MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Now I know this thread has been covered before, so please don't bite my head off. Recently I did some maintainece and parts replacement on my 05. I placed the radiator with a new one, some fins were bent on the original from normal wear/tear riding, I also replaced the air filter with a BMC filter, put on a set of RG3 and decat midpipe. Lastly replaced the stock eprom with a FBF eprom.

Now that all this is done when the bike is on and even in motion my temperature just keeps climbing. I started her up let her warm up for a few mins, then took her for a ride around the block doing about 45mph the whole time and my temp stayed at 219F. I'm not sure what might cause this. The bike ran perfectly before. Any suggestions would be helpful.

One thing I think it might be is the eprom or the coolant. Not sure though.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
I'd make sure I plugged the fans in correctly after the swap and that they are functioning correctly.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Fans should turn off when bike is off. I think your fans are confused. Can you elaborate?
Depending on the model, and what he means when saying he turned the bike off. If you turned it off at the "run" switch, on some models the fan's will keep going. If you turn the ignition off, then all should be dead.

Ok. I'll check. Another side note when I turn the bike off the fans come on and cool the bike down.
You have air in your system, read some more.
What do you mean when you say the fans come on when you turn the bike off, don't they run when the bike is running. :stickpoke

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nature of the beast that these bikes run hot.
With that said, I believe it is normal for the fans to remain on for a short while after walking away from the bike. Even my car does that sometimes. Your best options are probably in this order:
1. Microtec ECU (rumor has it that this will change when the fans turn on and one or two other tweaks that will make running temps lower)
2. Fan switch (so you can turn the fans on at any moment, i.e. traffic stop and go)
3. Engine Ice / Water Wetter
4. Upgraded pump
5. Upgraded fans for better flow
6. Ceramic coat exhaust
7. Vented fairings
8. Don't start the bike.

I've spent a chunk of change on trying to cool the bike, granted I live in south Texas. Either way it is what it is.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to make it clear, Donsy is correct its when I turn the bike off at the run switch. And I think I found the problem. First the fan didn't have a good connection and I noticed that the coolant was low. I filled it up with a gallon plus and the coolant reservoir was full, I guess when I put the bike under a load it circulated it and wasnt enough.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wow, yeah a gallon + of more coolant will do it.
When I change out coolant, I'll fill to the line, rock the bike back and forth while on it, start it up for a few seconds with the cap off, turn off and check the line for a refill. Repeat as necessary with a short ride in between.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Nature of the beast that these bikes run hot.
With that said, I believe it is normal for the fans to remain on for a short while after walking away from the bike. Even my car does that sometimes.

No MV does this.

Your best options are probably in this order:
1. Microtec ECU (rumor has it that this will change when the fans turn on and one or two other tweaks that will make running temps lower)

Not a rumour, fact.

2. Fan switch (so you can turn the fans on at any moment, i.e. traffic stop and go)

Great mod

I've spent a chunk of change on trying to cool the bike, granted I live in south Texas. Either way it is what it is.
I filled it up with a gallon plus and the coolant reservoir was full.
And now you overfilled it :)

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
I have an 05 as well, which is the only reason I opted to help.
I asked him to elaborate as I wanted to find out if he were using the switch or key to turn off. I use the key, as I think most others do as well. Looks like you have it under control here. Cheers.

Depending on the model, and what he means when saying he turned the bike off. If you turned it off at the "run" switch, on some models the fan's will keep going. If you turn the ignition off, then all should be dead.

You have air in your system, read some more.
What do you mean when you say the fans come on when you turn the bike off, don't they run when the bike is running. :stickpoke

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I have an 05 as well, which is the only reason I opted to help.
I asked him to elaborate as I wanted to find out if he were using the switch or key to turn off. I use the key, as I think most others do as well. Looks like you have it under control here. Cheers.
Did I do something wrong here Art ? You never mentioned key or run switch ?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Another side note when I turn the bike off the fans come on and cool the bike down.
In other words the fans were not on when the temperature was 104C with the engine running. ?

Let it idle and see what temp, if at all the fans kick in...

At least you'l then know if it is the coolant or eprom/temp sensor

Adam

·
Registered
14,489 Posts
I have a MicroTec.....my fans come on at 86C my bike will NOT GO OVER 92C period:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

stock water pump and regular coolant:drummer:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys I think it might be the coolant temp sensor. I filled the coolant up tonight ran her around block and the temp just jumps around. It goes up about 217 then back down then to 150 then up again it never stopped until I hit the kill switch and it just continued to go down after that.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Arn't there two sensors, one for the ecu and one for the dash?

In which case it will have nothing to do with your fault. - someone can check the electrical diagram ?

Why do you keep filling it up with coolant ?

Adam

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Vendor
5,330 Posts
Hey guys I think it might be the coolant temp sensor. I filled the coolant up tonight ran her around block and the temp just jumps around. It goes up about 217 then back down then to 150 then up again it never stopped until I hit the kill switch and it just continued to go down after that.
You can check if your instruments are reading correct by using an infared gun.Point it to top and bottom radiator hoses and get a true reading to see whats going on.

untitled.png

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Two sensors on the bike mate, for once have a look at the testing procedure in the workshop manuals, or do a bit of reading on the forum, this topic comes up all the time. Swap the plugs on the two sensors and see what you get.
I think you still have air in your system.
Some very conflicting info you keep giving us, can you tell us what the bike is doing now, properly, do the fans work at all with the bike running, at what temp do they come on ....etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts