MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this answered before but can't find it, has anybody swapped their 1000 S in for a 1000 R? and if so what's your opinion between the two please........thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,937 Posts
mikef4uk said:
I've seen this answered before but can't find it, has anybody swapped their 1000 S in for a 1000 R? and if so what's your opinion between the two please........thanks

DO it Mike. Even I am questioning my 750 fortitude..but not much :laughing: No brainer if you've already jumped to the litre dark side :koolaid:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,577 Posts
I wanted to trade in my S for an R, but the loss in two months was too much to actually do it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,473 Posts
this one has me thinking too.

i like the S, but the R has everything that fixes the minor problems on the S. however, i got my S at such a good deal i'd have to dig pretty deep in the pocket to make up the difference.

so, for now, i'm going to sit tight on my S bike.

alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,577 Posts
Yup, instead in decided to invest in some other things to make this bike really mine. Some carbon pieces, RG3 and midpipe, Rapid bike module...

BTW: what kind of minor problems are you refering about??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,473 Posts
Maximum Velocity said:
BTW: what kind of minor problems are you refering about??
brakes mostly. but i'd like my S to turn quicker, which the R will probably do because of the lighter wheels. the upgraded suspension is also nice, which includes better rear shock behavior when hard on the brakes (full extension).

alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
JamesC said:
DO it Mike. Even I am questioning my 750 fortitude..but not much :laughing: No brainer if you've already jumped to the litre dark side :koolaid:

Yeah....I'd like to find an R with a blown engine. Spoon in the SPR lump and the ultimate MV!

Wonder if the upcoming 800CC motoGP will help us get new 750s again?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,577 Posts
JamesC said:
You can just transfer those same things to make the 1000R yours :stickpoke :nerd:
True! But I would still have the loss hey? :stickpoke
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies but we still haven't heard from anyone who's owned or ridden both? The problem changing mine at the moment in the UK is "D & K" a well known rather large motorcycle shop has been to MV and bought a lot of the "left over" 1000's, they are selling them at £10999, which is quite a saving on the list of £14250, it's also angered the importer somewhat :mad: so obviously second hand values are pretty sh*t at the moment, but hopefully they will recover once all the 1000S's are sold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JamesC said:
DO it Mike. Even I am questioning my 750 fortitude..but not much :laughing: No brainer if you've already jumped to the litre dark side :koolaid:
I'm just tossing the idea about at the moment James, no firm plans either way, I still like the red/silver paint, but the "R's" black is growing on me slowly, I just wish they had left the "MV Agusta" off the side of the top fairing, I don't think anything looks "proper" there, I also don't have an issue with the std pre radial brakes, if they're powerfull enough to howl the front wheel all the way from 3 digits to a standstill they'll do for me :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
mikef4uk said:
I'm just tossing the idea about at the moment James, no firm plans either way, I still like the red/silver paint, but the "R's" black is growing on me slowly, I just wish they had left the "MV Agusta" off the side of the top fairing, I don't think anything looks "proper" there, I also don't have an issue with the std pre radial brakes, if they're powerfull enough to howl the front wheel all the way from 3 digits to a standstill they'll do for me :)
Thanks mikef4uk, I feel better. I was beginning to think I was a bit daft for I too regret the move of the MV Agusta logo to the top fairing on the red and silver R (the ONLY colour for a MV IMHO). I've made enquiries about moving the decal and repainting and re clear coating but it gets expensive quickly becuase of the number of pieces involved. Damn!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
mikef4uk said:
Thanks for all the replies but we still haven't heard from anyone who's owned or ridden both? The problem changing mine at the moment in the UK is "D & K" a well known rather large motorcycle shop has been to MV and bought a lot of the "left over" 1000's, they are selling them at £10999, which is quite a saving on the list of £14250, it's also angered the importer somewhat :mad: so obviously second hand values are pretty sh*t at the moment, but hopefully they will recover once all the 1000S's are sold.
I went through the same thoughts m8.. the D&K F4's are imports.. and if u try and get them serviced at proper MV .. they will charge u £1k to put them on the GB MV register... u can get a proper F4 1000 for around £12k and the R £14K ... but i've had black bikes before... absolutely shit to keep clean.. even when u think u've got them clean.. when dry .. up pops the dirt that u couldn't see... as for radial brakes.. BLING !!! look nice , but unless ur racing at top level.. forget them.. no difference at all.. with the £2k saving .. u could get some nice carbon/exhaust-slip on - PCIII etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Don't be fooled by the new R Model. Companies as a Whole do not give you something for nothing ie new model r @ same price as old S. (Radial brembo brakes. These are the base model brembo's iv'e had 4 bikes with them on and believe me they are the cheapest) do work though. The S version Nissins are a work of art but unfashionable non radial. New fork have no quick release system just std pinch bolts? . Having read the engine differance ? only +6 HP but now with 5k step. this seems to be A ecu issue. Do like the wheels but not the colour. The long and the short if it is in my opinion the R Costs MV less to produce than the S. I had the choice between the two models and went for the S. Dont be a fashion victim the choice is yours just dont let it cost you.
PS the model @ 11k from DK is a no brainer Import or not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,586 Posts
i,ll try to shed some light on this question!

hi all,

Im happy to say i own a 1000R and have previously owned the f4 750+1000s, I,ve only done 800km since i bought it but the diffrences can be noticed straight away.

Firstly the throttle response is diffrent, the 1000s has a smoother band wave through the rev range, But overall acceleration on the 1000R is much improved over the s model. The front brakes what a diffrence, i have now complete confidence in braking late before hitting a corner at high speeds the brembo brakes have sorted the braking issue at the front but the rear nissin brakes are no use to me. what a shame brembo should have been on rear also. The lighted wheelson the 1000R make a great diffrence when you take it on the track, i riden an 1000R on track before buying mine and what a diffrence under heavy braking hard cornering and letting the rear end slide in a controlled manner. The 1000R has a flat spot on 5000rpm which i hate but spoke to dealer he told mv thats because of MV meeting there emission regulations. I was told all i need to do is change the exhaust and mapping on the ECU.

some advice now if i may, 1000S riders i know you may be tempted by the 1000R but personally the price diffrence if Trading in your 1000S id too much. If you are track oriented rider like me then better to get the 1000R if not then stick to the 1000S until MV come out with something Out right better than the 1000S and in similair price range.

Hope i helped. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
rapide said:
Don't be fooled by the new R Model. Companies as a Whole do not give you something for nothing ie new model r @ same price as old S. (Radial brembo brakes. These are the base model brembo's iv'e had 4 bikes with them on and believe me they are the cheapest) do work though. The S version Nissins are a work of art but unfashionable non radial. New fork have no quick release system just std pinch bolts? . Having read the engine differance ? only +6 HP but now with 5k step. this seems to be A ecu issue. Do like the wheels but not the colour. The long and the short if it is in my opinion the R Costs MV less to produce than the S. I had the choice between the two models and went for the S. Dont be a fashion victim the choice is yours just dont let it cost you.
PS the model @ 11k from DK is a no brainer Import or not?
Bla bla bla...

The main reason MV Agusta can build the "R" cheaper is because they sell a lot more bikes these days.

Some facts :

-Wheels: 4kg (= 8,82 Pound) lighter then the wheels on the "S" and lighter then the magnesium wheels on the "Oro".

-Bolted Brembo calipers. Not just the cheapest, but good performing radial mounted calipers. Just the same as on the Ducati 999R.

-Clutch comes with 2 extra clutch plates.

-Not just another fork without a quick-release system. But the RAC50 Marzocchi fork, wich is from the same level as an Ohlins fork.

-New Magnetti Marelli engine managementsystem. Wich was designed for this engine. (the one on the "S" was designed for a 2 cyl Ducati engine).

-Improved upperpart of the engine.

Now I'm not making this up or getting this out of some brochure. I am quoting Steven Casaer, who worked as a testrider at MV agusta.


GreetS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
MVMANIA said:
hi all,

Im happy to say i own a 1000R and have previously owned the f4 750+1000s, I,ve only done 800km since i bought it but the diffrences can be noticed straight away.

Firstly the throttle response is diffrent, the 1000s has a smoother band wave through the rev range, But overall acceleration on the 1000R is much improved over the s model. The front brakes what a diffrence, i have now complete confidence in braking late before hitting a corner at high speeds the brembo brakes have sorted the braking issue at the front but the rear nissin brakes are no use to me. what a shame brembo should have been on rear also. The lighted wheelson the 1000R make a great diffrence when you take it on the track, i riden an 1000R on track before buying mine and what a diffrence under heavy braking hard cornering and letting the rear end slide in a controlled manner. The 1000R has a flat spot on 5000rpm which i hate but spoke to dealer he told mv thats because of MV meeting there emission regulations. I was told all i need to do is change the exhaust and mapping on the ECU.

some advice now if i may, 1000S riders i know you may be tempted by the 1000R but personally the price diffrence if Trading in your 1000S id too much. If you are track oriented rider like me then better to get the 1000R if not then stick to the 1000S until MV come out with something Out right better than the 1000S and in similair price range.

Hope i helped. :)

Personally i race with aprilia and the brembo's do feel better than the nissans, but thats just down to individual feel, the seem to have the same stopping power, rear brake.. whats that for !!! lol.. never worked on the mille so dont use it..


I'm not certain about the diff in weight of the wheels, but i'd doubt you'd really notice the difference, unless your talking a major weight saving..

"The lighted wheels on the 1000R make a great diffrence when you take it on the track, i riden an 1000R on track before buying mine and what a diffrence under heavy braking hard cornering and letting the rear end slide in a controlled manner."

This is surley down to your preference of bremo's and the additional confidence you now have ..



Aprilia and Ducati have gone through the same process of using cheaper parts .. that are made/assembled in the far east ( china etc)
The Brembo's and Ohlins (front/back) on the Aprilia's are not nessarily the REAL thing ... and i would expect the same on the dukes and MV's.. :bawling:

So unless the 'R' takes ur breath away , i'd spend the extra cash on upgrading the fork internals (shim stack etc), new rear, and exhaust and bling bits ..
 

·
Pimp of posts
Joined
·
6,301 Posts
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Top