MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad brought me this magazine back from Copenhagen. I thought I'd share since it shows the MV crushing everyone at the track and leading in power numbers. The Ducati was the only bike even close on the track. Although even with the MV's power and speed, it seemed the riders on the last page preferred the Duc, and even the Aprilia beat the MV in the "subjective rankings"

Attachments

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
it seemed the riders on the last page preferred the Duc, and even the Aprilia beat the MV in the "subjective rankings"
Maybe they genuinely prefer those bikes (they are great bikes) or maybe the advertising factor is coming into play here.

I don't know about over there but here both Aprilia and Ducati eclipse MV in the amount of advertising they do in the local mags...

Either way good to see the MV doing so well with the numbers.

·
Registered
485 Posts
+1 :f4:

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
That's funny to me. It's like "This is the fastest bike around the track. It looks the best. It has the highest horsepower and torque. It rides like something out of this world, but I prefer the other bike." wtf???

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
The mags are never consistent. He in the state when the ZX-10 came out it won everything just because of the engine. That is all they talked about is the power. Sometimes they will pick the bike with the best track times. Next time it the one which is the best on the street. I think it all comes down to which company is giving them the most ad money. I could be wrong on this, what it comes down to me on is which bike fits my style of riding and ego at the time.
Andrew

·
Registered
571 Posts
Look at the Ducati torque at 3500 and 7900 rpm's!!!! Wow!!

I'm sure they liked that!! With that kind of torque advantage, you wouldn't even notice the 12 horsepower deficit!

·
Registered
720 Posts
psperl said:
My dad brought me this magazine back from Copenhagen. I thought I'd share since it shows the MV crushing everyone at the track and leading in power numbers. The Ducati was the only bike even close on the track. Although even with the MV's power and speed, it seemed the riders on the last page preferred the Duc, and even the Aprilia beat the MV in the "subjective rankings"

It is funny that the tests in the finnish Bike magazine is won by Suzuki or Yamaha or :moped: .......about the Duc they always said:good brakes fun in the track but......it is always the last in the test.In my opinion they may have some influence by somewhere in their comments :stickpoke .
Very subjective when you look the cold facts. :jerkoff:

mike :smoking:

·
Registered
756 Posts
mike21 said:
It is funny that the tests in the finnish Bike magazine is won by Suzuki or Yamaha or :moped: .......about the Duc they always said:good brakes fun in the track but......it is always the last in the test.In my opinion they may have some influence by somewhere in their comments :stickpoke .
Very subjective when you look the cold facts. :jerkoff:

mike :smoking:
well u are absolutely rite.... i have never read anywhere stating that an italian bike is superb and won the test or race..... its always the jap bikes

kinda contradicting with all the italian technology

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I personally think that the Duc 1098S is prob easier to ride looking at the torque curve. And I think I like the look of the Ducati better than the Agusta. The Agusta is timeless yes but the new Ducati is just incredible looking. The front is gorgeous. That has always trurned me off is the front of the Agusta....

·
Registered
756 Posts
suryad said:
I personally think that the Duc 1098S is prob easier to ride looking at the torque curve. And I think I like the look of the Ducati better than the Agusta. The Agusta is timeless yes but the new Ducati is just incredible looking. The front is gorgeous. That has always trurned me off is the front of the Agusta....
TO each its own, well i love the look of the overall agusta.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Exactly...I just went to the Ducati website and looked at the black 1098S...just stunning. To me the Agusta Senna is on part with that Duc in terms of looks though of course the Senna has a lot of carbon fiber. I am thinking of actually shifting camps and grabbing a 1098R when it comes out.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
The Tambu is a bit too gaudy for me. I prefer the Mamba over that to be honest. Something about gold wheels too much bling....

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
What is interesting for me is that this Duke came out with an enourmous amount of hype, that it was going to be so much better than anything...blah blah blah.
This is allways a dangerous gamble.
Ducati's reputation is built on racing heritage.
Until the rule capacity changes so Ducati can realease the "real" bike, they are in danger of letting a lot of people down.
The MV still holds it's own, but is such an aquired taste that only a special few appreciate it. That's just the way it should be.
I really like what Ducati have done with the 1098, but I just feel there is something else about to happen depending on the rule changes.
In short, it is not the category defining machine the 916 was. Now if they had Tamburini back in the design studio, it would have been a different story.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
MVASyd said:
What is interesting for me is that this Duke came out with an enourmous amount of hype, that it was going to be so much better than anything...blah blah blah.
This is allways a dangerous gamble.
Ducati's reputation is built on racing heritage.
Until the rule capacity changes so Ducati can realease the "real" bike, they are in danger of letting a lot of people down.
The MV still holds it's own, but is such an aquired taste that only a special few appreciate it. That's just the way it should be.
I really like what Ducati have done with the 1098, but I just feel there is something else about to happen depending on the rule changes.
In short, it is not the category defining machine the 916 was. Now if they had Tamburini back in the design studio, it would have been a different story.
Well...I agree the hype was big however, somehow valid. After the 999 they have gotten back to their roots and have chosen a design that looks more like the old 998 (granted also more Japanese somehow). Given the fact that they sold all of the 07 machines already here in the states *is* kind of impressive. I have not ridden one for obvious reasons but from what I heard people like it very much.

MV Agusta on the other side is still way more exclusive. It is still to find a dealership that is not several hours from you (at least for most people including me). Ducati was at the same stage several years ago...right now you will pretty much get them everywhere.

I am not sure whether I should wish the same happening with MV as well (just for my convenience) or not to maintain the exclusiveness.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
Do you guys think the 1098 lives up to the hype?
Well...it is hard to tell without having driven one...however, for me this probably would be too much bike to handle for now anyway...

Nonetheless, I think, Ducati has really put out a nice bike in terms of overall design. The look is nice, the handling is also wonderful from what I heard, the performance seems to be way closer to the Japanese crowd and many more.

Having said this, there might be some kind of overrated hype though...many of the hard-core Ducatisti skipped on the 999 and waited...now they are all back raving about the 1098 and of course buying one (granted the price is really attempting). This may blurry the actual *real* worth hype a little bit...

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
This past bike night, there was a 1098 there....it was the 1st time I've ever seen one in person. And although it does look better in person, it still looks japanese. My buddy that was with me who is just getting into bikes thought the same thing.

Even the 998, 996 and 748's there were starting to look dated.....very dated and boxy. I never thought I would say those body styles would be dated, but damn...once you go MV, you don't go back...

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
oicdn said:
This past bike night, there was a 1098 there....it was the 1st time I've ever seen one in person. And although it does look better in person, it still looks japanese. My buddy that was with me who is just getting into bikes thought the same thing.

Even the 998, 996 and 748's there were starting to look dated.....very dated and boxy. I never thought I would say those body styles would be dated, but damn...once you go MV, you don't go back...
Thats quite biased saying the Duc looks dated and the Agusta doesnt dont you think?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts