MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I need to ask the guys who've been at this a while.
I understand roughly how the Slipper works.
Then I found this article Donsy posted
http://bikeadvice.in/slipper-clutch-how-works/

So ultimately I want to understand better how it functions in the B4 1078.

From what I kinda of know is that it will prevent wheel lock if you excessively downshift too far in the RPM range for the gear.

So how about clutch usage?

Is it preferred to down shift with the clutch and blip?
And up shifting. Do you roll off the throttle it keep the throttle at position?

Currently I have only loosely tried upshifting with the throttle roll back to a slight lesser RPM and upshifting. Seems to work but I want to know how I am actually suppose to use the system and not destroy it.

Thanks

·
Vendor
5,412 Posts
No clutch on upshift.Clutch on downshift.Blip the throttle if you want,personal choice.Thats how I do it.Benefits is you can change down a couple of gears for a corner and there is no fear of the rear wheel locking and wipe off speed quickly.

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
no clutch!

Mitch;
no clutch up or down......

try down shifting at 4,000......steady throttle......just step on the lever
:naughty:

it works perfectly

:drummer::drummer:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Mitch;

it works perfectly

I down shift the same way, if it don't pop right in, don't stomp ! Works like butter

·
Registered
828 Posts
Mitch;

it works perfectly

+2! And back on my pet subject of gearbox selector springs, the Yamaha one I just installed seems to make the shift smoother. I've been riding around as you do, and thought to myself, self, this gearbox is changing perfectly up and down. Just received the new springs from Star Twin but will stay with the Yamaha one for now. I'll keep you posted. You'll be the first to hear if this one breaks.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK cool, so I'm using it partially correct.
What about the throttle position on up-shift? Shut throttle or lessen throttle or no change?

Currently I roll off as I would be putting in the clutch then up shift. What do you guys do which works more efficiently?

·
Vendor
5,412 Posts
Mitch;

it works perfectly

Never tried that Noel.I will give it a go.:)

·
Registered
465 Posts
What about the throttle position on up-shift? Shut throttle or lessen throttle or no change?

Currently I roll off as I would be putting in the clutch then up shift. What do you guys do which works more efficiently?
If the RPMS drop too much, it won't want to shift. I don't completely close the throttle . It's a quicker action than clutching. Don't force the shift!

·
Registered
828 Posts

Mate,

This is one of the best gearboxes I've ever ridden. However it is also one of the hardest to come to terms with. Like the insane bike it is you need to experiment to find a style that suits your riding style. Don't pussy around with it and it will reward you. Minor things like a different oil (Mobil 1 for me) etc. help, but the box suits the bike. Thrash the fuck out of it. It will click eventually and you'll wonder why you asked the questions in the first place. I asked them myself. Check the posts. A mad bike that suits being pushed in every area. Sorry for not being more specific.

Cheers

Deano

1 - 9 of 9 Posts