MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I replace the front wheel bearings I thought I'd check if the problem is due to the poxy front axle set up and it not being quite tight enough.

There is a slight rumbling on the front wheel when spun on the stand and about 0.2mm/0.3mm of side to side movement when sideways force is applied to the front wheel. I'm pretty sure that I under torqued the front axle when I bolted it back to the wheel because I don't have any means of apply a torque wrench to the the nut (FFS who has a super deep 41mm socket and a spare 41mm spanner to do this job?) so decided slacker was better than too tight.

As I have "under the fork leg" front stands and therefore need to remove the bodywork & prop the bike on axle stands to remove the wheel then drive a 12 mile round trip to borrow another 41mm spanner and tighten/undo the nut I'm keen to avoid this being an iterative process so thought I'd ask here before pulling it apart.

Thanks

·
Registered
14,419 Posts
Graveltrap;
now, I literally hand tighten them.......I have most of the types of tools on the planet but no 41mm sockets or spanners

1st time I clamped the nut in the smooth jaws of a vise with a rag to protect it and turned the axle with an adjustable.....

:drummer:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Graveltrap;
now, I literally hand tighten them.......I have most of the types of tools on the planet but no 41mm sockets or spanners

1st time I clamped the nut in the smooth jaws of a vise with a rag to protect it and turned the axle with an adjustable.....

Thanks Noel it is most likely a wheel bearing then. I'll order a pair before pulling it appart.
By chance I have a 41mm car water pump spanner and if just "nipping it tight" is ok I can hold the wheel on a vice and save on mileage :)

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I bought the deepest 41mm socket I could find and then cut it across and welded an extension on it to give the full depth. I had no trouble getting a spanner for the other end.

When I say I did it, well that's not true as I don't weld but I know people lol.

I don't have Showa forks now so a forum member with same problem had the adapted socket from me.

·
Registered
14,419 Posts
Thanks Noel it is most likely a wheel bearing then. I'll order a pair before pulling it apart.
By chance I have a 41mm car water pump spanner and if just "nipping it tight" is ok I can hold the wheel on a vice and save on mileage :)

definitely a wheel bearing.....

the bearing number is 6907-2RS

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bearings now replaced; only 6.5k miles and one was rusty! Rumbling noise from front wheel has now gone.

These were some of the easiest bearings I've ever removed or replaced and it was nice not to have to hammer the life out of them as that can damage the wheel. My my bearing extractor kit didn't have a large enough extractor and I had to machine a little notch into the axle tube so I could get a drift to sit on the bearing properly.

In a slightly ironic twist my 41mm socket that isn't deep enough for tightening the axle made a perfect drift for inserting the new bearings!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts