MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks! Could someone who's ridden both the 1078 and the 910 (and maybe the 989) enlighten me a bit? I want to upgrade to 1078 from 910 and what I really like about the 910 is that it has to be tamed, and that it's really rough. Also it's probably the last opportunity to snatch a new 1078 right from the factory. I couldn't get to test-drive it however but what I have tested more than once is the 989 and found it to be a lot more... sluggish or weaker for lack of better word than the 910. Wonder if the 1078 would retain basically the same character as the 989 or if it's closer to 910. I've read raving reviews of the 1078 but wonder if all that sheer power translates to 910's rugged character or if it's sort of a different thing or hidden and smoothed out?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Hi folks! Could someone who's ridden both the 1078 and the 910 (and maybe the 989) enlighten me a bit? I want to upgrade to 1078 from 910 and what I really like about the 910 is that it has to be tamed, and that it's really rough. Also it's probably the last opportunity to snatch a new 1078 right from the factory. I couldn't get to test-drive it however but what I have tested more than once is the 989 and found it to be a lot more... sluggish or weaker for lack of better word than the 910. Wonder if the 1078 would retain basically the same character as the 989 or if it's closer to 910. I've read raving reviews of the 1078 but wonder if all that sheer power translates to 910's rugged character or if it's sort of a different thing or hidden and smoothed out?
I have had a quick ride on the 1078 and can tell you that there is a lot more gogo in it. Its still crazy wild like the 910, but with more more more. Didn't have enough time on it to comment on suspension etc...

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Hey Buck - that's interesting about the 989....could you provide a little bit more data on your thoughts regarding it's characteristics?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
If you are going from a 910s to the 1078rr you will be getting a lot more bike but if it`s smooth and Honda like that you are looking for then you won`t.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Buck - that's interesting about the 989....could you provide a little bit more data on your thoughts regarding it's characteristics?
No solid data, but I used to drive both in one day a lot, switching from 910 to 989 and back, mostly just commuting around town. 910 feels snappier, aggressive and ready to jump. 989 on the other hand feels like it struggles to accelerate (comparatively, of course) and doesn't seem to deliver the same kind of punch. I feel it even more with a passenger. Whereas the presence of a passenger doesn't bother the 910 much apart from slowing it down a bit, the 989 just leaves a feeling that it doesn't like additional weight at all. Hard to describe really, but the difference is substantial. 989 just doesn't want to "go". It also tends to vibrate much more on higher revs than the 910.

If you are going from a 910s to the 1078rr you will be getting a lot more bike but if it`s smooth and Honda like that you are looking for then you won`t.
I definitely want something totally opposite from smooth and Honda-like, 910 is very hard and rough not only engine-wise but also suspension-wise and I love it. It's just that 989 (which I expected to be at least as crazy as the 910) kinda got me scratching head.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've owned both (2007 910R and 2009 1078RR). You will instantly know you have more power/torque, and the suspension is a HUGE improvement on the 1078RR. The 910R rattled my teeth (especially the fork), while the 1078RR is firm, but not teeth ratteling (valving is much, much better).

Don't worry about the motor.... It wants to GO!

In my eyes the 1078RR is the ultimate Brutale.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've owned both (2007 910R and 2009 1078RR). You will instantly know you have more power/torque, and the suspension is a HUGE improvement on the 1078RR. The 910R rattled my teeth (especially the fork), while the 1078RR is firm, but not teeth ratteling (valving is much, much better).

Don't worry about the motor.... It wants to GO!

In my eyes the 1078RR is the ultimate Brutale.
+1 :yo:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Well I might be going against the trend here but I've switched from 910R to 1078 this year and I reckon that awesome as the 1078 is, the 910 is the one with the real character.. Yup the suspension is better out of the box with the 1078 but a bit of work on the 910 forks and you've cracked it. 1078 has to be treated with so much respect you lose focus on the ride. The 910 sings a beautiful song - Take a look at Power & Torque values - the 910 is awesome by comparison and way more useable - Both are way beyond my limits BTW :laughing:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for replies guys! With any luck I'll become a 1078 owner soon. And I presume once the short Corse pipes have been fitted it would become the REAL Beast!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well I might be going against the trend here but I've switched from 910R to 1078 this year and I reckon that awesome as the 1078 is, the 910 is the one with the real character.. Yup the suspension is better out of the box with the 1078 but a bit of work on the 910 forks and you've cracked it. 1078 has to be treated with so much respect you lose focus on the ride. The 910 sings a beautiful song - Take a look at Power & Torque values - the 910 is awesome by comparison and way more useable - Both are way beyond my limits BTW :laughing:
plus one:grin:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks for replies guys! With any luck I'll become a 1078 owner soon. And I presume once the short Corse pipes have been fitted it would become the REAL Beast!
I should of clarified... Both my 910R and 1078RR had factory race exhaust and ECU installed. I just assume we're always talking about an "uncorked" bike because that's the first thing I do to any MV.

Stock fueling is just OK. I bought the full Ti MV Race Exhaust w/ECU. The fueling on this ECU is very good. Not perfect, but very good. I won't be changing it out. I did have to richen the "Trimmer" up 10 points from stock after a TPS reset, but that was it. Great unit.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Yeah Buck get one.... before they are all gone (new). If you want your adrenaline rush 'neat from the bottle' you'll love this bike. I agree with Resom.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well yeah, I can't imagine how I ever did without the race exhaust which is fitted on the 910 right now (without the ECU though). Not to say it was even close to being tame with its stock exhaust though.

·
Registered
250 Posts
a 1078 with a microtec is the ultimate brute to me. I have one and they have drive...drive dirve everywhere. Just a massive amount of go from idle on up. I also have a thousand twin KTM 990 supermoto with many mods and the 1078 just stomps on it low down where the twins usually dominate. While the KTM is rattling around at 2000rpm the 1078 just drives on out to the red line like its life depended on it.

The 1078 is pure motor and is a freak in this respect, possibly less balanced as other have said than a 910 (I also had a 910R for some time).

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
a 1078 with a microtec is the ultimate brute to me. I have one and they have drive...drive dirve everywhere. Just a massive amount of go from idle on up. I also have a thousand twin KTM 990 supermoto with many mods and the 1078 just stomps on it low down where the twins usually dominate. While the KTM is rattling around at 2000rpm the 1078 just drives on out to the red line like its life depended on it.

The 1078 is pure motor and is a freak in this respect, possibly less balanced as other have said than a 910 (I also had a 910R for some time).
Stop it...you are making me want to upgrade...now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts