MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its been quite a few years since I wrote off my F4 SPR and it looks like I'm climbing back into the saddle. Bought the house, had a kid and the time's right to buy another MV. I'm a bit older (no wiser) and a bit more stiff so I'm looking at a new Brutale rather than another F4. That and no F4 will live up to my memories of the SPR anyway.

So I'm looking at either a new 1090R or a 1090RR. My preference is for something in Black which seems to rule out the 2014 1090RR. I'd also like to go an aftermarket exhaust (loved my old RG3s spitting fire) but I'd also like to keep the twin pipe look of the 1090.

Anyone got any advice which way I should jump? Are there any difference between the 2013 and 2014 models? I've seen reviews saying that the 2014 bikes have better build quality and fueling. Anyone aware of any reason why I should wait for a 2015 model?

Cheers

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Tron, out riding earlier on a guy rode into R/ Warriors cafe on the Old Road on a matte black 1090, it looks the part if your into all black,the difference between models depends on what type of riding your going to do,simply the 1090RR has a peakier motor,there's a good dyno comparison and review at Motorcycle USA,but since that test the RR has lost the CroMo frame and forged wheels,a friend has a 2013RR and we have swapped bikes, it's not much different to ride but gearing is shorter to overcome the drop in torque but really these bikes have got so much grunt it's just what is your preference,i still love the standard 1090 motor in my RR,David at MotoTecnica in Artarmon is doing some great deals and there's good s/hand bikes from what i've seen on Bikesales.Cheers Steve

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers mate - definitely chasing a black bike again. I'm leaning towards the 1090R at the moment due to the black with red frame and the additional torque over the RR. The more research I do the more practical the 1090R seems over the 1090RR - I'm not intending to race. I'm current trawling for mods since I'd rather walk into a dealer knowing exactly what I want to do and get it all done at once. At this stage I'll end up getting:
- a twincan full exhaust system
- bar-end mirrors
- bellypan
- LED lighting kit - apparently theres a barend kit?
- tail tidy

Anyone got any recommendation?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
If it has to be black buy a used 920 and save a load. Spend the extra on some new wheels, exhaust, ecu etc. Option two get a 2012 1090RR with the red frame/matt tank like I have, 15-16K should get you one of those now. Or maybe I could interest you in a nice 910R ...

·
Registered
5,045 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have an RR - I haven't ridden the R but with a Rexxer reflash that cost $300 plus some dyno time my bike makes 74 ft. lbs. of torque and 147 RHP. With gearing of 15/43 the bike has more than enough low end grunt and plenty of top end too. Buy the best bike you can afford and get the color you like - you can't go wrong.

As we all know - be careful with magazine reviews - I spent a bunch of time riding the 1090RR back to back with the Tuono and while it rode great - it was an easy choice. I've also spent plenty of time on the BMW S1000RR (the naked) and it's an awesome bike but the 1090RR has more grunt. I've read lots of reviews that don't seem to line up with what I've experienced.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had a 2012 R for 2 years. Great bike and my first MV Agusta. Really loved the bike. Had a chance to up grade to a 2014 RR. Very happy with the new bike. Seems more refined then the 12. motor is great in both models.
Do not think there is a bad choice. All are beautiful and a blast to own. Enjoy your new scooter!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My last MV was an F4 SPR that I used as my only form of transport for 2 years so I don't mind living with peaky engines. I also want to buy new which rules out the current RR range (I really want a black bike again - call it nostalgia). Anyone got an inkling of the 2015 colour range?

Good call Multipass regarding the re-tune. Since I'll definitely be going down an aftermarket exhuast I can get things retuned for torque rather than peak power (to a certain extent anyway) at the same time. What sort of exhaust setup are you running mate or was it just an ECU re-flash?

Any advice on aftermarket exhausts that are in the loud/obnoxious/spit fire category?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So anyone got more info on this beast and its mods? I think I'm in love....

I'm aware it was a Cannonball upgrade kit which is no longer on offer but just replicating the gross bodywork and exhaust would probably be sufficient for me - I doubt the engine mods are available any more.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Arrow manifold/OEM exhaust

My last MV was an F4 SPR that I used as my only form of transport for 2 years so I don't mind living with peaky engines. I also want to buy new which rules out the current RR range (I really want a black bike again - call it nostalgia). Anyone got an inkling of the 2015 colour range?

Good call Multipass regarding the re-tune. Since I'll definitely be going down an aftermarket exhuast I can get things retuned for torque rather than peak power (to a certain extent anyway) at the same time. What sort of exhaust setup are you running mate or was it just an ECU re-flash?

Any advice on aftermarket exhausts that are in the loud/obnoxious/spit fire category?
I'm using the OEM exhaust with an Arrow manifold and reflashed the ECU to accommodate the manifold. I like this set up because it's loud when you want it be but gentle throttle control is all you need to fly under the radar.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had the same considerations about a year ago. Bought a 2012 RR, found a new one last year in Germany. Went for the 2012 only because of the the colourscheme. Love the matte black/grey.

I think the suspension parts and brakes are better on the RR, more refined and after modifications there are no lack og midrange power what so ever. 111NM and 159RWP.

So my opinion is, if difference in price is not an issue - go for the RR in the colours you like. Or do like Sidney910r, create you own:)

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone got recommendations for a custom paint place in Canberra, Melbourne or Sydney?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts