MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bled the clutch line at the slave just to change the fluid, and just changed the oil to new 10w60, but this thing has almost like a clutch drag and when I'm putting around the gas station parking lot in 1st, with the clutch pulled in, and blipping the throttle, I can feel it in the rear wheel. I've read up a little and the gear and clutch in this bike appear to be pretty tight and you get a little drag in the clutch when disengaged, is this true? If so, is it enough that I should be feeling it in the rear wheel? When I test rode a new 1090RR, I don't remember it feeling or being like this... it's quite off putting.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have the same issue on my F4 2011, seems worse after just starting the bike then goes away when warmed up.
Not got to the bottom of it yet.....still looking....slowly.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same issue on my F4 2011, seems worse after just starting the bike then goes away when warmed up.
Not got to the bottom of it yet.....still looking....slowly.
Has it always done it?

·
Super Moderator
22,332 Posts
I feel it in my 2010 1090RR when cold.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Sounds like the usual problem, check lever stroke and pivot point. Thick oil in cold temps could cause this, but I blame a slightly too short slave cylinder stroke.

I wonder if it's possible to add a spacer behind the slave piston?

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I have bled the clutch line at the slave just to change the fluid, and just changed the oil to new 10w60, but this thing has almost like a clutch drag and when I'm putting around the gas station parking lot in 1st, with the clutch pulled in, and blipping the throttle, I can feel it in the rear wheel. I've read up a little and the gear and clutch in this bike appear to be pretty tight and you get a little drag in the clutch when disengaged, is this true? If so, is it enough that I should be feeling it in the rear wheel? When I test rode a new 1090RR, I don't remember it feeling or being like this... it's quite off putting.
never remember that feeling when I had the bike. I think you broke it :stickpoke :)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
never remember that feeling when I had the bike. I think you broke it :stickpoke :)
I haven't had the chance to... lol.. I haven't ridden it besides around the block once since I brought it home. Just rode it to the tax collector's office this morning to get it registered.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like the usual problem, check lever stroke and pivot point. Thick oil in cold temps could cause this, but I blame a slightly too short slave cylinder stroke.

I wonder if it's possible to add a spacer behind the slave piston?
Motul 7100 10w60 brand new, lever is all the way out. Spacer huh? I wonder how much could be added to the rod length? That would be pretty easy to make rather than making a tiny spacer to sit in the slave.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Is it the same oil as was in it previously?
You may just have a couple of clutch plates sticking and creating the drag. If it still does it after some heat cycles, it should then be investigated further.

I have never had an issue like the symptoms that you have got.

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
?

Like Donsy said check the function of the M/C

Bleed the system

A slave spacer won't help ......it's how much fluid the M/C is displacing.....

The spring keeps the pushrod against the pressure plate

If the hydraulics are good......it's in the clutch

We've recently seen;

Loose clutch springs tilting the pressure plate

Broken clutch hubs

And a basket with no fingers

A loose hub nut can also cause clutch drag

:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like Donsy said check the function of the M/C

Bleed the system

A slave spacer won't help ......it's how much fluid the M/C is displacing.....

The spring keeps the pushrod against the pressure plate

If the hydraulics are good......it's in the clutch

We've recently seen;

Loose clutch springs tilting the pressure plate

Broken clutch hubs

And a basket with no fingers

A loose hub nut can also cause clutch drag

:popcorn:
Welp, that's not really what I wanted to hear... :bawling: I'll bleed the MC and slave again, although I don't see why it would have ever been open to let air in... but I guess you never know. I have enough "bike things" going on, I really don't want to have to dig into the clutch itself.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I never had anything wrong with the clutch so it would seem there may be some air in the system.
It was the same before and after I bled it and put in new fluid... that's the only reason I bled it as I felt it the first time I rode it. If the system has never been opened, there would be no air in it. I think this is a normal thing that I'm just not used to... so I'm just poking around. The bike shifts fine, and it ok to get in to and out of neutral, as far as I can tell (every bike is different).

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, was good to talk to Noel and get a little more insight on this. It seems/sounds like it is oil between the clutch plates causing drag, as I have no issues changing gears or finding neutral (at least no more than normal on any other bike). So I will perform his bleeding process, and report back any changes. Not trying to get everyone all up in a big hoopla about it... just exercising my inquiring mind as to what I observe and feel vs. my experience on other MVs and motorcycles.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Mine does that when cold. I ride it every other week if I'm lucky. Always figured it was sticky clutch plates from lack of use. I didn't think it was enough of a problem to do anything about it, as I had other bikes that acted the same way. If we rode the bikes more, it would probably go away,

·
Vendor
5,335 Posts
If the clutch slave cylinder piston seal is worn,air can enter the system under normal operation,it's called air ingress which is common to any hydraulic system.It doesn't need to be open to air to cause this problem.Replacing the slave cylinder/seal will fix the problem if loss of lever pressure is your issue.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If the clutch slave cylinder piston seal is worn,air can enter the system under normal operation,it's called air ingress which is common to any hydraulic system.It doesn't need to be open to air to cause this problem.Replacing the slave cylinder/seal will fix the problem if loss of lever pressure is your issue.
Well there is some interesting information that I haven't heard yet. Thanks Mitchy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts