MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst I'm relatively new to the bike (2016 B4 ABS model, with 3k on clock) it seems to me that the gear change from 1st - 2nd needs a determined prod and can be a bit clunky at times, nothing too much and maybe just me getting used to the bike. I checked the chain adjustment and that seems fine also looked at clutch, fluid looks clear and at the right level, bite is good and whilst I find the clutch lever a tad heavy, it's probably fine. So interested in any views here.

·
Super Moderator
22,668 Posts
Welcome.

You should probably adjust where the shift lever meets your foot. These transmissions aren’t typically clunky.

Reactions: revhead1957

·
Registered
658 Posts
thicker engine oil and need a good clean and lube, then fang it in 1st 2nd 3rd, and back down.
All so stop babying MV's, it wasn't the engineers scope, treat it like a race bike. Because all the design and quick release gear box came from a race bike from the past, then trickle down to the public.

·
Registered
14,574 Posts
?

MV transmission clunky??????
You're shifting with the clutch.......this isn't a John Deere tractor.....forget the clutch, except for launch and getting into neutral
The problem is YOU, not the transmission
The MVs have the best transmissions of any bike I've ever ridden.....my RD-350 was better but I put probably 100 hours into it, under cutting shift dogs and gears>:)

I have an R1150GS, terrible transmission, with the clutch, clunks EVERY TIME......don't use the clutch, never clunks

·
Super Moderator
22,668 Posts
If your 2016 B4 has a slipper clutch, you can feel the early shifts in the lever if the clutch fluid is old.

Reactions: cruiser

·
Vendor
5,418 Posts
Should be smooth as silk like Noel said.
What engine oil are you using?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
My 1078RR Brutale clunks into 1st every time but rest of the time its smooth if using the clutch!
Do you mean it's clunky shifting into 1st from neutral, e.g at traffic lights? If so that's probably just the chain slack being taken up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the comments. I'm now thinking this is pilot error, as I get use to the bike!

·
Registered
828 Posts
That enormous clunk when engaging first is from having the chain too slack. I used to err on the side of too slack out of caution for the hub, but correct tension makes that heaps better. But saying that the engagement isn't as smooth as some. You get used to it. The rest is smooth as silk.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
46 Posts
That enormous clunk when engaging first is from having the chain too slack. I used to err on the side of too slack out of caution for the hub, but correct tension makes that heaps better. But saying that the engagement isn't as smooth as some. You get used to it. The rest is smooth as silk.

Cheers

Deano

My chain is defo NOT slack, was adjusted less than 300 miles ago. Checked it again today!!
My bike is running 10W40 at the moment but going to change this when the weather turns. This was the oil the local MV dealer uses!! Would this effect gear changes significantly? Clutch was also recently bled and seems fine. Gear changes up and down are very smooth apart from the initial selection.

·
Super Moderator
22,668 Posts
Your bike oil spec is 10W60. Unless you are racing, that is what you should be using. Oil viscosity will affect clutch feel.

Why did your dealer use a non-specified oil?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Your bike oil spec is 10W60. Unless you are racing, that is what you should be using. Oil viscosity will affect clutch feel.

Why did your dealer use a non-specified oil?

I know its states 10W60 and thought that was what they were putting in, was only when they delivered it back to me that I was told it was 10W40. They use that in all MV's they service including the latest stuff!! As i said I am going to switch to what it should be pretty soon.....and do it myself from now on!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts