MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
just collected my 1090 RR last week (first one on the road in Singapore! :brutale:).
Fantastic bike and very close to my heart (I am from Varese and from my holiday place on the lake I can see MV factory :) ...).
Only problem so far after almost 300 km is a very nasty nasty noise I get from the Dash/Dash Cover when I roll-on in any gear but first (from 3000 until 4000 rpm).
Dealer has been nice enough to put some sponged tape between Dash and the Dash Cover but the nasty "PRRRRRRTTTT" is still there and quite loud, spoiling the music coming from the engin and the exhaust :cry:
Anybody can help?
Ciaoooo

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi

Congrats on the new bike. I picked up my 1090 a couple of months back. I have the same problem, its like a buzzing noise when putting the power on. I'm guessing but I think its down to the cheap plastic the original dash cover is made of so I've ordered a carbon fibre one from evolution which should arrive soon. Will let you know if it cures the problem.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I don't have that - you're saying it's a buzz from the plastic? have you tried just removing the cover for a short ride to see if it goes away?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don`t own a 1090 or 990 (proud owner of a 910s), but I´ve riden both new models a couple of times, and have noticed a plastic rattle sound, not that loud, that seems to come form somewhere in the front.

Checking the front I´ve noticed that the throttle cable touches de dash cover, maybe that is....
Also I think I´ve read here in the forum, that there were something that gets loose, or was loose in the first place, in the mirror assembly that may be causing this rattle sound.

anyway congratulations on your new bike!

regards
Antonio

·
Registered
131 Posts
Get the dealer to fix it. Thats what they are there for. time is $ & you already paid for their time.

My $0.02, good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the mirrors!!!

Hi Guys,
I took off the dash cover and then I went around without it for a few kms and the noise is still there.
I was going insane because I could not detect where it was coming from (I wear full face helmet) and then ... I got it!
It's both mirrors and because they buzz at the same time, for some sort of stereo effect it looks like the noise comes from the dash.
OK, now that I have established the source ... what to do next?
Ciao!

·
Registered
210 Posts
This is what the dealer will describe as a unique characteristic of the Brutale 1090
Now you've narrowed it down for us I am going to try putting some rubber between the handlebars and mirrors, will let you now if it works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went to dealer and checked mirrors on a 990 ans a 1090 he has in showroom and both present the same problem: mirror a little bit too loose that can "buzz" against the upper lip of the black plastic cover. On an Italian forum (www.f4brutale.it) they say that MV is aware of this problem and a recall might be in the pipeline. I will keep you guys updated ...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ah yes, my mirrors just flopped around when I got the bike - totally useless. When I asked the shop they said they all do that so I popped the mirror glass out and then cleaned the ball in the housing and the cup on the back of the mirror with brakeclean and then put a piece of electrical tape onto the ball and refit the mirror glass. It took up the slack and the mirrors stay adjusted now.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I just adjusted the mirror to point down (ie 6 o'clock) as much as it would go in its range and then put my finger in behind it (around 10 o'clock position) and popped it out. It has little guides in the housing setup that keep the mirror from rotating within the housing, those would be the only thing I think you could potentially break if you try to rotate the mirror.

It popped out pretty easily but it's all flimsy injection-molded plastic - not very strong.

The mirror itself is reasonably sturdy (except for the plastic bits) - I wouldn't worry too much about breaking it, just don't try to rotate it in the housing (which won't work anyway as there isn't a lot of clearance around the mirror within the housing.

I figured if I broke it I would just buy different mirrors - the lens on my left mirror had already fallen out underway prior to my taking delivery and they were completely worthless.

If anyone has any suggestions for LED-equipped mirrors, I'm still interested in replacing them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
lose the p.o.s. stock mirrors (you can't see anything in them anyways) and go out and get yourself some CRG lane-splitters. Buzz gone, you can actually see what's behind you, not to mention that they look better too.
:smoking:

·
Registered
86 Posts
lose the p.o.s. stock mirrors (you can't see anything in them anyways) and go out and get yourself some CRG lane-splitters. Buzz gone, you can actually see what's behind you, not to mention that they look better too.
I have an older model with the same buzz. It's carbon fiber dash cover and I'm not certain it is the mirrors. I still hear it when they are removed. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do the CRGs have indicators included?

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 1078 in singapore also has some chipping sound from alternator... also driving me nuts after all kinds to diagnoses... now I just live with it.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, I have just joined and am new to all this... Not even sure I am using it properly.

Yep... got exactly the same problem as you have. I have a new 990R arrived last month in the UK. Complete revelation after struggling with an 312R F4 for too long...

However, I've got two issues. Nasty rattle between 2K and 3K rev's in 1st and 2nd gear. Its definitely coming from the clock and housing, not the Mirrors. Its bloody distracting and its booked in to go to dealers Moto Strada next week.

The the other more dangerous issue is that its cutting out at about 3K revs when slowing down through the gears. Complete cut out - needs to be clutch and restart. Has anyone got any ideas. Again, dealer issue but its causing dangerous situations. Feels like fueling...

·
Registered
178 Posts
With my 1090 its definitely the mirrors. If i push them all the way down (making them 100% useless from 85% useless) They do not vibrate, and the sound is glorious. I can also see where the mirror is vibrating against the plastic (In more than one spot) .

Looks to me like there was a mistake in the sizing of the mirror for the mirror housing. Tolerance is way too tight. My mirrors do not even freeley rotate for adjustment. Problem with replacing them is that the turn signals are incorporated into the housing. MV probably ordered a bucket load of these and they showed up like this. The OEM manaufacturer of the actual mirror would be where I would lay the blame, as they probably blew the mirror dimensions. I will have the dealer sort it out at the 1,000 km check (this weekend!).

Other than that, this bike has broken in beautifully. I used to get some stalling as the throttle is still a little snatchy in sport mode than I'm used to (and I have an 1198 which can be tricky down low), but now, it never does. Fires up in a microsecond and I don't have a single complaint. I'm 6-2 240 and commute in comfort everyday.

·
Registered
14 Posts
too funny! I was going crazy with the noise as well and just accepted it. Since I do not like stoc mirrors and I am a big fan of bar end mirrors, I installed CRG bar end mirrors and built custom led's into the instrument cowel. I will get pics shorlty but but I love the whle clean look of the bars now that the stock mirrors are gone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts