MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find out exact the differences between the 2. Thinking about changing my 910R street bike for a younger model:smoking:

As far as I can see differences are:
Engine - fewer HP, but better torgue at lower rews on R
Frame - different material and welding
Wheels - Forged on RR
Brakes - Better spec Brembo (monobloc) on RR

But is that i it?? Not that is isn't enough but what about front suspension?? Does anyone know? And is there more?

Reason is that my country has extreme taxes on bikes and cars - meaning a difference between the 2 models on 10.000,- Euro

Mikael

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
the RR also has:

- better suspension, shock is fully adjustable, the R shock has noe compression adjustment
- slipper clutch
- steering damper
- two piece seat (vs bench type seat on the R)
- LED turn signals, front signals integrated into mirrors
- LED running light strip in headlight

as you mentioned
- 156 hp without balance shaft (R has 144 hp and runs a balancing shaft)
- monobloc brake calipers
- lighter forged aluminum 10-spoke wheels
- frame is TIG welded instad of MIG

The RR will be an all out bad-ass type of ride where the R is a little more subdued and "civilized". The average street rider will probably enjoy the R more. The track rider/very agressive & advanced rider will want the RR.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
nice synopsis sir!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I think it all depends on what year 1090 the 2010 -2011 1090rr has diferent specs to the 2012 1090rr,check the mv agusta official web site ,as I am sure the specs are different,
cheers eddy

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm confused now - are there different ranges/ names for different countries?

I say that because people talk about the 'new' 1090RR like it's never been available before, but we've had a model called that in the UK since 2010.

To me, here's what we have for 2012 (although please correct me if I'm wrong):

2011 models, but probably still available:

920 - 129hp, 921cc, matte black or white paintwork, matte front mudguard, star alloys, traction control, standard indicators/ mirrors, standard headlamp, one-piece seat, standard Brembos
990R - 139hp, 998cc, all-black, white or red paintwork (with silver accents), painted mudguard, star alloys, traction control, indicators in mirrors, standard headlamp, two-piece seat, standard Brembos
1090RR - 144hp, 1078cc, black/graphite grey, pearl white/black or red/silver, painted mudguard, lighter forged alloy wheels, slipper clutch, traction control, adjustable rear suspension, steering damper, indicators in mirrors, LED running light in headlamp, two-piece seat, monobloc Brembos (nb. the stickers on the bike might look like there's just *one* R in '1090RR')

2012 models:

920 - As above, RRP £10k
1090R - Appears to be a mish-mash of last year's 920, 990R and 1090RR: 144hp, 1078cc, £12k, new mapping for this model, all-white w/red stickers, all-black w/red stickers or all-red w/white stickers, painted mudguard, star alloys, traction control, standard indicators/ mirrors, standard headlamp, one-piece seat, standard Brembos
1090RR - Hmm, this is where it gets confusing... the UK websites suggests that the 2012 1090RR is *exactly* the same as last year in every aspect; it's as if they just haven't bothered updating their site. The UK brochure, however, shows a grey/black w/red frame colour scheme, but details the power as *144hp* and the RRP at £14k, same as it was last year. However, when you look at the Italian website, it shows a garish red/white/blue 'America' 1090RR plus the grey/black w/red frame model that I mentioned above, but says it has 158hp via new cams and throttle bodies. I assume that we're not getting that model in the UK then?

Can anyone add anything to help clarify things? I'd be interested to know more about this special mapping for the 2012 1090R, as I didn't find the previous 1090RR especially ferocious. Also, can anyone tell me anything about balancing shafts - referencing the F4, aren't some owners of the latest model unhappy that it has been removed for 2012?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I thought this years was a Brutale RR1090 and last year was a 1090RR ?

·
Registered
299 Posts
check
2012 model has different throttle body's(now the same as an F4) , camshaft and new mapping
the rest is all the same as 2011-2010 model , except the colours and the name
it's now an RR1090 as it was before an 1090RR
I'm not shore about the balance shaft I still think it has 2 and the F4 only has one
cheers
Peter

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems to be quite a big difference - well of to the bank then:mouthwate:mouthwate

·
Registered
2 Posts
Aha, I didn't notice that the 'R' had moved while writing my last. So, it seems that in the UK at least, for 2012 there's: 675, 920, R1090, 1090RR (last year's model) and maybe an RR1090 (not mentioned at all on their website).

Still confused though, as I'm holding a brochure for what would appear to be an RR1090, but it clearly states that it has 144hp, so it effectively looks like last year's model in new clothes. Either we have different models here, or the UK distributor's website and brochures are out-of-date/ plain wrong. Hey ho... would be nice to know what's actually available here for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts