MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have read the whole forum and find different views on these 2 excellent bike.

So whats the conclusion here ?? is 1000S really a better bike than the 1000R

Ur expertise is kindly needed here.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
the R is the better bike out of the two, the S is the standard edition, the R has lighter wheels and radial brakes, im sure someone will explain in detail the differences, but the R is definately the better bike.... they both near perfect tho :)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MV05 EXY said:
the R is the better bike out of the two, the S is the standard edition, the R has lighter wheels and radial brakes, im sure someone will explain in detail the differences, but the R is definately the better bike.... they both near perfect tho :)
but most ppl here were saying S version is better to ride... much smoother than the R version. Of coz the R has better response but the S will have a better ride overall.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Wait. Do you mean is the R really better than the S? ;) As a S owner, I would say yes. The R is better than the S. The question is, does the price difference make it better for you and that's more a personal question.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
antonioshabirto said:
but most ppl here were saying S version is better to ride... much smoother than the R version. Of coz the R has better response but the S will have a better ride overall.
Well, I think it's how you want to take your power delivery. The S has an abrupt power kit off idle. The R, from what I've read hear, has the kick above 5,000 rpms. Sort of like the 750s.

So, as a street rider, the S may be better but on the track, the R's 5K spot won't be much of an issue.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I agree that the R is the better bike.

As for the price difference, if you're buying it new the R is surely the way to go as the price diff. is not huge (here in Europe, anyway) and well worth the radial brakes and lighter wheels (and the engine updates).

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I think the question can only be truthfully answered by those who have owned both types, so that counts me out, :stickpoke but whether someone who has bought an R after owning an S and is prepared to say that the S is the better bike, well that is a totally different ball game. :jsm:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not sure which rides better, but I still like the look of the S (red/silver) over the R (red/silver) and the S wheels are very MV as for the radial brakes I had them on my last R1 and the S six pots beat them hands down. I think you would need to ride them back to back but what would be the point if you have got the money for a new R would you go out of your way for an old S. :stickpoke

but saying that I saved 2K on a new S over an R which makes me happy.

S or R its all good :yo:

·
Registered
268 Posts
The R is better, and is worth the extra money versus the cost of outfitting an S version with R componentry yourself. Note that I say it's worth the money versus "upgrading" an S. But, Is it worth the money overall? Not if you can find a leftover S, or an S with minimal miles, at a big discount. In that event, the slight performance differences are not going to be worth the thousands of dollars in price difference. The fact is, every year there will be incremental improvements in braking and performance overall. That's just how time and progress marches on. At a certain point you have to "get over it" and stop worrying about what is best, or the pinnacle, or what will represent your ultimate buying experience. Just get something that meets your needs, budget, and lust, and then enjoy it for many years.

A friend bought a 916 in 1995. He said, "For once, I wanted to buy the ultimate bike." He made a good choice, because 12 years later, that bike is still incredible to look at and incredible to ride. I break the law every time I do more than loaf on the thing. So it's a great bike. Is it the ultimate now? Its performance is not "on par" with current bikes if you consider that it's down on power, doesn't have radial calipers or radial master cylinders, etc. etc. etc. But who cares? It's still a well-sorted bike with far too much power for the street, and it's still a Tamburini wonder of design.

No matter whether you get an S or an R, so will it be with your purchase.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
The "R" is a better bike than the "S" BUT!!!! only when you have forked out for the RG3 ecu which totally sorts the motor side of things.

The brakes/wheels etc are far better than the "S" one's

The more modern elecs are better than the "S" one's

and do people really think that MV would refine a current model backwards to be a step down from their current at the time bike? :ahhh:

I would hazard a good guess that the 312R will be better again :)

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
FSL said:
That's R312 same thing just a sales pitch. :nerd:
I have a feeling it will have some more development over the "R" :)

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
FSL said:
Mate you mean new decal. :love:
Well from what I read it has Titanium inlet valves, and a larger dia inlet butterfly system, also different camshafts, It's just an evolution of the R, which was an evolution of the S, which was a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
john said:
I think the question can only be truthfully answered by those who have owned both types, so that counts me out, :stickpoke but whether someone who has bought an R after owning an S and is prepared to say that the S is the better bike, well that is a totally different ball game. :jsm:
So we need someone who owned both and now rides a BMW :king: :later:

But I think that the real truth is that the difference between the R and S is marginal for road use and even track use...

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you bought a new Ford, with rear back-up sensors, and then the following year they added front parking sensors, would you go, OMG, I have to buy the new one, because it's better! I need to upgrade! Nope. You would not.

Do you think someone driving a killer '75 'vette is worried that it's not as fast as a 2007 model? Nope.

Are we obsessed about MV Agusta? Yes.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts