MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can this be done without breaking the glass ?

My R/H mirror body is a tiny bit loose on the stem and i presume there must be something to tighten behind the mirror glass .

steve

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

My R/H mirror body is a tiny bit loose on the stem and i presume there must be something to tighten behind the mirror glass .

steve
Hi Steve, I have the same issue (loose mirror) and when the bike is travelling, there is a vibration in the RHS mirror...I am working on this..will let you know when I have an answer....

·
Registered
33 Posts

steve
On mine, mirror removal only required riding down the road. :bawling: But, before that, I learned that you can rotate the mirror down and carefully pry the ball out of the socket with a screwdriver, or just pull down on the glass. Terrible design, really.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
On mine, mirror removal only required riding down the road. :bawling: But, before that, I learned that you can rotate the mirror down and carefully pry the ball out of the socket with a screwdriver, or just pull down on the glass. Terrible design, really.
Yes, terrible design...and thanks for the info ! :yo:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Easy fix

My 1090RR mirrors were a problem from the start, and this simple fix has worked well for almost two years.

I wet the ball with a few drops of water, sprinkled a few dozen grains of fine beach sand on the ball, the water retained the sand on the surface of the ball during the time it took to insert the ball back into the socket. The water soon evaporates, leaving the grit in place to provide added friction, eliminating the mirror drift, while allowing adjustment as required.

Sand, unlike things like chewing gum or adhesive tape is not affected by temperature, or aging, and the this quick fix has worked well.

Earlier attempts to tighten the simple steel coil spring surrounding the fingers of the socket were not as long lasting as the sand. The right side mirror has not needed adjusting in a few thousand miles.

Ciao,
Dick

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My 1090RR mirrors were a problem from the start, and this simple fix has worked well for almost two years.

I wet the ball with a few drops of water, sprinkled a few dozen grains of fine beach sand on the ball, the water retained the sand on the surface of the ball during the time it took to insert the ball back into the socket. The water soon evaporates, leaving the grit in place to provide added friction, eliminating the mirror drift, while allowing adjustment as required.

Sand, unlike things like chewing gum or adhesive tape is not affected by temperature, or aging, and the this quick fix has worked well.

Earlier attempts to tighten the simple steel coil spring surrounding the fingers of the socket were not as long lasting as the sand. The right side mirror has not needed adjusting in a few thousand miles.

Ciao,
Dick
Thank you ! :yo: Will try this out this weekend! Awesome!!

·
Super Moderator
22,507 Posts
Here's How:

The way to remove the glass from the ball socket without prying is to gently press your finger into the upper outer edge of the glass...as if trying to adjust the mirror to a higher more outside view...be ready to catch the glass as it will pop out of the socket joint, without damage, when enough pressure is applied...and that isn't much!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The way to remove the glass from the ball socket without prying is to gently press your finger into the upper outer edge of the glass...as if trying to adjust the mirror to a higher more outside view...be ready to catch the glass as it will pop out of the socket joint, without damage, when enough pressure is applied...and that isn't much!
This is why this site rocks ! Tons of experience and knowledge in one location. Thank you silentservice!:yo:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still havent got round to sorting this out but having just cleaned my bike i have noticed its probably a little looser so better get it done .

I understand now how to remove the glass , can anyone tell me how the pastic pod is fixed to the stem ?

i.e will i be able to correct it once the glass is out ?

any advice welcome

Steve

·
Registered
64 Posts
If your bike is still under warranty, "accidentally" drop the glass and break it. MV will warranty replace both complete assemblies with a type that the glass does not move...or fall out! I put them on my bike and much improved. They are the Euro type mirrors.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Had both mirror assemblies replaced under warranty. It is a known issue and recognised by MV, so you should not have a problem getting it authorised.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If your bike is still under warranty, "accidentally" drop the glass and break it. MV will warranty replace both complete assemblies with a type that the glass does not move...or fall out! I put them on my bike and much improved. They are the Euro type mirrors.

I've had one of my mirrors fall out, and it was warrantied with the type described above. Having no adjustment really limits the mirror's usability (for me anyway, if it were a bit shorter no problem).

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've had one of my mirrors fall out, and it was warrantied with the type described above. Having no adjustment really limits the mirror's usability (for me anyway, if it were a bit shorter no problem).

Having the luxury of working for an MV dealer, I installed the replacement mirrors myself. 1st the Fu**ing washers they send as clips are a joke...throw them away and get some e clamps. 2nd remove the locater pin on the right side handlebar, this way you can move the assembly to adjust the mirrors vertical position. You adjust the new mirrors by loosening the entire perch and moving up/down. The horizontal adjustment is easy, remove the rubber cap, loosen the bolt and turn. Once dialed in they stay that way.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not looking to promising for replacement as bike is out of warranty so may try to fix it myself .

Back to the original question does anyone know how the pod is attached to the ali stem ?

Also the reply regarding pressing the glass at the top to release it , is this refering to US or Euro mirrors , mine is Euro .

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
99 Posts
I said this before: Whoever designed the Brutale mirrors should be banned from designing anything for life. Get a pair of Rizomas. Complement it with a set of nice LED blinkers (I chose Melotti) and you are done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts