MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to me pristine F4 1000S with only 3400 miles seems to start, idle and run very well. However, when pushing it a bit hard it will die on the shift from 1st to 2nd at anything above 8K RPM. It will not restart until I pull over and fiddle with the kill switch a few times. Otherwise I get nothing. It was as if I bumped the kill switch during the shift. So, I cleaned the kill switch with some contact cleaner, but it still does it. No other odd behavior. What do I look at next?

·
Registered
862 Posts
That sounds quite odd, I wonder if the revs cause certain vibration at a point of poor contact?. Have you actually striped the kill switch in case the contact cleaner didn't cut through any muck/ corrosion? Possible problem with the cut out on the side stand switch? I'm guessing though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your guesses are better than mine. I hadn't thought about the sidestand switch. I will do a more thorough job on the kill switch. It's odd that it does not happen on acceleration, but only mid-shift. When I let out the clutch, the bike is dead. I expect it to restart based on compression, but it is killed dead. I haven't tried flicking the kill switch while still coasting.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I would contact the previous owner and raise the question. It might just be a minor glitch that has a simple resolution. Most previous owners would have no problem at all helping out the person who bought their bike.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My immediate thought is side stand switch. It’s also in the area of the shifter and could be a clunk or vibration nearby triggers it. I would try bypassing the switch and try to see if it still happens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for the helpful ideas. Will do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a possibility: It happened to my 2006 F4.... The battery has 3 leads coming from the negative Post (not just two) you may have the third lead that is grounding to frame and at times not grounding). Look carefully between frame and battery box......follow cable/ wires to make sure all three are attached. One of mine slipped down on left side out of sight. - mine had same symptoms as yours. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
What about the clutch switch?? -- Just a thought --

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
@Bill B: When this occurs, and you are stopped on the roadside, what happens when you push the start button?

Does the engine turn over? Or, nothing? Key on, does the fuel pump prime?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I pulled over after it died, initially I got nothing. No fuel pump. No starter. So, it was acting like I must have bumped the kill switch. But I don't think I really did. I flicked that a few times and I believe it took several cycles before the fuel pump ran and starter turned and it fired up. That is my recollection. That is why I cleaned the kill switch, even though there is no corrosion anywhere on this bike. Not a speck of dirt or any indication it was anything other than a garage queen before I bought it. I can't retest it at the moment due to a shoulder injury that is preventing me from riding. It may be I had to cycle the ignition too. My memory is faulty on this.

Also, I didn't know there is a CLUTCH SWITCH. I will look into that. I don't recall any problem other than dying when shifting up at about 8K RPM. I've only ridden the bike for 2 days and not rev'd it above 8K. Damn shoulder better heal soon.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
There is a very good electrical troubleshooting section in the factory manual for your bike. Do you have the manual?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I have the manuals. Battery is relatively new and tests Ok and has no trouble starting the bike and the bike has no electrical issues except dying during higher RPM upshifts. As soon as I can use my left arm again, I will be out in the garage troubleshooting. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
How are you with electrical troubleshooting diagrams like this:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts