MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,937 Posts
beancounter said:
Is there much of a power gain when the catalytic converter is removed from the 1000R?

Thanks

bc
More HP,I'm not sure how much.Maybe 5hp
BUT the main thing is,members are saying the bike runs cooler.
Thats enough for me bc...:f4:You'll need to tune the bike as taking the CAT off will change the running of your bike to a degree. Airfuel will give you some good advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
beancounter said:
Is there much of a power gain when the catalytic converter is removed from the 1000R?

Thanks

bc
I would say not much, maybe a couple of hp at most, many people may claim more but it is probably due to having a PC or new chip and set up at the same time.

The biggest or major gain is the removal of the heat source from your right ankle area. and also a reduction in under seat heat :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ozboy said:
More HP,I'm not sure how much.Maybe 5hp
BUT the main thing is,members are saying the bike runs cooler.
Thats enough for me bc...:f4:You'll need to tune the bike as taking the CAT off will change the running of your bike to a degree. Airfuel will give you some good advice.
That'll be a nice bonus, although I can't say I'm having any problems in that department thus far (courtesy of the lack of a British summer this year).

Primary reason is to fix the 5000 rpm fuelling, I hope.

bc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
beancounter said:
That'll be a nice bonus, although I can't say I'm having any problems in that department thus far (courtesy of the lack of a British summer this year).

Primary reason is to fix the 5000 rpm fuelling, I hope.

bc
I hate to dissapoint you but it won't do much for the 5K fuelling issue, I have been down exactly the same path as you here, you can improve it slightly but the only cure seems to be the purchase of the 'RG3' or 'race' ecu.

The 5K thing is ignition timing related and not fuelling, there appears to be no other way other than the ecu to correct the 5K flat spot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mikef4uk said:
I hate to dissapoint you but it won't do much for the 5K fuelling issue, I have been down exactly the same path as you here, you can improve it slightly but the only cure seems to be the purchase of the 'RG3' or 'race' ecu.

The 5K thing is ignition timing related and not fuelling, there appears to be no other way other than the ecu to correct the 5K flat spot.
Ok I'm really really disappointed now.

I hope you're happy mikef4uk! *sob*

Just kidding, I'll give it a shot anyway. The dealer says it helps, if it doesn't - we'll be having words.

Cheers.

bc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
beancounter said:
Ok I'm really really disappointed now.

I hope you're happy mikef4uk! *sob*

Just kidding, I'll give it a shot anyway. The dealer says it helps, if it doesn't - we'll be having words.

Cheers.

bc
It does help, but its still there, probably improves it by 50% maybe, I have the Rg3 exhaust, cat bypass, and pc111 fitted, only real cure is the Rg3 ecu
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mikef4uk said:
It does help, but its still there, probably improves it by 50% maybe, I have the Rg3 exhaust, cat bypass, and pc111 fitted, only real cure is the Rg3 ecu
50% may be enough mate. I'm just going to do the usual things in order until I feel I can live with it. TBH I don't see why I should have to shell out lots more cash to get this bike to fuel right, but than again I'm sure that's what everyone thinks. I would have expected a £20k bike to fuel right out of the box but c'est la M-vie (just my little joke there).

Thanks.

bc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
I just bought a cat-free midpipe from Ferracci. Before I install it, anyone have any warranty issues so far with their dealers not covering problems and using the catalyst mod as the reason? Also, I was told that no fueling adjustments were necessary. Just hook it up and I'm good to go. Not true?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Redwing said:
I just bought a cat-free midpipe from Ferracci. Before I install it, anyone have any warranty issues so far with their dealers not covering problems and using the catalyst mod as the reason? Also, I was told that no fueling adjustments were necessary. Just hook it up and I'm good to go. Not true?

Thanks!
My dealer is doing the mod so I'm not expecting any warranty issues. I don't believe he's going to be making any fuelling changes - it's just cat pipe out, cat-free pipe in - so yes, you'll be good to go (as far as I know. Which isn't very far, I'm new to this MV thing...)

bc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,476 Posts
bc,
I have RG3's, mid pipe and MV Corse race ecu.
Runs beautiful, eliminates the 5,000rpm glitch and the sound is glorious.

You can still sneak out of home at low revs without upsetting the neighbours. I presume my noise nazi next door prefers to be woken by the MV instead of the Harley :laughing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
beancounter said:
50% may be enough mate. I'm just going to do the usual things in order until I feel I can live with it. TBH I don't see why I should have to shell out lots more cash to get this bike to fuel right, but than again I'm sure that's what everyone thinks. I would have expected a £20k bike to fuel right out of the box but c'est la M-vie (just my little joke there).

Thanks.

bc
I totally agree with the "TBH I don't see why I should have to shell out lots more cash to get this bike to fuel right" but its not the only bike out there with fuelling issues brought about by the euro 3 regs, 1098's also suffer as do some jap bikes.

To be honest by the time you have paid and installed for a PC111 your not to far away in £'s from just getting the race ecu from emoto and fixing it properly, you would however need to get your dealer to fit it as it needs setting up from new :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,937 Posts
Broms said:
bc,
I have RG3's, mid pipe and MV Corse race ecu.
Runs beautiful, eliminates the 5,000rpm glitch and the sound is glorious.

You can still sneak out of home at low revs without upsetting the neighbours. I presume my noise nazi next door prefers to be woken by the MV instead of the Harley :laughing:
Or the Trumpy or the Aston Martin or the...:laughing:

Craig you can move next to me anytime,I'll put a deckchair out front and admire! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Broms said:
bc,
I have RG3's, mid pipe and MV Corse race ecu.
Runs beautiful, eliminates the 5,000rpm glitch and the sound is glorious.

You can still sneak out of home at low revs without upsetting the neighbours. I presume my noise nazi next door prefers to be woken by the MV instead of the Harley :laughing:
Not sure if my insurer allows any modifications e.g. RG3's.

I'm not counting the mid-pipe as a modification as (in the event of an off/claim) you can't really tell that it's been done.

bc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,937 Posts
beancounter said:
Not sure if my insurer allows any modifications e.g. RG3's.

I'm not counting the mid-pipe as a modification as (in the event of an off/claim) you can't really tell that it's been done.

bc
No good bc,change insurers mate.

There has to be someone that'll fix you up with a good deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
My God! That R1 video is astonishing. Oddly and happily, my 5k flat spot seems to be less noticeable as the engine settles in. I have 1600+ miles so far. Anyone else noticing this happy accident? Oh, I just came in from installing the new midpipe from Ferracci. Not a big deal. Fits perfectly. Haven't ridden yet, looking forward to the heat reduction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just had mid-pipe replaced.

Big improvement - 5000 rpm flat spot / hesitation now practically gone, although now seems a bit sticky around 3-4000 rpm. Hardly a big problem, and hopefully will improve further with mileage (now have 1,000 on the odo).

bc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
power commander, new mid pipe (no cat) is now smoother, clitch at 5000 still there but not as bad, now graph shows 167bhp instead of 162.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top