MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was riding my F4 a few weeks ago in southern California, warm temps, shit traffic ect... I took off from a light in 3rd gear like a dummy and killed the bike, hit the start button and it was a super slow crank and didn't fire, pulled off to the side of the road and gave it one last shot, before I could hit the start button again I lost all electrical. Went home and grabbed the truck got the bike and started tearing into it.. found the recharge fuse blown, didn't have another 40 so I tossed a 30 amp in just to see if it would power back up, it did for about 3 seconds and blew that fuse... quick trip to the parts store I had a proper 40 amp installed and bike fired right up but now the starter relay seems to be making a loud clacking sound and my idle seems off, as if I had a real lopy cam installed and now every once in a while, nothing consistent, when I pull in the clutch the bike dies, it is able to start right back up though. Yesterday I had the bike die with the clutch pulled in and when I went to start it again blew the recharge fuse again... any one have any ideas? I have checked all the wiring for any shorts and could not find anything.

·
Super Moderator
22,472 Posts
Tim, pull the starter solenoid out and clean the connectors. There should have been a spare 40 amp fuse in the holder for the solenoid.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it blew on me again this morning. it blows when the bike is already running. So in my troubleshooting of the bike, I have taken it apart and inspected the wiring as best I could with out taking off all the looming. I pulled all fuses and checked the wiring for grounds with a Fluke DMM. I have replaced the starter relay and checked the other relay forward of the starter relay for proper operation (works well as far as I could tell). and I know that there SHOULD be a spare fuse in the starter relay, however I have since used that and extras haha, its kind of been an ongoing problem. I am starting to lean toward the voltage relay or the alternator. This morning when it blew I was revving at someone that was trying to merge into me. I am starting to run out of ideas so everything is appreciated very much.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Symptomatic of diode faiure.
Do a search on forum.
Joe
I had checked this, no issue there.. however I FOUND IT! :f4: so when it blew the fuse yesterday it ended up with a hard ground and I was able to chase it to the line side of the fuse box on the other side of the bike. the wire had rubbed against the frame and broke through the insulation. My guess is that the wire only hit the frame under high vibration, would short blow the fuse then fall away from the frame allowing me to put a new fuse in and have no further issues, but yesterday it had fused itself to the frame. Thanks everyone for the input and help along the way.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good work ! Which wire was shorting on the frame ?
Joe
not exactly sure, I'll know on the weekend when I pull it fully apart to put shrink on it and cover the frame spot a bit better, I just kind of band-aided it at the moment. I'll try to get some pictures too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts