MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,your thoughts on this one ,Have got my mates 1090rr brutale in the garage ,all tuned up,now he has said that his clutch is grabbing when cold, and it was,put it in first and it wants to take off. ok so i decided to bleed the clutch slave and thats all good ,took the oil cap off and can see the plates disengage with no problems.

Gears are clunky ,when hot it improves a fair bit but not anywhere near the smoothness of my 1078.

This is my thoughts ,he has always used mobile 1 oil,and i am thinking the viscosity of this oil is to high,and making the plates stick.I have suggested we try a different oil. ????????????????

cheers eddy

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Eddy,i think it has more to do with additive packages in different brands than viscosity,because as temp rises so does viscosity,i'm having good results with Amsoil,particularly with gearchange and engine noise,i think Penrite would be another good alternative.Cheers Steve

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Eddy, IF he is using Mobile 1 for cars, I would certainly change that. As Steve said, the additive package for automotive oil is no good for wet clutches.

Switch to a motorcycle specific oil. I use the AMSOil 20w50 motorcycle oil with no issues.

·
Registered
14,409 Posts
?

and Chuck I have 1,200,000 mi on bikes with wet clutches running strictly automotive oil, presently Mobil 1, 15w50

with no issues......

David Elias has no problem with 219 RWHP, stock clutch with stiffer springs.....he sent me a set:)

motorcycle specific oil......is like motorcycle specific oil filters.....

Marketing BS....

K&N sells a garbage oil filter for $15-17, MV filters, same junk quality, are how much????? ~$20+

why not use a Purolator PL-14612, the highest rated filter made for ~$7 WITH TAX??????

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well just put Ipone 10W 50 Full synthetic racing oil in his bike ,I have been running this in my 1078 for a while and have smooth gear changes and no phantoms at all.Will report back on his bike after a bit of riding.

cheers eddy

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I know you said it looked like the plates were disengaging, but is it using the stock or aftermarket slave? Any chance it's falling a hair short of full disengagement? Weak slave or master seals?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reckler, stock slave and yes you might be correct on the full disengagement ,will check that if the oil change does not work,

cheers

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Donsy, just maybe my springs are just that little bit worn, who knows, My advice ,make shaw your springs are about 42mm approx. for this model bike maybe. I know the spring should be no less than 39mm,maybe loose 1mm here and loose another say 2mm on wear on the plates ,it starts to add up,3mm to 4mm across the board ,would cause less force occurring . anyway easy fix, and no damage can occur using these fibre washers. Thanks for your help Donsy.

cheers eddy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts