MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going through the mental debate between the 2 bikes. was leaning towards the 1098S (deposit on black s), but the prices for a new '06 F4 make it very interesting.

What are teh changes to the '07 F4 - I see the radial brakes, not sure what else.

I have had several Duc's and still have my '00 996. Figure maybe get the F4 and let the rush die down on the 1098. Lot's of first time Duc buyers in the 1098 line. So I figure in a year or so the demand will let up kinda like when the Boxster first came out. Had to wait a long time to get one and now no problem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just my $0.02 but just get which ever one speaks to you. These bikes are an emotional purchase. I donit think the 1098 will go down on price much in the future. Ducati is raising the price for 07 which come out in July which will inflate the used prices on those bikes. If you want a 1098, this is a good time to buy one IMO.

·
Premium Member
13,695 Posts
charliep said:
Going through the mental debate between the 2 bikes. was leaning towards the 1098S (deposit on black s), but the prices for a new '06 F4 make it very interesting.

What are teh changes to the '07 F4 - I see the radial brakes, not sure what else.

I have had several Duc's and still have my '00 996. Figure maybe get the F4 and let the rush die down on the 1098. Lot's of first time Duc buyers in the 1098 line. So I figure in a year or so the demand will let up kinda like when the Boxster first came out. Had to wait a long time to get one and now no problem.
Well, since you have "several Ducs" and no MVs in the registry, I'd get the F4.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Nightshade said:
Ducati is raising the price for 07 which come out in July which will inflate the used prices on those bikes. If you want a 1098, this is a good time to buy one IMO.
Is that actually true or still just a rumor? After the sold the complete 07's pretty fast, I heard that they will add some bigger amount of dollars to the price for the 08 model. However, looking at various dealerships...you can put down a deposit on the 08 model that is still listed with the same price tag...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I misquoted when I said they'd raise th price for 07, I meant 08 but you obviously knew what I meant. My dealer has said that the pric is going up, they don't know by how much but he expects it to $1K, he also said he'd have more room to negotiate pricing on an 08 compared to 07's. All reports say the price is going up by at least $1000 but no official confirmation from ducati. Most of the people laying out deposits for 08's know the price will be going up but there have been reports of some dealers honoring the 07 price. Hopefully it will stay low (relatively) but i still think it's a good time to buy.

ASM said:
Is that actually true or still just a rumor? After the sold the complete 07's pretty fast, I heard that they will add some bigger amount of dollars to the price for the 08 model. However, looking at various dealerships...you can put down a deposit on the 08 model that is still listed with the same price tag...

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Nightshade said:
I misquoted when I said they'd raise th price for 07, I meant 08 but you obviously knew what I meant. My dealer has said that the pric is going up, they don't know by how much but he expects it to $1K, he also said he'd have more room to negotiate pricing on an 08 compared to 07's. All reports say the price is going up by at least $1000 but no official confirmation from ducati. Most of the people laying out deposits for 08's know the price will be going up but there have been reports of some dealers honoring the 07 price. Hopefully it will stay low (relatively) but i still think it's a good time to buy.
Well...I have even heard higher numbers since the 07 model was sold that quickly. But I agree...when you are in for a 1098 it might be a good idea to shop for the 08 model. If the sell the 08 charge as fast as the 07 prices may climb up even further. On the other side...they try to compete with the Japanese 1000cc machines...so, at some point the difference in price may get too big...time will tell I guess...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hi Charlie P.

If you can swing it go for a ride on both.

I have mates who have same Ducati's as you that pulled out of the 1098 after riding, in their words...their current 996's a 9 out of 10, and the 1098 is a 9.5. Great but not worth trading up.
That being the case, and you can afford it, why not have a Duke and a MV. Then all you have to stress out about is, "do I take the twin or the 4?"...hhmmm lifes good!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Exactly as the others have said, you've already got a 996 - which many consider the best of the 916 family. The 1098 is less desirable to me, at least.. and who wouldn't want the opportunity to wake up and choose between an Italian V-twin and an Italian inline 4?

Do everything you can in life to be spoilt for choice.. and variety :)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
It really boils down to whether you prefer a big twin or an in-line 4. :jsm:

I like both so I got both. :heart: If I already had a 996 and I got a 1098 which one would I ride on a sunny afternoon? :blah: One of them would become redundant I guess!! :banghead: In your situation I would get the MV but then I'm not you. :ahhh: Confused??? :crazyeyes So am I now :laughing: :moped:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
john said:
It really boils down to whether you prefer a big twin or an in-line 4. :jsm:

I like both so I got both. :heart: If I already had a 996 and I got a 1098 which one would I ride on a sunny afternoon?
So...how do you decide whether you want to ride the big twin or the inline 4 on a sunny afternoon instead? :confused: :)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
The MV gets it everytime really. :king: I probably misled you a bit, I don't have a 996, I have an ST4s which is the touring Duke with a 996 engine. The answer to your question is if I'm going out on my own, it will be the MV. :smoking: If I'm going out with my wife on the pillion it will be the Duke. :koolaid: I also use the Duke for commuting to work sometimes. The Duke is a great bike, even in touring guise, but the MV is the mutts nutts IMO. :f4:

·
Premium Member
5,621 Posts
I say buy the MV. There's no bike with more character. Unless you prefer a twin, but I don't although I also have one...

·
Registered
7 Posts
charliep said:
Chaliep, this is the same dilemma that I had a while back. Being a Ducatista for more than 15 years (started when I was very young) I never had considered buying any other bike than a Ducati. However, what made me take the leap to MV is that the 1098 has no originality in its design (and in my opinion, no design whatsoever), something that the MV has in excess. So at the end of the day, and after finally trying out both bikes and seeing them for myself (the 1098s and the F4R), I decided to go for the F4 312R; with more character, originality in its design, and exclusivity (and this applies to the F4S as well). With the F4 you just can't go wrong. But if you do buy the 1098 I've heard that there are ´07 models popping up all over the place and that there are going to be 26 changes made to the ´08 model, so for 1098 buyers it might be a good idea to wait and see what those changes are going to be about.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Depends on what you are looking for. Take them for a rest ride and then decide. V twin v inline four. I get on with both but the set up is very different. The 1098 is a lovely machine, but for me, the style/design is not ground breaking like the MV or the 916. The 1098 is a little Jap, 999, MV and 916 rolled into one. Which makes it very appealing to the mass audience! The MV is no doubt a work of art. Build quality is better than Ducati, paint work and finish is second to non, true hand built quality about it. Everything on the MV is nicely placed with lovely lines. Bit like an old E type Jag, lovely body. Yes, the MV is an old design, but its stood the test of time and still selling well.As with the 1098, very modern day looking which will no doubt fade in years to come. What ever you get, enjoy!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi, I would like to ask ou what are the MSRP for each and the OTD for each? Before knowing them I frankly see that MV is more exclusive and that for me adds value, so I would go for the MV first.
However, I have been reading great things about the 1098s particularly I like very much the Tricolore.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the comments

what about the differences between the '06 and the '07?

look to be very good deals on the '06 left overs

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

Part of below is a paste from my post on a previous thread.

Paste:

'Whatever you decide to buy and ride is a personal decision. They are all different and you buy what suits.

My 998R is still the second best looking bike on the road after 5 years and the new Ducati's are losing the 'exclusivity'. The 998R was the last of the 'proper' homologation models. in the 916, 996, 998 era the 'R /SPS' was special. The 999 was too expensive to get up to speed (don't take my word for it see the interview with Duc Corse's manager). That was the reason that you saw almost no 'customer' 999 racers and the bike was so pitiful in American Superbike ( too many regs). The 998R and previous were special.
Magnesium, Titanium and Carbon as far as the eye could see. The 999 didn't even have a slipper clutch!!

The 1098 is a lovely bike but special? They are not making an R / SPS model at all.

If you want a 'special' Duc it is going to cost you 40,000 pounds for Desmosedici RR.

For road use. Why follow the crowd? The MV is still special. regardless of model. Every outing is an event. Nothing looks like it or is built with the same attention to detail. It is a work of mechanical art and looks as if it is doing 312 Kph at stand still.'

Your choice but if I were you I would try to keep the 996 and treat yourself to an F4 as well.
As said above I have a 998R and the F4 1000R. Both superb but utterly different. On a sunny afternoon I use whichever I fancy and is probably about 50/50. It is good to have the choice.

The 1098 is nice but not 'special' in my opinion. The F4 is much better built and any F4 feels more exclusive. :f4:

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Once again...you are the only one contrary to magazines and journos saying that they are not making an R version...can you clear that up for me?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not Contrary at all!

As stated in other thread:

There have been a few articles in the UK bike press about the 1098. I would have to look through the magazines.

The interview re: Ducati Corse was in this weeks MotorCycle News.

Obviously Ducati are trying to have the rules changed re: 1200 cc and have said that unless it is agreed that they will cease SBK racing this year as they can not homologate the 1098 under current rules.

Unless required for homologation they are unlikely to produce a real 'R ' version.

Any future R version would have to be a 1200 cc engine presumably.

Ducati do not make motorcycles as a hobby. Unless they continue SBK racing they will most likely do an 'R' version a la the 999R i.e. an 'R' badge, Termi's and some Carbon bodywork. Very nice bike but not exactly an homologation special. The latest information I was given is that the decision on an 'R' model would happen later in the year and would depend on the SBK question.

No racing - No homologation R.

Renault put an F1 badge on the Megane. Don't expect to see it racing Fernando Alonso at Silverstone this year!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts