MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a Brutale 910s.
A few days ago I had to recharge the battery because it hadn't been ridden for a while. When I put the battery back in, I cant remember if I accidently brushed the positive lead against the negative terminal or vice versa. Anyway, as a result the 30A battery recharge fuse blew. I replaced it and problem was fixed.

Two days ago I went on a trip away and the battery light came on after about 200 km.
I stopped a few km down the road and checked the battery recharge fuse. It had completely melted!

I replaced the existing 30A fuse and it started without a problem and idled as per normal. Anyway, as I revved the throttle to go the fuse blew again!

So, I replaced the fuse and managed to limp (keeping her under 4000 rpm, figuring the alternator ws playing up) to a nearby auto electrician.
He put a multimeter on the alternator and it was charging between 14.6 and 15.1. I think the correct charging amount is 13.8...
He seems to think the regulator/rectifier has had it.

My Dad lives close by so I managed to get to his place and that is where my Brutale remains until I can sort the problem out.

I have never had this problem before and I was wondering if anyone out there had any advice for me??
Thanks

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Prepare for an epic rant from theknurl, but if I'm not mistaken the rectifier is internal to the alternator and is not available separately.

The alternator is $1200 new from the dealer. (This is where Noel enters stage left.) Your best bet is to find a used alternator. Should be around $300.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CAG! I thought that might be the case!!

Any hints on where to get a used one???

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm on my third alternator . If it's the rectifier you can replace it with a honda one , only difficulty is its a 2 wire not 3 wire . All depends on whether you wish to remain standard. I also find it is pretty easy to remove. Just a bit daunting removing the engine first time, but it is fairly simple really. Couple of hours to replace alternator third time around

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that.

I also realised that the battery recharge fuse in my Brutale is a 30A but in the manual it stipulates a 40A recharge fuse???
Would that be a reason it has blown a couple of times? ie not being able to put up with the charge from the alternator?

·
Registered
70 Posts
not sure with yours being an 06, but mine is a 40a fuse... i just replaced it after having hooked the battery up wrong :-(

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a rectifier assembly I ordered when I researched this issue for someone else, it looks identical to the unit in the MV, I can send pics later. I believe I posted the part number for it, I will look and update the post.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts