MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just bought a 2011-1090RR Brutale... The bike looks bone stock, even the muffler is bone stock. The seller (trader) said the ECU is bone stock but I do not think so for a few reasons:
- the low rpm performance is phenomenal, I can ride super slow filtering through bad traffic from 1st to 3rd gear with absolutely no clutch modulation.
- I can pull away with no jerkiness in virtually any gear
- There is no sudden surge of power, power delivery is phenomenally linear from 1000 to redline
- Idle is always swinging up and down in an obvious way when cold and stabilizing itself but still there just not as obvious when hot, I read here on another post that is a behavior of Race ECU...

The questions are:
- How do I confirm this
- How to tell if mine is a race ECU or simply a reflashed stock ECU?
- If so, how do I confirm if my exhaust flapper has been disabled?
- Does race ECU/reflashed ECU disables closed loop operation so now I can simply buy Bazzaz to further tune the bike?
- Can I get away with no further tuning when replacing exhaust and air filter if I indeed have a race ECU?
- Can race ECU be tuned further without addition of piggyback tuner?

As always, many thanks in advance folks ???

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Easiest way to see if it is a race ecu will be to pull the tank and check out the numbers on the ecu. It is positioned behind the engine block. Be very careful with the original plastic fuel line connectors.

·
Super Moderator
22,851 Posts
Whoa Nelly, it's not that easy!

To access the numbers of the ECU, you must remove the fuel tank and airbox.
Then you must remove the connectors on the ECU.
Then you must be a contortionist...or use a mirror.

How it looks before connections removed:

IMG_0785r.jpg

A stock ECU (LEFT) next to a RACE ECU (RIGHT)

IMG_0816r.jpg with comments.jpg

·
Super Moderator
22,851 Posts
It takes the better part of a day just get to determine if the ECU is stock or not.

If the bike is running well, why mess with it?

If you put on a pipe and and air filter, yes you will need to dyno tune the ECU using a guy who understands what he is doing.

·
Super Moderator
22,851 Posts
Exhaust Valve

To disable the exhaust valve open, remove the control cables from the exhaust valve under the rear brake master cylinder:

IMG_0006r.jpg

IMG_0015r.jpg

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Easiest way to see if it is a race ecu will be to pull the tank and check out the numbers on the ecu. It is positioned behind the engine block. Be very careful with the original plastic fuel line connectors.
Dang I am slow, had I known this just two days ago, I pulled my tank and airbox just two days ago to adjust throttle cable, the genius before me decided that it is a good idea to adjust throttle cable slack from the adjuster by the throttle body practically leaving the handgrip adjuster fully collapsed... Well well, just gotta do it all over again and sprain my back again....
Thanks for the info my man!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To access the numbers of the ECU, you must remove the fuel tank and airbox.
Then you must remove the connectors on the ECU.
Then you must be a contortionist...or use a mirror.

How it looks before connections removed:

View attachment 386105

A stock ECU (LEFT) next to a RACE ECU (RIGHT)

View attachment 386113
This is awesome!! Very informative... Many thanks!!

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It takes the better part of a day just get to determine if the ECU is stock or not.

If the bike is running well, why mess with it?

If you put on a pipe and and air filter, yes you will need to dyno tune the ECU using a guy who understands what he is doing.
I cannot leave a bolt alone, more so an ECU.... As soon as I figured out how to mess with this ECU I will spend at least several days tuning it using my butt dyno...I am not a big fan of using chassis dyno, too many variables driving in this country's traffic that I found out long ago during my Harley days that best result to suit my individual riding style would be by doing the tune myself using my own real world situation... Local tuner here also tends to leave the idle overly rich under a false assumption that rich idle AFR will cool the engine down, a situation which I am against for it will only waste fuel, fouling plugs and actually making the engine hotter, with the general traffic situation in my country we spend quite some time idling and in this situation I found out long ago that anywhere between 14.0 - 14.7 idle AFR actually work best.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To disable the exhaust valve open, remove the control cables from the exhaust valve under the rear brake master cylinder:

View attachment 386121

View attachment 386129
How do I figure out if this actuator is still activated by the ECU or not? Is there any movement sequence during engine start or any specific technique to check? Disconnecting this cable will work for sure but if my ECU already disables this I prefer not to have any cable dangling. Many thanks!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
How do I confirm if my lambda sensor has been disabled? Does Race ECU disables lambda sensor? Based on how smooth my engine behaves I am 90% certain the lambda sensor have been disabled, but I would like to be 100% sure because it will decide on what is next.

If it is already disabled I will get Bazzaz from a friendly local shop. If it is still on I will order Rexxer EVO. Personally I prefer Bazzaz as it will come with wideband O2 sensor making my goal for tuning it myself much easier, Rexxer EVO comes with preloaded map and I am not a big fan of canned map as nothing is 100% with canned map.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Disconnect the o2 sensor, if you don't get an error on the dash then the ecu isn't using it. The race ecu doens't use it, well at least the one in my 1090RR doesn't.
Same with the exhaust valve, if you disconnect the wires then it will throw an error if using the stock ecu.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Disconnect the o2 sensor, if you don't get an error on the dash then the ecu isn't using it. The race ecu doens't use it, well at least the one in my 1090RR doesn't.
Same with the exhaust valve, if you disconnect the wires then it will throw an error if using the stock ecu.
Sweetttt. Thanks for the tips

1 - 12 of 12 Posts