MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't understand why bike was running hoptter than normal, pulled over and low on coolant. Wasn't far from home, so no problems, went straigh there. When I got home I looked around for leak and found sidestand and electrical plugs below waterpump were covered in coolant. Seems to be weeping from the bottom of the waterpump housing. Can anyone tell me if it is a gasket between the housing and the block or an o ring. I nipped up the bolts I could get to (how you do the rh one that's facing the block is beyond me!) - they were tight, but did move them a bit more. Haven't road tested yet, just wanted to see if anyone has come across this before?

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Read the workshop manual mate, and do a search in the maintenance area. http://my.agusta.us/
It is leaking through a weep hole or Tell Tale hole, the seal on the axle pump shaft has gone. Very easy to repair.
Good luck

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really? It's only done 4000k's. Am I going to have to do this every 4000k's then?

I haven't got a workshop manual, but had a look at the parts list and can see the seal. Doesn't tell me how to remove the pump and get that bolt out though. Maybe have to run it down to Nerang - still under warrantee, just a pain in the arse getting it down there! Thanks for the info though fella's.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Really? It's only done 4000k's. Am I going to have to do this every 4000k's then?

I haven't got a workshop manual, but had a look at the parts list and can see the seal. http://my.agusta.us/ This is why I added this link, here you can download all the workshop manuals.

Doesn't tell me how to remove the pump and get that bolt out though. Maybe have to run it down to Nerang - still under warrantee, just a pain in the arse getting it down there! Thanks for the info though fella's.
No you don't have to do this every 4000km, mine leaked at 1000km and never again after that.
http://my.agusta.us/ most manaul's are here

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Good job mate

In general most Brutale's don't suffer from the same overheating issue's that the F4 has. You don't therefore have to change the impeller but if you have the $ then have a look I think Alex at Gutsy has them in stock.
Look first to see if your bike has not already got the new impeller in already.
Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the same problem with my 1078 and when I removed the water pump there is a drain hole for water that leaks past the impeller seal on the inside of the pump there are two seals one on the impeller side and one on the engine drive side I replaced the impeller seal with a Vitron seal as they have a higher heat tolerence to the standard seal the one on the drive end is appears to be a high heat type. Also the two bolts facing the motor are short and help seal the pump housing along with the two outer facing ones ,when I had my pump apart I installed the updated impeller and housing and you need both as the new impeller will not fit in the old housing.Cheers

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...I replaced the impeller seal with a Vitron seal as they have a higher heat tolerence to the standard seal the one on the drive end is appears to be a high heat type. Also the two bolts facing the motor are short and help seal the pump housing along with the two outer facing ones...
thanks padier, did you source these seals from a bearing place (aftermarket)? Just wondering if they are a common size I could get locally as it would save all the stuffing around with the dealer and could probably get it sorted tomorrow.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Exactly where mine leaked ....or so I thought until I noticed it was actually coming from the lower edge around the back of the link hose because of those Clic-R hose clips - Replaced the clip and all sorted:smoking:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought the genuine seals and went to the local bearing service and they got them for me the number on the packet is 8000A6708 but I would take a sample just in case as they my have a different listing number also the guys said the standard seal had a heat tolerance rating of 100 degrees but the Vitron was 300 degrees and that is why I went down that route Cheers P

1 - 13 of 13 Posts