MV Agusta Forum banner

1000R slipper clutch

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  BAIA 
#1 · (Edited)
hi all,

Wanted to know if any f4-1000 owners here have installed a STM slipper clutch because under heavy engine braking my rear has locked a few times but only for 0.2sec. Im looking to eliminate this and wanted to get a few opinions on which is the best way to go cause the EBS system is great but when pushing the bike really hard it is'nt as effective as i thought it would be.

All opinions appreciated.

:stickpoke

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
i don't think you'll find too many that have gone with a slipper on the F4, if any.

imho, the ebs works really well. i've tried to get the rear to lock up, at the track. i've come into the hot-pit lane, after a session, and jammed two gears down, with a quick clutch release. yes, the rear pops for a fraction of a sec, but then the bike is quickly back under control.

i'm pretty impressed with the system myself. this motor has 13:1 compression, and with that kind of CR, wheel hop on down-shifts could be a major nightmare. thankfully, the ebs keeps it all under control.

alex

#11 ·
JamesC said:
It seems there is also an ECU function as part of the mapping. Do you know more about that part of the process?
The ECU may tell the solenoid what to do. I know that Pro-Italia has disabled a few of the EBS systems when they have installed the STM units. At least one person they disabled it for with the stock clutch as well.

#12 · (Edited)
awiner said:
You can disable EBS via the solenoid that control it. Luckily it is not controlled by the ECU. If/When I ever need a new clutch, I will install the STM and disable EBS.
The EBS is controlled by the ecu, disabling the solenoid will only stop the air being admitted, it will still fuel number 2 cylinder on the over-run. I think early ecu's need a different eprom to disable the EBS, The later 5SM ecu can have the EBS controlled via the software, but we have yet to see this being performed in practise.

The 1000S has a more complex system than the R, This is because the R uses the later more powerfull 5SM ecu, which can control the EBS without needing other electronic control boxes, the 5SM ecu also injects sequentially, where as the 16M ecu injects every revolution.

You also need to remember why MV went this way, they tried slipper clutches and found the wear rate unacceptable, hence they developed the electronis EBS system

#14 ·
style_one said:
with such an improved comprehensive ECU, i wonder why you have to buy a new "race" one instead of just being able to flash it or something? that was a surprise to me.
Flashing the ecu will come I imagine, MV are allready talking of dealer flashing but only fuel at the moment, I imagine once the likes of Brad Black and co get to grips with it, total ignition and fuelling flashing will be available. These "experts" or code crackers etc get into Honda and Audi ecu's not to mention Bosch stuff, so the 5SM should also be crackable

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.