MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just got stranded in a Burger king parking lot on my 2004 Brutale 750. I started my bike up, made it about 10 feet and all of a suddden it died, all my gauges went out and white smoke started billowing out from under my tank. I ripped the seat off and got the battery disconnected before it went up in flames . Does anyone have any idea what happened and what i am going to have to replace?

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
If it was an electrical fire, at worst the wire harness will have to be replaced. More information and some detailed pictures would help diagnose what might need replacing.

Welcome aboard, by the way.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
If it was an electrical fire, at worst the wire harness will have to be replaced. More information and some detailed pictures would help diagnose what might need replacing.

Welcome aboard, by the way.
+ 1

There are several "oracles" on this forum and CAG is one of them.

Might also be worth giving us a 'smell' perspective ;-)

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
Q_Brutale;

1st Welcome aboard the Forum....sorry about the circumstances!

like CAG said, post up some pictures. my vote is something around the starter solenoid.....
do you have a multimeter? we might need some numbers

Noel-theknurl

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the hospitality! I have been studying for finals so i hadn't had a chance to get the bike pulled apart until today. The problem is the fuse box which by reading other posts is called the SPU? It has a hole melted in the back and it left a nice scorch mark on the side of my gas tank. Luckily all of the wiring harnesses seem to have been below the meltdown and unaffected. Here are some Pics, is this the SPU and where is the best place to get a new one?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
either a dealer or vesuvio which is one of the forum sponsors. the blue backed ones were an issue, i just replaced mine

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
either a dealer or vesuvio which is one of the forum sponsors. the blue backed ones were an issue, i just replaced mine
unfortunately welcome to the infamous SPU club - yep its fried.

i used vesuvio who were great, the order part number is on the back of the fuse cover - use their OEM parts side to enter the code :)

Cheers

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
just go to vesuvio's website and ask them which to go w/, supply vin year model and they will point you in the right direction

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey all, sorry i didnt' log back on to tell you how everything went. So i took the SPU into Motocorsa in Portland (the dealer where i bought the bike) and gave it to their parts guy. I explained to him that it almost got me killed and that i wanted a new one even thought my bike was out of warranty. It took him about two weeks but he talked to MV and they agreed to replace the part free of charge as a act of good will. I had the new SPU in hand about 3 weeks later. So it took me about a month and a half to get going again but it did not cost me anything out of pocket.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Great Outcome

Glad to hear it all worked out :)

Great service by Motocorsa :smoking:

Now go rekindle your love for it :yo: :brutale:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Glad things worked out for you. I had a problem with mine but it was only the headlight would blink when the fan came on. Still drove me crazy when I would ride at night and be behind a car at a light. Then my headlight would blink and sometimes I'd get a look in there rear view like hey the light is still red asshole what is your rush. Since I live in a proud gun carrying state I thought it best to spend the $350.00 just in case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yeah i am nothing but happy with the customer service from both MV and Moto Corsa. I just wanted to make sure that anyone else with the same problem knows that it is possible to get the part for free instead of paying the $800-$1000 it costs to buy a new one. Also, about a month before the SPU went out my turn signals started acting weird so if your having that problem it might be a sign of things to come.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
You got the perfect result Q !! - well done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts