and press the starter button but it does absolutely nothing." so I guess that bike is in the gear.
Try put it in neutral (is the green light "on"?) and crank without pulling the clutch lever.

·
Super Moderator
22,875 Posts
Miko, pulling in the clutch lever is necessary to start a 1090RR.

Abazhle, look for a wire connector that may be loose...look at the clutch lever switch...

The manual has a nice diagnostic stream that tells you what is needed for the bike to turn over.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
On the times that you have started the bike, ridden a bit. Stopped and the bike failed to restart. Did you notice if the trip meter was automatically reset to 0.0?

Ciao,
Dick
Hi Dick, no the trip meter doesn't reset. It acts as though I have not pulled the clutch. I wonder if I have a faulty clutch sensor or something else of that nature...

Thanks,
Angel B.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You said "Then I pull the clutch and press the starter button but it does absolutely nothing." so I guess that bike is in the gear.
Try put it in neutral (is the green light "on"?) and crank without pulling the clutch lever.
Hi Miko, 2010 and newer Brutales won't crank without clutch. Regardless of the gear position.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Miko, pulling in the clutch lever is necessary to start a 1090RR.

Abazhle, look for a wire connector that may be loose...look at the clutch lever switch...

The manual has a nice diagnostic stream that tells you what is needed for the bike to turn over.
That is what I will do. Thank you!

·
Registered
405 Posts
The trip meter used to reset on mine, its a voltage drop issue, a lithium battery sorts this however the erratic hot start problem sounds like the clutch switch is faulty but then again if it starts OK when cold, ermmm

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The trip meter used to reset on mine, its a voltage drop issue, a lithium battery sorts this however the erratic hot start problem sounds like the clutch switch is faulty but then again if it starts OK when cold, ermmm
Well, billywhizzz...this morning it did not crank (for the very first time) even when cold. Started from the second attempt. So, it's got to be the clutch switch...I guess I will be replacing it.

Thanks!
Angel B.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi Miko, 2010 and newer Brutales won't crank without clutch. Regardless of the gear position.
Ouch that hurts :banghead:
The more I learn about the new Brutale, the more I appreciate my old one.

Well, billywhizzz...this morning it did not crank (for the very first time) even when cold. Started from the second attempt. So, it's got to be the clutch switch...I guess I will be replacing it.

Thanks!
Angel B.
That's exactly what I had in mind right from the start :)

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
?

Thanks!
Angel B.
just check the mount and the connections 1st, then use a meter on it
:drummer:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Also maybe check your starter motor...:)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Problem solved!

It was the clutch switch after all. I found a virtually new one from a crashed 2010 F4 on eBay. Got it, replaced it and voila! Perfect start every time! It only costed $25 (thank god)...

Thank you all for the prompt responses!

Angel B.

·
Registered
229 Posts

Ciao,
Dick
Mine reset earlier today after second start attempt. Is this due to low battery?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
229 Posts
The immobilizer led will slowly drain the battery I suspect. I've since hooked her up to a trickle charger (quick release connector)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Really?

I have a 1090rr, Mar 2011 build date.
Neutral and no clutch and it starts immediately.
Maybe my bike is faulty...:jsm::stickpoke:naughty:

My battery is also about 8 months old now and very very rarely (maybe twice) have I used the trickle charger, but it now (after successful resolution of a previous issue) starts perfect every time within 0-1 second of starter button being pressed.

I also have the MV alarm installed.

I heard recently that about 1kg of an F3 wiring harness was removed because it wasn't required.:wtf::green:

And there are many electrical issues with MV's that have been posted.

Reminds me of the Italian Alfa Romeo - beautiful cars and fun to drive but don't get water on them or they won't start...:bash:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts