MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated above.
My Senna won't start with the kickstand down. The bike is in neutral when I try this and I have spotted that the neutral light goes out when I try starting her up.

It starts fine with the side stand up, but kills the engine as soon as I put it back down.

I have done a search but can't find the answer. I am certain Noel will find it though:mouthwate

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Dan..Check your neutral light switch it's under the engine..Check the connector it my be dirty or loose.

joe

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mine does that and always has done in the 9 years I have owned it.
On the first start I have to pull the clutch in as well as put the sidestand up.
Once it starts I can put the sidestand down again. It has on odd occasions cut out when I put the stand down.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Joe will check that in the morning.
Weather is going to be no good again!

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
senna666 and trickydicky;

Joe nailed it, its the neutral switch or its connection, the wire comes up the right rear of the motor

but check the operation of the side stand and clutch switches too(clutch switch connections aren't weather proof)

with the bike in neutral, disconnect the bullet connector and ground/put to earth the harness side...
key on bet you have a bright neutral light on the dash

probably starts with the stand down and not pulling the clutch too:drummer:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Having had another look this morning I have discovered that as I drop the side stand the light for this goes out as does the neutral light. If the bike is "off" the stand neutral is fine.

When disconnecting the bullet connector it shuts the bike down and displays no neutral light.

Typically I can't find where the neutral cable is so am stumped until I can locate this.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
neutral cable?

neutral cable;
its about impossible to trace it.....it is buried

the neutral switch is under a cover plate on the bottom of the motor at the right rear.....right above the midpipe/cat (Brutale owners with welded pipes/cats are screwed if the switch is bad)

the wire goes up the back of the motor on the right side....find the bullet connector....separate it and clean it
with the bike in neutral measure the wire to the switch for continuity to earth/ground with an Ohm meter

key on, now with a nail/short piece of wire earth/ground the other half of the connector.....you should have a nice bright neutral lamp on the dash:drummer:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that was a pain to get to. Have tried my best to clean it up. Going to leave the acf50 to do its magic on the rest of the bike then visit again tomorrow.

Hope it sorts it because I don't want to buy a new loom

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
neutral wire?

Dan;
i told you that wire is mission impossible :stickpoke

in neutral did you check the switch for continuity to earth?
and then the harness?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine does that and always has done in the 9 years I have owned it.
On the first start I have to pull the clutch in as well as put the sidestand up.
Once it starts I can put the sidestand down again. It has on odd occasions cut out when I put the stand down.
I had some weird shit where the neutral light showed but the sidestand light did not show, although throwing the stand down would kill the motor as expected, so the switch was working. Likr this the bike would start only with the stand up. No clutch required.
Anyway, I've replaced the neutral switch aiming to get it to work more consistently [do not need to dump oil BTW], and now I see the sidestand light as well, and it will start and run on the sidestand like it should Go figure....

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers Noel and Joe, went out this morning after putting everything back on.
Fired first time on the button, no new parts to be ordered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts