MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone g down 1 tooth on their front sprocket for the TV? I was wondering if it would help the initial ratcheting noise from the clutch assy or help with initial acceleration.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Have you had the clutch TSB with larger dampeners installed on your bike?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I typically drop a tooth on the front on all my bikes. The benefit for me has been a snappier pick up, easier to wheelie, and it helps get through the low rpm ECU mapping stumble that most bikes seem to have have nowdays, and for around town riding my typical speed vs rpm seems to be better aligned in the sweet spot (hope I stated that to make sense).

The disadvantage is quicker chain and front counter sprocket wear, and some lose of top end speed, but honestly how often are you going to bounce it off the rev limiter in 6th?!

That all said, I'd never drop below a 14 tooth, too hard on the chain and breaking a chain isn't pretty.

I pick up my new 2016 TVL on Thursday, can't wait! Until then would I be correct to assume the stock front counter sprocket is a 15 tooth and the chain is a 525 or 530?

Also, FYI... one tooth in the front = three in the rear, typically.

EDIT; I just read the specs and its a 16 tooth front, meaning drop it a tooth and have no worries

·
Registered
217 Posts
Those are the exact words I had when I discovered it back in 2010.

I found the site was an enormous asset when gearing my 500 cc dirt bikes and supermotos for different ride environments. If you really dig into the site, you will find very elaborate comparisons for potential gearing combinations which can help tremendously for many different applications.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gearing commander is saying that I have a 625 chain. I thought we had a 525 chain???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Fastspy, I'd forgotten all about that site, getting old isn't for the weak! I used it to help me work out my gearing for my first Pikes Peak race back in 2010.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts