MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, had a quick search but couldn't find anything resembling my current issue.

Had the bike running fine, and then as it ran low on fuel, began to misfire, and made no power. Understandable, right?

Quick tow, some fresh fuel in the tank, and figured it'd be happy days.

Wrong! Bike turns over, and even fires, but will not stay running. Charged the battery overnight, and tried again in the morning. Multimeter saw the charge jump to 14 while turning over, and firing, so presume the reg and alternator are still doing their job.

My next thought is maybe spark plugs fouled, but it does fire, and will run for 1-2 sec before cutting out. Tells me spark is fine.

Can't imagine TPS is off so quickly...

Internal combustion engine means it should be either air, fuel or spark, so that leaves me with maybe fuel delivery? Fouled fuel pickup? Kinked fuel hose? Blocked injectors? Vapour lock? Burnt out the Fuel pump?

Any ideas of things to check out would be appreciated before I pull the tank off and start troubleshooting further.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
look in the tank for bubbles with the ignition on, could be dislodged fuel line at pump maybe.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Clean the fuel pump,lines and change the filter. If it was low on fuel you.ve probably sucked up a load of crud from the bottom of the tank

·
Premium Member
13,695 Posts
When was the last time you changed the fuel filter and inspected the submerged lines inside the tank?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, confirms my suspicions.

Fuel pump was changed last year, and bike hasn't run much since then.

Presuming I've picked up a bad fuel batch.

Will let you know.

Thanks again!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
Alasdair;
does your fuel contain ethanol?

a new filter and submerged lines will put you right

:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Sounds like a blocked fuel filter or water in the fuel. Like Noel said and maybe check so see if your tank needs to be flushed out (crude, gelling, whatever), then new fuel.

Let us know if you sorted your problem :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts