MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I had a Shorai in my bike, it sat for 3 months, dead. No way to charge it so I bought a cheapo Autozone replacement, actually I bought 2 and put one in my Yamaha FZ1 at the same time.Rode the MV quite a few times, no problem. FZ1 just sat other than an occassional start up. Anyway, my brutale sat for about 1 month, dead battery. Jumped it off, ran it for about 2 hrs, started up good multible times. Next morning......click click! WTF? Any ideas on what could be causing a drain?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Everything visible is working normal, no light/blinker etc issues which might indicate a spu problem.

***Members here who I was friends with on facebook, I did not unfriend yall, I deleted my FB for good.***********

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Is your Alternator going ?

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Hi Daryl

Tim might be right, your alternator might not be charging, have a look through the manual and test the charging voltage at the battery.(Easy to do and hopefully all is good here)
The MV's do have a drain problem and will drain a weak or poor quality battery very quickly though.
Make sure you take the bike for at least a good 20min ride and see what it does.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I will check that when I get in from the rig.:)

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
?

Good idea to keep Battery Tender on when sitting.
Wills;
you keep a tender on your car??

1,375,000 mi on bikes and never a battery tender

my '66 Big Block Chevy at 327,000 mi has the original alternator....
a 37 Amp Delco........and a 200 Watt PER channel amp

MVs have a 51 Amp Denso alternator.......controlled by the ECU

i wonder where the problem is? :jerkoff::jerkoff::jerkoff::jerkoff::jerkoff:

i put 11,000 mi on my '08 Brutale...... it used a low beam bulb, thats, IT NO PROBLEMS, PERIOD

OK and tires twice......brake pads should be due soon

oh, thats right a Mitch hub and a MicroTec ECU are installed too

·
Super Moderator
22,617 Posts
With all due respect, Noel....those of us who live in colder climes than you fortunates in Cali NEED tenders.
Batteries lose voltage by design over time...we've been through this. Yes, I keep my cars on tenders if I am not going to drive them in a month...the lawn tractor gets one too. I can have batteries last well past their 5 year design life by doing so. Tenders, good ones, are a good idea...and they keep weak batteries ready to go. If you get a really good smart charger, it will also de-sulfate and restore batteries.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use Battery Tender+ and BT Juniors on all my vehicles. Plug in a BT+ each night on my '95 M3 and unplug it in the morning. The OE Douglas battery lasted 13 years under this regimen. Plug in a BT junior each morning on whichever one of the 14 bikes I'm heading out on that day. Generally get 7 to 10 years service out of the bike batteries. It does get brisk here in the mountains though. -27 degrees F is the nippiest I've seen so far. It also rarely exceeds 85 F on the hottest summer days.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wills;
you keep a tender on your car?? Which one...the 57 T-Bird, the GTO, the s60R? be more specific.

1,375,000 mi on bikes and never a battery tender I have numerous bikes, and if they sit for weeks the tender goes on. Bring your MV into the cold winter, but remember I won't push your ass to get it running.

my '66 Big Block Chevy at 327,000 mi has the original alternator....
a 37 Amp Delco........and a 200 Watt PER channel amp Chevys are like assholes, everyone has one.

MVs have a 51 Amp Denso alternator.......controlled by the ECU

i wonder where the problem is? :jerkoff::jerkoff::jerkoff::jerkoff::jerkoff: It's always the tools/parts fault, not the mechanic?

i put 11,000 mi on my '08 Brutale...... it used a low beam bulb, thats, IT NO PROBLEMS, PERIOD spell check this

OK and tires twice......brake pads should be due soon

oh, thats right a Mitch hub and a MicroTec ECU are installed too
Truth be told since I installed the lithium on the Brute, the charger is rarely required. But a standard battery won't last the winter. Every spring the shop gets numerous calls...won't start, mostly dead batteries that were not charged during the winter. You want to come to Reno and pick up all those bikes to argue your theory? It would make our days much easier:drummer:

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
OK, folks in the age of disco electronics......

what is the mA draw with the key off?
remember only the electronic clock is running (or should be anyway) so what could drag your battery down?????

now what is your charging voltage?
it should be ~14.5V @ 2,000 rpm @ 25deg C

my Mother's Lexus RX 330 eats batteries

my sister's Honda Element eats batteries

my friend Jackie's Honda Element eats them too

they all show charging voltages ~13.42 to 13.51 V
measured with a Fluke 87 MK III with a low battery:wtf::wtf::wtf:
it should be ~14.5-15V

if i intentionally leave the lights on on the '66 El Camino to run the battery down and start it.......the alternator throws major current in to the battery......it has an Amp gauge......i never checked the voltage, i have the factory manual so i can look it up:stickpoke

my neighbor Mitch's daughter's Mitsubishi solenoid wouldn't even click this morning......
he brings me the battery, 12.81V with the Fluke......Snap On YA-271 battery load tester says its good

the ECU/alarm is interfering

did you look a the 8 page explanation of the charging system on the MV???????

my Brutale has NO issues, charges at 14.79V @ 2,000 RPM
decatted, Arrow shorty, MicroTec

and it only needs 5% of the maintenance of the Nazi pig R1150GS:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
Chuck;
my El Camino has been sitting since 2007 without being started or charged.......just for giggles i'm going to try and revive it:naughty:

·
Super Moderator
22,617 Posts
Woo...Hooo.....Noel! That'll be fun! (Kitchen Sink perhaps....:stickpoke)

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
So it's the rider's fault? That we're not riding long enough to charge the battery? And we're not riding often enough? That's the crotchety, unpractical answer? My Shorai, purchased in Feb '12, after changing a Yuasa once a year, died after less than a year. The rides taken were typically ~30-40mi before being parked. The LiPo batts wouldn't get charged by the typical trickle, so I had no choice but to leave it untended. How much further/how often am I s'pose to ride this thing? Say on a weekday in LA? While not retired, perhaps with a wife, a kid or two, and with gas being $4.50/gal in LA? 100 miles? 200 miles? A day? (Are you kidding me?)

Yet none of my cars "eat" batteries, whatever that means. NONE, even the absolute total POS that is the '96 Miata which required 1 change in its entire lifetime. My POS Piaggio scooter? Starts every single day.

We're really happy your bike has always been so flawless. Seriously. We ALL want bikes to start and last like Hondas. Yet there are all sorts problems with the Brutale (e.g. the rear hub imploded, was warrantied; I'm nearly 100% certain _I_ didn't cause that) and it's told every single gd day on these forums. Still, we can only dream our steeds are as faultless as yours. Please just recognize that's simply not the case with everyone else, and put the :jerkoff: emoticon away.
Noel did not say it was the riders fault, you got the cat by the tail mate. He's saying there is a current draw on the MV's that will take advantage of a weak battery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts