MVAgusta.net

MVAgusta.net (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/forum.php)
-   F4 - 2nd Gen. 2010+ (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/106-f4-2nd-gen-2010/)
-   -   2010 F4 - Dust in instrument panel - NEED HELP (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/106-f4-2nd-gen-2010/50896-2010-f4-dust-instrument-panel-need-help.html)

johnsjr5 01-24-2013 06:05 PM

2010 F4 - Dust in instrument panel - NEED HELP

3 Attachment(s)
Dear Forum...

I am tearing down my instrument panel for the second time in a year to clean a whitish-brownish dust that has collected in the bottom left and upper right side of the display. It's relatively easy to remove the panel from the bike and pop the PCP board and LCD screen out to clean. But...this is a pain to have to keep on doing. It seems to take a couple thousand miles for it to get bad again...but its back. I thought I would reach out to see if there is a known fix. Dealer says it's common and new panel wont fix. Says they have tried putting a bit of silicone around the outer edge of the PCB board (thinking I guess the board out-gasses this dust)??

I thought of conformal coating the entire PCB board front and back, but not sure this will fix. Is anyone else seen this and has "cured" it from happening again? Any help would be much appreciated.

Stegen 01-24-2013 06:37 PM

WTH. thats weird

fabric8 01-24-2013 07:00 PM

Had the dust problem with my 2010 also in the same lower left area as yours. Between that, my gas tank deforming and a couple of other annoying little issues it was time to move on to a better bike.

Donsy 01-24-2013 07:02 PM

Not weird, very common amongst the Y10 bikes. Some guys returned them to the dealers for warranty repair, I suggest the same.
Nothing wrong with having a go yourself though.

johnsjr5 01-24-2013 07:22 PM

I did have the tank swelling issue. I bought my bike used one year after original owner bought it. He never used ethanol-free fuel...or put the treatment in it, so I had dealer replace under warranty. Now...put pure fuel in it...no ethanol....no issues. My Aprilia has the same plastic type tank...thinking its common for Italian bikes. Still wouldn't sell this bike from the collection....I love it!!

Donsy - I'm definitely gonna have a go at this. I will document what I do and if my fix works, will pass along to all other 2010+ F4 owners. Still gonna wait a day or so to see if there is any good input on how to proceed.

Donsy 01-24-2013 07:37 PM

Cool John, have a look through this thread started by Jorge - http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45207

johnsjr5 01-24-2013 07:53 PM

Yeah...I've see that thread before...however folks got off on a tangent when thinking the dust was some sort of mold or mushrooms, at that point, all was lost for seriousness in understanding the issue. haha....

MV Arthur 01-24-2013 11:47 PM

125 Attachment(s)
John, I just pulled apart my 05 F4 dash for this same exact reason two days ago! It looks like vibration causes the screws that hold the dash together (and through the pcb board) to rub the hole in the pcb board. That's what the dust is I believe. I took some leftover Red Gard (liquid membrane for waterproofing) from my bathroom renovation and dabbed some into each of the 3 or 4 holes with a cotton swab. I was going to use silicone but it looked too thick for the job and I've been trying to use this stuff for something, anything. I'm sure anything you can find is good, as long as it doesn't conduct electricity. Hope this helps.

Attachment 68773
Attachment 68774
Attachment 68775

enkil 01-25-2013 12:03 AM

Good job !

johnsjr5 01-25-2013 10:32 AM

MV Arthur...thanks for the input. My display board is a bit different than what you are showing but I will evaluate this failure mode tonight. I ended up running a bead of high temp silicone on between the case and the LCD screen to "seal off" the display part of the screen to any environment around it. My thought is if I can't control the dust creation...I will make it such that it doesn't get on the display screen. On the MY10 instrument panel..there is something like 6-8 small screws that hold the back plate to the PCB/LCD panel. The screws do go thru the PCP board and attached to a center plastic support structure. I might put a dab of silicone or something in those holes before assembly per your advice. It sure can't hurt anything. Thanks for your help...