MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock mirrors just began falling apart (really the mirror fell out while riding) so I decided to try mounting the Barracuda mirrors with integrated signals. I was able to drill and tap the existing bar mounts to fit the 10mm stems of the Barracuda mirrors and it all looks really nice (I'll post some pics). Only problem is I get no turn signal lights when I wire them up. I tested the old signals just to make sure I hadn't popped a fuse or relay and sure enough they work fine. Does anyone know the proper resistance needed? I guess I'll try testing the old signals with a meter and see if there's a major difference. Any advice? Thanks!

·
Registered
405 Posts
They should light up without a resistor, so assuming they are LED's ?? they are probably wired up the wrong way which means they won't light up at all. To get the flash rate you may need to add resistors, I fitted some LEDs to my 1090, no resistor flashed very fast, 1 x 23 ohm resistor flashed ok but after a while they would stop flashing until the ignition was turned off and and on again. Finally I fitted 2 x 23 ohm resistors per side and all is good, it all depends on what current draw the Barracudas have.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Billywhizzz. Thanks I was thinking it might be the resistance issue. I just wrongly assumed that replacing led lights with led lights would work! When I connect up the barracudas (tried both ways) I get one quick flash from the tail lights then I have to reset the ignition to get anything to work. I guess I'll try a few resistors and see what happens. I can't seem to find any info on the barracudas so I guess it will be trial and error. Thanks again for all the feedback. I'll post some pics up as soon as I get them working! These are the mirrors
http://www.barracudamoto.it/en/shop/street-indicator/

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well this has turned out to be a major PITA. I added one 10-watt/10-Ohm resistor to front and tested and still got only one flash in the rear and then nothing until an ignition reset. Added a second 10-watt/10-Ohm resistor and now get a steady flash in the front and rear but the front is only about half brightness. I thought that perhaps balancing out the resistors between the front and rear would fix that but no go. I guess its time to start looking for a new flasher relay that might actually work.

·
Registered
405 Posts
How have you connected the resistors, is series or in a parallel? Should be in parallel, for the LEDs fitted to mine had to use 2 x 23 ohms resistors per front indicator.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Slyfox My Left Mirror Fell Out Also. That Should Be A Factory Covered Problem. The Dam Thing Cost Almost Two Bills, That Sucks. Not Sure About Thos Italians.

·
Registered
207 Posts
1090rr Mirrors

WHATS THE STORY WIYH THE MIRRORS? THIS IS THE THRID TIME I HERD OF THIS. AND IT HAPPENED TO ME ALSO. TWO BILLS FOR ONE MIRROR :cry:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally found the magic number.....12-20Ohms. Anything over or under and you get a tripped circuit. 12Ohms seems about as good as it gets in order to maintain brightness. I ordered some 12 Ohm/12watt resistors so I don't have a pile of resistors behind the front light. Maybe I'll finally get this working this weekend! And yes I lost both of the stock mirrors. Just popped out while riding. I'm working on getting them replaced under warranty so I at least have them. I just don't see them lasting very long unless they have upgraded the design of the thing since. Thanks for everyone's help. I'll get some pics as soon as its all put back together. Although I haven't ridden with them yet I don't see the barracuda's being any better for visibility than the stock ones but they are solid and won't fall apart while riding either.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Lost my left mirror last weekend. POS. Well, sounds like the Barracudas aren't worth the trouble. Whatever I use to replace the craptastic stockers will at least need to show me what's behind. Pretty disappointing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pictures

Got things mostly installed and took a little test ride. The barracudas do actually provide a little more visibility of whats behind you over the stock mirrors. After all the messing with resistors I'm glad I got them working. Think they look pretty good on the bike and are much improved over the stock ones. Some quick pictures I took today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts