MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today was one of those rare days for me, where I had all day long to do absolutely nothing, but enjoy my bike(s).

I thought it would be a great opportunity to put some miles on my 2-week old 1000R and just have fun, the weather was good somewhere in the 60's I think.

Rode the 1000R for 2 hours and thought I'd stop by the local dealership to hang out with the crew and some customer friends who I occasionally run into, and maybe even make some new friends.

There was a guy there who I met was agonizing over whether he would get the 312 or the 1000R. He asked me about my experience, and I shared what little I have on it (2 weeks). He asked me what the difference was between the two, I said "well, let me find out exactly."

I went inside and asked for the keys to the 312 they had, and I drove off for the better part of 30 min.

Here are some impressions I shared with him:

1) As far as speed goes, they are both terrifyingly fast ok :toothless

2) 312 runs just as hot as the 1000R. Later in the afternoon when I got home, I switched bikes and took my Duc out to use the opportunity to observe its temps. Conclusion: While in motion, the 1000R runs up to 21F (~10C) hotter than my Duc under the same conditions. The 312 should be about the same as the R.

3) 312 throttle is twitchier than the 1000r in any rev.

4) They say the 312 has only 7 or so more hp than the 1000R, but I did feel that extra power (maybe my imagination?) on the 312. Maybe it was the fueling?

5) The 312's fueling is sheer heaven, in comparison to the 1000R. I felt a bit disappointed when i got back on my R after having ridden the 312. :bawling: The fueling of the 312 is so much more smooth and progressive. It does not have the midrange NITROUS that the R possesses, but deep into the rev range, it's just pure power there. Just sheer, violent and terrorizing power when you're deep in the rev range.

6) The 1000R does possess that same butt-puckering power, however, it is just not as well distributed as the 312. The distribution of power on the 1000R is like a roller coaster.

7) If what our other members have attested about the Race ECU is correct, then it is a necessary upgrade. Because the 1000R in stock form just sucks in comparison to the 312.

8) On both bikes, another necessary upgrade would probably be the mid-pipe and muzzy fans to help cool the temps a little.

I mentioned it to that guy who was choosing between the two. Due to the price differences, he eventually went with R and on the same visit ordered the triple combo: Race ECU, MidPipe and RG3 slipons ... I guess that's how you turn a 1000R into a 312 ... except that you (1) spend less, (2) got mid-range punch, (3) got RG3 sound and (4) your bike will run a little cooler... the only thing is though, that you don't get the 312 badge, which does have a very special value :toothless

My conclusion: You win either way. The 1000R just needs to get the fueling fixed... absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I think you are pretty much spot on there, I could not live with my 1000R on the std ecu, I found the more times I rode it the more I noticed it and the more pissed off I got!
The 'race' 'RG3' or whatever you want to call it ecu sorts it, I have no fuelling complaints at all now :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks F41NXS and Mike.

Mike -- besides fixing the 5k rpm surge, what other benefits do the race ECU have, what other changes can we expect (positive or negative)?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Sig.Scuro said:
Thanks F41NXS and Mike.

Mike -- besides fixing the 5k rpm surge, what other benefits do the race ECU have, what other changes can we expect (positive or negative)?
I don't think there are any negatives, except maybe one negative would be if you also fit the Rg3 and mid pipe you can get a surging idle after a set up if the weather turns cold, almost as if the ecu does not have correct ambient air temp compensation, maybe airfuel has noticed this on his dyno?
It's not a major problem, more an annoyance, theres no stalling just a handfull of 1200-1600rpm hunts before it settles down.

If you buy the RG3 ecu you will need to get it set up, normally straight out of the box the co and idle are incorrect due to the ecu is not 'calibrated' with your bikes TPS.

I also still think it would probably benefit from a power commander as well, again maybe airfuel has had one on his dyno? it probably still has the rich top end that all MV's appear to have, but having said that the bike feels like it fuels very well, certainly made me happy :)

(I went the power commander route before the RG3 ecu, the PC helps slightly with the feel and 5K surge but I beleive the std ecu has timing alterations for euro 3 stuff which are still very evident, I still have the PC fitted but with a zero map, I need to get down the dyno and see what's what once the weather and salt on the roads dissapear)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mike. I plan to have the shop do the ECU install, would cost me somewhere between US$900 and $1k. I'd rather have them do it as I will fudge it for sure.

I thought about just doing PC3 with a custom map, which would cost me only half, but as I understand it, this does not cure the 5k rpm surge... this would thus defeat the whole purpose. Did you have the map customized?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I agree with all Mike has said, I have no fueling issues after having the Race ECU fitted. All is smooth and progressive.

As for the idle surge...I love that too :smoking: especially with the RG3s.. as Oz says...sounds awesome.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ozboy said:
Mike, that hunting you describe is what I heard in Broms bike on one of our rides.
I thought it sounded awesome, like a Lambo at idle.

It would be interesting to see if the TPS has been altered.
Likewise I have RG3/Race ECU and link pipe fitted and I love it.
Glad to hear the hunting at idle is common as was worried about my set up, but seeing as this was done by someone who has raced MV's figured it was ok. One thing for sure is that it goes like crazy now!

I guess as the race ecu is designed up for a race environment, this may depending on the tune of the engine, demand a 2 to 3k idle speed, and lowering it results in the hunt.
Tont

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Great review Sig.Scuro :smoking:
Thanks a lot for let us know and for the honest unbiased impressions :)

Now just imagine a 312 with an open exhaust and the racing ECU :toothless

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dova80 said:
Interesting! Now I guess the real question is are you still happy with the 1000R?
You bet yes, but now that I have experienced the night and day difference in power delivery between the two, I will have to fix the 1000R, perhaps with the race ECU. That's the time I can look at the bike and say "you ... complete me" :toothless

MV-999R said:
Great review Sig.Scuro :smoking:
Thanks a lot for let us know and for the honest unbiased impressions :)

Now just imagine a 312 with an open exhaust and the racing ECU :toothless
Pure Terror for sure! :yo:

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Sig.Scuro said:
You bet yes, but now that I have experienced the night and day difference in power delivery between the two, I will have to fix the 1000R, perhaps with the race ECU. That's the time I can look at the bike and say "you ... complete me" :toothless
Looks like I will eventually have to join you on that one!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I´ve installed the F1 exhausts on my r312 and the only thing I notice bad is that the bike seems very lean, the exhausts get "white" if you look inside the pipes, dont know if that is just because of modifing the end pipe. After installed these I just recalibrated the vaccum that got very unbalanced with the end pipe.
I asked a few people if I must change for the race ECU, ones say is necessary others say it isnt but none are end users... what is your opinion? Anybody installed just the rg3 pipes on the r312? What to do, change for the race ecu or keep the OEM?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Get the bike on a dyno with air/fuel logging-that'll tell ya! :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
mikef4uk said:
Get the bike on a dyno with air/fuel logging-that'll tell ya! :)
can we change the CO level for example establish a CO of 5% as a goal using the MV softawre we find in the agent? If so increasing the CO will enrich the mixture, I beleive. then checking on th edyno will tell me if the AF line is inneed of a Race ECU or not correct?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts