MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, been a long time lurker here. I do know some folks here from the 1098 forum. I have a 1098S and a 999R, never owned an MV but always wanted one. My buddy Ara7 (who is on this forum) who recently bought a 1000R had convinced me to go test ride the bike at my local dealer.

So yesterday I did just that and was equally impressed with both. The power is astounding, I've had Gixxer 1K's in the past and I have to say the power rush on the MV is second to none. Downright scary if you don't have good self control. I was truly amped after I got back from each ride. I liked the 312 better because of it's smoother throttle response which helps me modulate the throttle better going in and out of corners. However, my dealer has a great deal going with the 1000R that has me thinking twice.

My question to members here is, will changing the mid-pipe and installing the race ecu help smooth out the throttle response on the 1000R? Has anybody done this and were happy with the results?

Thanks in advance.

Arnie

·
Registered
88 Posts
throttle response

you do have to wonder about the throttle response on the F4. I know, this has been the subject of much discussion. Still...

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have an '07R and have the same concern (problem's too strong a word) with respect to the throttle response. I'm used to it but when I get tired of dealing with it, I'll do something. I've installed the mid-pipe, no ECU yet, and I've noticed no difference in the throttle but I wasn't expecting any with such minor mods. I've read a number of posts from other folks who've addressed the situation by modifying the throttle spring mechanism. It's in the forum somewhere and shouldn't be too hard to dig up. It's probably how I'll deal with it until I install RG3'S and a new ECU. Not gettin' much ridin' in these days anyway. Good luck oh and by the way, get the MV. Throttle-schmottle the bike's "Nucking Futs."

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Hey Nucking I have the earlier S model 1000 which doesn't seem to suffer with the same throttle response issues as the current R model is know to have, but I believe most of the R owners have been able to overcome this annoyance through a combination of tuning and fuel maping, without to much trouble other than the added expense it involves. I think you'll find that even when you factor in the price of a complete exhaust upgrade with either a new eprom / chip unit and or power commander the R model, at it's current rates / package still represents a pretty outstanding deal that's tough to beat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an '07R and have the same concern (problem's too strong a word) with respect to the throttle response. I'm used to it but when I get tired of dealing with it, I'll do something. I've installed the mid-pipe, no ECU yet, and I've noticed no difference in the throttle but I wasn't expecting any with such minor mods. I've read a number of posts from other folks who've addressed the situation by modifying the throttle spring mechanism. It's in the forum somewhere and shouldn't be too hard to dig up. It's probably how I'll deal with it until I install RG3'S and a new ECU. Not gettin' much ridin' in these days anyway. Good luck oh and by the way, get the MV. Throttle-schmottle the bike's "Nucking Futs."
LOL, yes the bike is "Nucking Futs"!!! The pearl and black has been on my mind all day today.

Hey Nucking I have the earlier S model 1000 which doesn't seem to suffer with the same throttle response issues as the current R model is know to have, but I believe most of the R owners have been able to overcome this annoyance through a combination of tuning and fuel maping, without to much trouble other than the added expense it involves. I think you'll find that even when you factor in the price of a complete exhaust upgrade with either a new eprom / chip unit and or power commander the R model, at it's current rates / package still represents a pretty outstanding deal that's tough to beat.
With the current incentives being offered you are correct, it is tough to beat even with the added expense of the mid pipe and ecu. Which is why I'm seriously considering getting one.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Taking off a spring on the return for the throttle helped alot! but its still a bit of on and off. I dont have quite the funds to spend on a mid pipe and exhaust right now but when I do I will have to let you know if it works.

The black/pearl is the tits!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

+1

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
NF,
I have Rg3's, mid pipe and mv corse race ecu. The bike has been set up beautifully and the response is smooth and progressive, the 5k rpm surge eliminated. (plus the sound:mouthwate)

But unless the dealer will look after you on these mods...the cost could bring you up to the price of the r312...which has better throttle response out of the box.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I can honestly say that I have had very little issue with fuelling, (I have 1000R) other than a bit of snatch coming off a part closed throttle in first gear, which seems to affect most bikes, no matter what size or make. It certainly affected my previous Fireblade, & Ninja before that. I guess it is what you just get used to, or what you see as an issue. :stickpoke

Careful initial set up by the dealer initially would overcome most of the issues IMO.Talking with Mitch Moseley (Red Dog) he has had several recent experiences MV handing out bikes to the press with the throttle bodies so out of balance it's untrue. Guess what - they slated the fuelling !:blah:

I have just had RG3s fitted with the race ECU, but have retained the cat.
have not run the bike on the dyno yet - will probably find out the fuelling is cr*p now !!!!! :jsm:

has anyone mapped the difference between cat / no cat with the RG3s?

Went mainly for noise, although you can never have enough HP !:yo:

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Hi guys, been a long time lurker here. I do know some folks here from the 1098 forum. I have a 1098S and a 999R, never owned an MV but always wanted one. My buddy Ara7 (who is on this forum) who recently bought a 1000R had convinced me to go test ride the bike at my local dealer.

So yesterday I did just that and was equally impressed with both. The power is astounding, I've had Gixxer 1K's in the past and I have to say the power rush on the MV is second to none. Downright scary if you don't have good self control. I was truly amped after I got back from each ride. I liked the 312 better because of it's smoother throttle response which helps me modulate the throttle better going in and out of corners. However, my dealer has a great deal going with the 1000R that has me thinking twice.

My question to members here is, will changing the mid-pipe and installing the race ecu help smooth out the throttle response on the 1000R? Has anybody done this and were happy with the results?
Thanks in advance.

Arnie
Yes, sure it will.
And if that's not enough you can fit a PC3 or a Rapid Bike to further fine tune the fuelling.
I've never done it myself because i never had an R (just an S and now the 312R) but there are some forum member that have made that and got very good results.

Ah btw.... welcome Arnie and go get your MV :stickpoke :popcorn:
You won't regret it :f4:

But keep the 999R too ;)

·
Registered
762 Posts

But keep the 999R too ;)
... +1 Big welcome! and Keep the 999R, between an MV and that, you got the best of both worlds... holy crap, 2 Italian "R's" !

The more you ride either one, the more you'll love the other... that comes from first hand experience :yo:

·
Registered
118 Posts
... +1 Big welcome! and Keep the 999R, between an MV and that, you got the best of both worlds... holy crap, 2 Italian "R's" !

The more you ride either one, the more you'll love the other... that comes from first hand experience :yo:
Yes Fernando,
This is my Bud Arnie I was telling you about.
Arnie, Fernando here is the other guy who bought his Black/White 1000R from Spectrum. Fernando's the one who told me to get the 1000R, buy the RG3, Race ECU, and mid pipe which I did. That's still a few thousand less than the 312.
I was talking to Fernando after I spoke with you.
He called Ferraci who said you can have someone tune the throttle bodies, etc and that will take care of most of that issue.
I put over a hundred miles on mine yesterday through the canyons out by me. I hate to admit this, but I like the MV overall better than the 1098. I did from the moment I rode the beast.
I rode with Daniel who owns a F750 MV. I mentioned the surge issue. He said everyone who has done the Race ECU has gotten rid of the surge (right guys?).
I still kinda like that 6k 2 stroke surge, but will have Spectrum do the install in a couple of weeks since I bought the parts already.
You won't go wrong with either!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, sure it will.
And if that's not enough you can fit a PC3 or a Rapid Bike to further fine tune the fuelling.
I've never done it myself because i never had an R (just an S and now the 312R) but there are some forum member that have made that and got very good results.

But keep the 999R too ;)
Thanks for the welcome! And yes, I plan on keeping the 1098S and the 999R. I like them both too much to part with either.

Yes Fernando,
This is my Bud Arnie I was telling you about.
Arnie, Fernando here is the other guy who bought his Black/White 1000R from Spectrum. Fernando's the one who told me to get the 1000R, buy the RG3, Race ECU, and mid pipe which I did. That's still a few thousand less than the 312.
I was talking to Fernando after I spoke with you.
He called Ferraci who said you can have someone tune the throttle bodies, etc and that will take care of most of that issue.
I put over a hundred miles on mine yesterday through the canyons out by me. I hate to admit this, but I like the MV overall better than the 1098. I did from the moment I rode the beast.
I rode with Daniel who owns a F750 MV. I mentioned the surge issue. He said everyone who has done the Race ECU has gotten rid of the surge (right guys?).
I still kinda like that 6k 2 stroke surge, but will have Spectrum do the install in a couple of weeks since I bought the parts already.
You won't go wrong with either!
Hi Fernando and Ara,
Let's all get together and go for a ride. This weekend looks good for me if weather permits.
I'll be speaking with Aaron at Spectrum later this week. :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Thanks for the welcome! And yes, I plan on keeping the 1098S and the 999R. I like them both too much to part with either.
Hi Fernando and Ara,
Let's all get together and go for a ride. This weekend looks good for me if weather permits.
I'll be speaking with Aaron at Spectrum later this week. :)
Hi Arnie: I would be delighted to join you guys, but I am traveling for 2 weeks! I am currently freezing my ass off here in New York! Next week, I go to an even much colder place across the planet!

So I'll be looking forward to getting back home and definitely having a ride with you guys soon (hopefully) in much better climate!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts