MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
So a serious question, what happens if the brits tell Brussels to piss off? Not really leave the union but just say, "screw this, we arent paying a damned bit."

I cant imagine the reprisal could really be material; after all, the EU is the one asking the UK for money. Obviously as an American I am not as sharp on these issues but it really does seem, at least in recent history, that the EU has been telling the brits that they want their money but will still refuse them influence in the EU.

It seems like the UK would be the better off from a divorce.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Same with NL. So then they do well and this is the response. And first Germany and France were having the big mouths...

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
What a joke, even Greece are expected to stump up some cash and they haven't got a pot to piss in :laughing:

Cameron is only taking a hard line on it because he knows if he doesn't everyone will vote for UKIP and he's right to worry.

I don't know the whole story, I know Maggie negotiated a stonking deal out of the EU for UK farming subsidies and I don't think the French have ever forgiven us for that but I suspect now we give an awful lot more than we get back?

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So a serious question, what happens if the brits tell Brussels to piss off? Not really leave the union but just say, "screw this, we arent paying a damned bit."

I cant imagine the reprisal could really be material; after all, the EU is the one asking the UK for money. Obviously as an American I am not as sharp on these issues but it really does seem, at least in recent history, that the EU has been telling the brits that they want their money but will still refuse them influence in the EU.

It seems like the UK would be the better off from a divorce.
He (Cameron) has said he's not payin!! :popcorn:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11184760/David-Cameron-demands-emergency-talks-over-EU-budget-demand.html

Here is a breakdown of who gets as bill..., and who gets a rebate.....
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/ampp3d/17bn-bill-uk-france-gets-4497974

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I bet Germany is paying some less than in previous Years.
But it is not that Germany changed from a paying country into a receiver country.
Germany paid over all this Years the most into the pot.
And again the EU parliaments majority is out of receiving countries overruling the minority which is paying.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Good on him. Its not like the EU is going to pass on the other 7bil they are already paying and kick them out.

If you guys need advice on how to handle a revolutionary war to get some overtaxing bureaucracy off of your backs, well, you know who to call. :)

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
If you look at this article and got to the bottom bit you can see why their picking us out:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11645975

Maggie bless her brokered a deal 30 years ago where all the member states pay a contribution back to us as a rebate for farming subsidies the majority of which is picked up by the French and Italians :laughing:

But what it also shows is while it may look like Germany and France are being given money while it is taken from us in reality they are just being given a discount on the higher rate they already pay. I think what's really going on is the EU would like to scrap the farming subsides rebate we get but can't so they are trying to claw back some back in other ways ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts