MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Willow Springs (large track) yesterday just getting some track time under my belt and there was another MV there- A nice new 1000! Soon group 2 comes back in to the paddock and they were pissed as oil was all over turn 1!! They said that an MV puked oil !?!?! SO I poked around and first it was rumored that the oil cap came off the bike on the turn, then when the bike came in and the fairings were removed, the owner was holding the rod which had landed in the lower fairing and he was just looking at it, dumbfounded.. it had punched a hole in the case and come out! the top which goes through the wrist-pin was intact, so the piston must have split as well! he doesn't remember missing a shift or anything.. something must have gone wrong out there.. :violin:

Also some pics of me on my bike-

Coleman.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ouch!!! Let's hope that's an isolated incident and has nothing to do with the timing chain recall issued to the R's and Senna's since it did not mention the S's.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The way that rod came out of the motor so intact, I'm wondering what broke first?

Sure hope Cagiva USA helps this guy/gal out!

Alex

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
altoon said:
The way that rod came out of the motor so intact, I'm wondering what broke first?

Sure hope Cagiva USA helps this guy/gal out!

Alex
Looks like a rod bolt issue.................. if the rod's intact it's all it can be really, :jsm:

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
:jsm: :jsm: :jsm: :jsm:

That really SUCKS!!!! :stickpoke

Seems like the same problem that affected an F4 1000 in Germany during a bike mag test (talk about good publicity :jerkoff: )

·
Registered
123 Posts
Difficult to tell from the pic but the big-end looks burnt to me - as if it's tried to seize. Can't spot the shells, so maybe they're still welded to the crank?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Mike - I was thinking rod bolt too.

Sure would like to be there when the cases get split.

Where is the wrist pin? And what does the piston look like? Not to mention the crank and rod journals...

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
:later: The way that con rod has come out of the motor so intact, I'm wondering if de man in Italy even bothered tightening the con rod bolts, me think he went on his tea brake instead. :violin: :barfalot:

·
Registered
339 Posts
You're typically doing two quick downshifts into turn 1 which can be pretty hard on the engine. Without a slipper clutch, rev matching is critical. But even if you accidentally went down three gears, I would expect you might lock up the rear, not throw a rod. Something wasn't right.

Aside from the bad day this guy had, how did yours go Coleman?

·
Registered
198 Posts
stephen wood said:
:later: The way that con rod has come out of the motor so intact, I'm wondering if de man in Italy even bothered tightening the con rod bolts, me think he went on his tea brake instead. :violin: :barfalot:

Hey bud, there aren't any wussy tea breaks in Italy, it's Chianti! :later:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Looks like a pile of spares to me now ....
Believe me. That ISN'T going to be a cheap fix.

Ouch

1 - 20 of 35 Posts