MVAgusta.net

MVAgusta.net (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/forum.php)
-   Customising and Performance Section (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/21-customising-performance-section/)
-   -   Making 'Hex' recesses... Technique '2' (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/21-customising-performance-section/48793-making-hex-recesses-technique-2-a.html)

BG Wells 09-29-2012 02:43 PM

Making 'Hex' recesses... Technique '2'

28 Attachment(s)
Ok so I showed how I make Hex recesses using a 'rotary broach' which I also showed being made. http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48542
This tool has it's limitations though...as 'broaching' anything above 5.5-6mm hex puts a lot of 'load' on the lead screw/ rack and head bearing of the reasonably small engineering lathe I have. Therefore I have developed a 2nd technique which is very effective (in fact I use this technique most!)..although it too has it's limitations (due to the opening capacity of the vice jaws).....in which case you could use a small 'press'.
It involves making 'broaches' in a similar way to the last but using sections (50mm) of 10 & 8mm allen keys. And some re-machined brass plumbing 'stop ends'..from your local hardware (home depot...B&Q..etc).
As before the 'broaches' are 'dished' ...machined and 'tapered' to achieve the 'end' being 3% larger than the required 'hex'...eg 5mm hex needs a 'broach' 5.15.......6mm hex needs a 6.15 broach.
A corresponding hole (again 3% larger) is bored into the work piece...then 'chamfered'.
The 'broach' with it's 'machined' plumbing fitting (removal tool) together with the 'workpiece' are then 'pressed' together in a sturdy vice. The end of the 'broach' is then held between the jaws of the vice and two spanners used in opposite directions on the 'brass removal tool' and the task is complete.
Below are some shots of the manufacture of this system..it's operation in creating an 8mm 'hex'...and my 'box of tricks' ..all home made for this process which I hope clarifies the process.
Oh, and Dick (racasey) it's not suitable for broaching in stainless steel..I tried it today.
Cheers for now
Brian.:)

quad-turbo 09-29-2012 05:23 PM

......and people say I'm a magician......beautiful work as always mate:mouthwate

BG Wells 09-30-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quad-turbo (Post 558357)
......and people say I'm a magician......beautiful work as always mate:mouthwate

Cheers Chris.... I'm not great with 'card tricks'...but I can make large chunks of metal 'disappear!':laughing: (a lot of them into the bin)
Thanks mate
Brian.

Donsy 09-30-2012 09:10 AM

I thought you said this one will be the simple method, great, now I'm more confused. Good job Brian. And Crutchlow almost got there !!!

BG Wells 09-30-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donsy (Post 558516)
I thought you said this one will be the simple method, great, now I'm more confused. Good job Brian. And Crutchlow almost got there !!!

Cheers mate!....If I can think of a 3rd way I'll make it the simple one!.
Glad you liked it...
Cheers Brian:).

oldbutspry 09-30-2012 03:44 PM

Wow, that's great! How long do the broaches last?

BG Wells 09-30-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldbutspry (Post 558582)
Wow, that's great! How long do the broaches last?

Thanks...,they hold up pretty good Spry..and it largely depends on the 'material' your'e broaching. As I mainly work in 'non-ferrous' metals they last well...and being cheap to buy the allen key sets are easily replaced:)
Good way of broaching eh??... Thought you'd like it.
Cheers
Brian.

oldbutspry 09-30-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BG Wells (Post 558606)
Thanks...,they hold up pretty good Spry..and it largely depends on the 'material' your'e broaching. As I mainly work in 'non-ferrous' metals they last well...and being cheap to buy the allen key sets are easily replaced:)
Good way of broaching eh??... Thought you'd like it.
Cheers
Brian.

Yeah, I'm actually quite tempted to try that. It looks a bit easier than the other machining you have posted about.

quad-turbo 09-30-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BG Wells (Post 558514)
Cheers Chris.... I'm not great with 'card tricks'...but I can make large chunks of metal 'disappear!':laughing: (a lot of them into the bin)
Thanks mate
Brian.

I'm not a magician either Brian but got the nickname 'Magic' from my pool/9 ball buddies :smoking:

Kreativ 10-04-2012 06:01 PM

this one i understand lol