MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone just removed the cat by changing the headers only ? i.e standard silencers and ECU .

If so what was the result ?

Not looking to make the bike faster or sound any different but would like to clean up the throttle response around 4-5 k without spending anymore £'s than is necessary.

Any advice welcome .

Steve

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing...

I plan on keeping the stock silencers too. I'm pretty happy with how my 1090 runs, but if I can pick up a lil' bit of performance / sound and lose a lil' bit of weight then i may go for it.

I'd like to hear a review or two beforehand tho...

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have the decat pipe and race ECU with the standard silencers, above 2000 rpm the fueling is perfect but that said I never had a major issue with the std set up. The bike is a lot louder but you loose that noise it makes when the exhaust choke valve opens:( Basically I did it to get rid of the ugly CAT and the heat it generates.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Intresting...

I have the decat pipe and race ECU with the standard silencers, above 2000 rpm the fueling is perfect but that said I never had a major issue with the std set up. The bike is a lot louder but you loose that noise it makes when the exhaust choke valve opens:( Basically I did it to get rid of the ugly CAT and the heat it generates.
I wouldn't think that it would be a whole lot louder being that you continued using the stock silencers.

A few questions,
  1. How much weight did you lose by removing the cat?
  2. How much louder would you estimate that it is vs. stock at this point?
  3. Is the exhaust note the same or did it change?
  4. Did you have the dealer install the ECU / pipes or did you do this yourself?
  5. I have no fueling issues, thus nothing drivability-wise to correct. Were there any performance gains?
Thank you!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I wouldn't think that it would be a whole lot louder being that you continued using the stock silencers.

A few questions,
  1. How much weight did you lose by removing the cat? Ans. Not sure.
  2. How much louder would you estimate that it is vs. stock at this point? Ans. Much louder below 5000 rpm, above the same.
  3. Is the exhaust note the same or did it change? Ans. Looses the mid range rasp.
  4. Did you have the dealer install the ECU / pipes or did you do this yourself? Ans. Dealer, you need the diagnostic software to set the TPS, which I now have.
  5. I have no fueling issues, thus nothing drivability-wise to correct. Were there any performance gains?
Thank you! Ans. Yes, how much is not easy to say.
.....biggest plus is looks and reduced heat, if that's not an issue for you don't bother as its an expensive mod!

Shaun

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Shaun

that is the kind of input i was looking for , would rather put petrol in it than do an un-needed mod .

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts