MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, the rear tire on the 04 750s Brut (Metzeler M3) is starting to wear out and I want to put something large in its place. Just curious if anyone knows which tire (sport or sport/touring) is the widest possible fitment for the rear wheel of 04 750 Brutale? Is 210 possible? Any comments appreciated. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
1. Why?
2. The limiter will be contact with the swingarm, not rim width (it's a 6" rim).
3. Stick with factory recommendations--Be aware that the tire will expand at speed, and what looks like it fits may not @ 100mph.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Hello, the rear tire on the 04 750s Brut (Metzeler M3) is starting to wear out and I want to put something large in its place. Just curious if anyone knows which tire (sport or sport/touring) is the widest possible fitment for the rear wheel of 04 750 Brutale? Is 210 possible? Any comments appreciated. Thanks!!!
I put a 200 on my 1078 look at my pics on the forum,rides fine,just be aware it slightly takes out the jerky feeling in the corners,as the 190 walls are more tappered.Works for me.
cheers eddy

:mouthwate

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the info, nice pixs eddy and nice bike! Why? I heard chicks digg large tires so I want to get the widest possible. What do you think would be the widest fit? Do you think pirelli diablo rosso II in 240/45/17 would be pushing it or is there room for even more? Lol Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Thanks for the info, nice pixs eddy and nice bike! Why? I heard chicks digg large tires so I want to get the widest possible. What do you think would be the widest fit? Do you think pirelli diablo rosso II in 240/45/17 would be pushing it or is there room for even more? Lol Thanks again
Silly boy, a 240 is not going to work, we run 200 with no problem. I would not go bigger than that for safety reasons.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Silly boy, a 240 is not going to work, we run 200 with no problem. I would not go bigger than that for safety reasons.
Oh ,I was wondering that also 240, I have not seen that done ,could be a first happening hear,I think 200 is probably the limit ,but if you want to try a 240 that would look pretty sick for visual apperance ,but could have some dangers associated with it,and really your rim size will be to small to take this tyre,you might end up touching the sides,?
I used the dunlop 200x50 roadsmart tyre ,brilliant tyre in wet or dry.rim size required is 6.0 or 6.5.,the grip is incredible on the roads.
If you can put a 240 on make sure you post some pics,and donsy you are correct,but what the hell still could be a first on mvagusta.net.
cheers eddy:stickpoke:brutale:

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
So what is wrong with your 180? it should give you plenty "flick-ability"

or 190 max

why do you want to go for a wider tyre than 180 /190

just curious

every day is a learning day

·
Registered
203 Posts
Take into account that the actual width of the tires on same rims varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, means. 200 mm is not always exactly 200, so take a tire that was already tested on Agusta.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Whaat ?

Take into account that the actual width of the tires on same rims varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, means. 200 mm is not always exactly 200, so take a tire that was already tested on Agusta.
You lost me here mate. Explain :wtf:

·
Registered
167 Posts
So what is wrong with your 180? it should give you plenty "flick-ability"

or 190 max

why do you want to go for a wider tyre than 180 /190

just curious

every day is a learning day

stock on that bike is 190 not 180. But yeah i agree, I cant see why someone would want to do this to an MV and destroy the performance of their bike.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You lost me here mate. Explain :wtf:
The last motorcycle (Aprilia), I had also Metzeler M3 (190) and everything was OK but then I then put the Michelin Pilot Road 2 and it occasionally touching the chain, after that put the Michelin Pilot Power and all OK again.
Some of my friends on the other bikes have had similar experiences, so we took a little discussion about it and came across some measurements that tires often deviate from the declared dimension.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Its not because the measurement is different as much as the change in the profile, measure the width across the profile not the cross section.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
+10

The last motorcycle (Aprilia), I had also Metzeler M3 (190) and everything was OK but then I then put the Michelin Pilot Road 2 and it occasionally touching the chain, after that put the Michelin Pilot Power and all OK again.
Some of my friends on the other bikes have had similar experiences, so we took a little discussion about it and came across some measurements that tires often deviate from the declared dimension.
Its not because the measurement is different as much as the change in the profile, measure the width across the profile not the cross section.
Miko, Ian is right. You can have a 200/55 or a 200/50 or even a 200/60 from Dunlop. What that means is the sidewall's on the tyre brings up 55% or 50% etc. from the running surface of the tyre. So a 200/55 will be a much bigger tyre than a 200/50, and that is before you take into account the dark witchcraft the tyre guys throw in there, or a 190/55 might be almost the same size as a 200/50. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It is completely understandable, but I'm talking about the experience with different tires on my own bike and all the same size 190/50-17 and without changing the chain tension, because it was OK.
Only Road2 touched the chain, why, how ... I do not know.

·
Registered
167 Posts
What we are trying to say is that diffrent manufactures will have diffrent profiles. The profile of a michelin is a triangular shape compared to the more round shape of a metzler. This contirbutes to them having a diffrent cross sectional width. 190mm will always be 190mm no matter who makes the tire but if change the shape you can make it narrower or wider and the surface area will always been the same.

The benafit to this is being able to change the amount of the contact patch at verious lean angles and tire pressures. it means however that yes your cross setional width can very from manufacturer to manufaturer so one brand may rub when another does not but they will both have the same surface area across the cross section.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do not take this bike to track, just twisties once a week. My cost benefit analysis is simple. The reduced performance (not able to lean as quickly) will be outweighted by wastly improved looks. Plus I like to customize my bikes. It seems that 210 should be no problem, but I want to try 240. Will speak to some tire installers and see what can they do. If possible, will post pics and analysis of performance. Cheers!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I do not take this bike to track, just twisties once a week. My cost benefit analysis is simple. The reduced performance (not able to lean as quickly) will be outweighted by wastly improved looks. Plus I like to customize my bikes. It seems that 210 should be no problem, but I want to try 240. Will speak to some tire installers and see what can they do. If possible, will post pics and analysis of performance. Cheers!
YOUR BIKE, do what ever appeals to you,I like the fat tyre,should look good,post pics when you do it.cheers eddy,

1 - 20 of 24 Posts