MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few weeks, culminating in a disastrous ride to work this morning, my bike has been completely cutting out. It runs fine, then once while accelerating and several times while idling at the lights, the engine just stops. No warning, no obvious reason, it just stops. Then the dashboard resets itself, there's a test, and I can restart it again.
Today was a bit differerent, where it stopped, then the dashboard went off completely and the start button was unresponsive. I pushed the bike to the kerb and waited for a few minutes, then tried turning it off and on again. This time it started, and I was able to ride for a while before it happened again. Eventually, after about three or four of these random stops, I made it home. There were some error messages appearing on the dash 'Engine', 'Crankshaft', but of course when I got home, put the bike on the sidestand and stood beside it waiting to take a photo of the error - nothing happened. It was idling away without a problem - albeit a bit fast. There may have been a strange noise coming from the engine, although I never normally listen to it that close without my helmet and earplugs on, so maybe it always sounds like that.
Does anyone have any suggestions before I take it to the dealer?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
My 1090 had a few strange things like the above , ended up being a couple of wires in the main loom were busted - it was intermittent and got worse over time until a permanent fault and unable to start. Assuming the battery connections are good I'd get a good auto-electrician to take a look.

·
Super Moderator
22,065 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have a 1090RR, at first, approx one in every ten it would just not start, no power after turning the key.
Traced back to some burnt connections close to the battery. Once replaced never missed a beat.

Different symptom I know but seems the wiring on these can sometimes be a little iffy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Had a good look last night at all the electrics. Pushed plugs in and wiggled around, with bike running, including kill switch. Nothing obvious, except for that plug on top of the solenoid. The wires look hardened and slightly burnt. Will pull that apart and take a closer look again tonight.

Also, one rubber hose was disconnected - two hoses come from under the fuel tank and go into a Y connection to drain into one hose that hangs down under the bike. I'm sure that has nothing to do with the problem though.

·
Administrator
19,517 Posts
Also, one rubber hose was disconnected - two hoses come from under the fuel tank and go into a Y connection to drain into one hose that hangs down under the bike. I'm sure that has nothing to do with the problem though.
One is the water drain from gas cap recess and the other is the gas cap vent..... Nothing to do with it.....but the crispy primary power connection would !!!!

·
Super Moderator
22,065 Posts
That is certainly a contributor. It looks like you have had a direct hot-short across your battery through that connection.

·
Administrator
19,517 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Wow... guys, just speculating, but isn’t there a good chance that this plugs condition for is a secondary fault, ie a consequence of something else being out of tolerance further up the line? Or just material fatigue in the wiring itself?
Either way, I’m sure this has occurred to you but please don’t ride that bike till it’s fixed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,065 Posts
This is a common occurrence across the line. The spade connection gets loose, corrosion sets in, high resistance developes, high heat is generated through current flow, then melting and discoloration and embrittlement happen.
If it’s allowed to go unchecked, you can have a fire.

·
Administrator
19,517 Posts
Older Hondas are infamous for this...and I have seen similar on a lot of other brands. Typically the Stator wires going to the Rectifier, but anywhere there is high current and loose connection.

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
?

Meteoroz;

Ed's source is here in the US......

Many Yamahas use the same starter solenoid so the plugs are the same
Solenoid is part # 4SV-81940-12

:wink2:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sequel (Hopefully):

Went to Jaycar and bought a Series 250 4-Way Automotive Connector (https://www.jaycar.com.au/automotive-4-way-plug-socket-250-series/p/PP2066) for about $3.50. I fitted it about an hour ago, being careful to chop an inch or so off the wires. There's enough length in them for another inch or so.
I had also taken photos beforehand so as not to get them in the wrong sockets. Seems like this is a pretty standard auto socket.

Just took the bike for a test ride in low traffic, sticking to the lane nearest the kerb, just in case. Not a hint of a problem. Tried lugging it, revving to around 10k, plenty of idling at the lights, and I think that trust has been restored.

So thanks everyone for your time and excellent suggestions, and let's hope that this is the last you hear from me on this matter....

·
Super Moderator
22,065 Posts
Thanks you for reporting back on your success! Many folks don't take the time to do that. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sequel (Hopefully):

Went to Jaycar and bought a Series 250 4-Way Automotive Connector (https://www.jaycar.com.au/automotive-4-way-plug-socket-250-series/p/PP2066) for about $3.50. I fitted it about an hour ago, being careful to chop an inch or so off the wires. There's enough length in them for another inch or so.
I had also taken photos beforehand so as not to get them in the wrong sockets. Seems like this is a pretty standard auto socket.

Just took the bike for a test ride in low traffic, sticking to the lane nearest the kerb, just in case. Not a hint of a problem. Tried lugging it, revving to around 10k, plenty of idling at the lights, and I think that trust has been restored.

So thanks everyone for your time and excellent suggestions, and let's hope that this is the last you hear from me on this matter....
So I too have been having the same issues! I checked my plug and this is what I found. I’ll have to do the same. Thanks for the link to the part!

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts