MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I took my bike out for a spin yesterday and when I was coming home, on getting ready to make a turn into my neighborhood, I pulled in the clutch, downshifted, braking, and I noticed that the bike had died. She had done this once before when coming up to a stop sign but I excused it as being new and tight. Now I am wondering if I should let my dealer know about it or not, or if anyone else has had this happen?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Dova80 said:
so I took my bike out for a spin yesterday and when I was coming home, on getting ready to make a turn into my neighborhood, I pulled in the clutch, downshifted, braking, and I noticed that the bike had died. She had done this once before when coming up to a stop sign but I excused it as being new and tight. Now I am wondering if I should let my dealer know about it or not, or if anyone else has had this happen?
Dova, man you've been here to long not to know whats happening there :stickpoke :)

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I figured stalling would be different, but I suppose not.. lol I just got power back on so my brain is not quite what it should be. I have been without power since the 10th. I suppose your right... its the stalling issue...

·
Registered
762 Posts
Dova - how many miles do you have already on your bike?

So far I've only been able to put in about 130 miles since I took it home about 10 days ago,it's been raining here a lot.

I have so far I've had no stalls, but I do observe a very noticable "tick" sound from inside the engine somewhere... it only happens when the bike's moving, and I notice it the most whenever I downshift - about 1 second after. I downshift... and then "Tick!" from inside the engine, very strange feeling. I've never heard such a sound from any of my bikes before. It's similar to the ticking sound of a bad cam chain tensioner, but its not continuous. What the heck could that be :wtf:

:confused:

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sig.Scuro said:
Dova - how many miles do you have already on your bike?

So far I've only been able to put in about 130 miles since I took it home about 10 days ago,it's been raining here a lot.

I have so far I've had no stalls, but I do observe a very noticable "tick" sound from inside the engine somewhere... it only happens when the bike's moving, and I notice it the most whenever I downshift - about 1 second after. I downshift... and then "Tick!" from inside the engine, very strange feeling. I've never heard such a sound from any of my bikes before. It's similar to the ticking sound of a bad cam chain tensioner, but its not continuous. What the heck could that be :wtf:

:confused:
Only 170 miles, weather has been shat here. Theres to much debris from the ice storm on the road to do much riding. That and on the weekends its 30 degrees, during th week it gets up to friggin 60!

I dont know about a tick or atleast havent heard it... I figure everything is under warranty so if its going to happen let it happen in the first 600 miles..lol

·
Registered
762 Posts
Dova80 said:
Only 170 miles, weather has been shat here. Theres to much debris from the ice storm on the road to do much riding. That and on the weekends its 30 degrees, during th week it gets up to friggin 60!

I dont know about a tick or atleast havent heard it... I figure everything is under warranty so if its going to happen let it happen in the first 600 miles..lol
I think the same. But all the more I also keep thinking, damn this is a great bike! Mesmerized after every ride!

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Dova,

Assuming the F4 and the Duc 1098 are fairly similar as far as electronic engine controls and EPA compliant exhausts are concerned you might want to visit either "ducatispot" or "1098-forum.com" (google either) and read the posts re: stalling. I know it's a long shot and we're talking apples and oranges. But they're both fruit, no? Maybe you'll find something of interest or informative.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sig.Scuro said:
I think the same. But all the more I also keep thinking, damn this is a great bike! Mesmerized after every ride!
lol I have to say it "I told you so"!

I am very happy with mine. Even with the quirks, I wouldnt trade it for the world.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Velocemoto said:
Drop iridium plugs into too...
Mine use to stall a lot....plugs helped a lot.
Might have to do that, I plan on a midpipe for my 600 mile service. hopefully that will help it smooth the 5k rush, and the stalling.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Euro 3 emissions setup on the MV, like the Duc 1098 are very restrictive - usually right around a 1% CO reading. A good CO setting is usually 2-3% at the end can. That CO can usually mask any throttle body synch of other F/I problems and eliminate stalling issues. Unfortunately, you can't raise the CO by raising the trim setting with the VDSTS software because the O2 sensor will lean it right back out. What you can do is have the dealer do a TPS reset and properly adjust the air bleed screws. If they said they did already, then go to another dealer. Many early 1098 bikes went through the same thing, and DNA service put the word out to techs to carefully set up the F/I on each bike out of the crate. Some dealerships merely raised the idle, which does work, but you shouldn't have to raise the idle to 1500 rpm just to keep it running.

To get the bike to really breathe as it should, the cure is to have the ECU reflashed or install the MV race ecu, both of which eliminate the O2 sensor. This all begs the question as to why high performance car engines with O2 sensors can be setup to have good low end throttle response without stalling and the Italian bike manufacturers can't get it right yet. The O2 sensor thing is relatively new to bikes though, so give them time.

Don't know if this post helped any, but it should at least let you know the problem probably isn't isolated to your bike.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Get your self a Race ECU. It can't die when idle is at 2k :smoking: .

It will take care of other 5k issue and on off also.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FSL said:

lol your right it cant die when it idels at 2k..lol

I do plan on the mid pipe, and a reflash at 600 mile service

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
FSL said:

The problem with the race ecu in its delivered state without the TPS reset is without the TPS reset the EBS system will not work, this is because for the EBS to work it needs to see a closed throttle, the TPS needs reseting to do this.

Although saying that I rode mine before I reset it with the VDSTS and it did feel nice, the on/off was gone, blipping for downshifts was good, I just could'nt live with the 2000+ idle, I also suspect the advance curve would be a little advanced all the way through the range

·
Registered
238 Posts
mikef4uk said:
The problem with the race ecu in its delivered state without the TPS reset is without the TPS reset the EBS system will not work, this is because for the EBS to work it needs to see a closed throttle, the TPS needs reseting to do this.

Although saying that I rode mine before I reset it with the VDSTS and it did feel nice, the on/off was gone, blipping for downshifts was good, I just could'nt live with the 2000+ idle, I also suspect the advance curve would be a little advanced all the way through the range
Hi MikeF4UK and anyone else who knows,

I hope you don't mind me asking but what is the software you use (VDST) called and what else do you need (apart from pc) to do home setups as you have described please? I am leaving my well paid job (boo hoo) for sanity and marriage reasons at the end of March and would like to service our own *fleet* of bikes. I have in inbuilt distrust of dealers through experience. Any help/pointers appreciated.

Hoppy

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
stargateuser said:
Hi MikeF4UK and anyone else who knows,

I hope you don't mind me asking but what is the software you use (VDST) called and what else do you need (apart from pc) to do home setups as you have described please? I am leaving my well paid job (boo hoo) for sanity and marriage reasons at the end of March and would like to service our own *fleet* of bikes. I have in inbuilt distrust of dealers through experience. Any help/pointers appreciated.

Hoppy
Have a look at www.technoresearch.com you would also need some kind of co meter :)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
So if i would buy this VDST from technoresearch, can i change any ECU parameters with this software or is it only for viewing?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
mikef4uk said:

I never had staling issues on my bike when it was stock. I also have never experienced any EBS significant working effect on a stock bike, if there is something like EBS its almost unnoticeable for me. 2k idle is fun and sounds wicked.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts