MVAgusta.net

MVAgusta.net (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/forum.php)
-   F4 - 2nd Gen. 2010+ (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/106-f4-2nd-gen-2010/)
-   -   2010 F4 Fll LCD dash onto earlier F4/Brutale? (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/106-f4-2nd-gen-2010/47952-2010-f4-fll-lcd-dash-onto-earlier-f4-brutale.html)

JensonF4 08-18-2012 06:16 PM

2010 F4 Fll LCD dash onto earlier F4/Brutale?

Hi to everyone on forum!

Has anyone tried this mod? -fitting later Full LCD dash onto earlier model F4/Brutale 750/1000 bikes?

I need a full wiring schematic for a 2010 F4 to make comparisons for dash connections if anyone could help? or even a 2010 damaged wiring harness for the dash connection wiring?

I have a '02 F4 750 (Yellow faced tacho) and puchased a used 2010 F4 Full LCD dash, and I am happy to share info with all on here when I have a working retrofit solution!

I realise mine doesnt have the Traction Control etc. that later model has, but looking to achieve at least all functionality of my original dash on new one, Speedo/Tacho/Odometer/idiot lights, Oh and the cool blue backlight and F4 Logo on switch on!!
I am looking to achieve this without butchering wiring loom and making mods neat and reversable if necessary. I would of course share all info to wiring mods where required and dash mountings with pics when I have a working conversion! Any info/help welcome!

Regards

JensonF4

Regards, Jenson F4

theknurl 08-19-2012 12:50 PM

why?

Jenson;

why? you'd lose the clock, temp gauge and probably get stuck in a CAN BUS hell:stickpoke

zerias 08-19-2012 01:11 PM

Hi Jenson.... i tried the oposite.... take the new dash from my F4 RR... and put old model.....
my dealer told me that is not possible to do it.....

MV-Woodster 08-19-2012 02:45 PM

Well I can imagine this just will not work as wiring would be completely different even down to connectors as not made by same source as the pre 2010 bikes if u want the whole digital dash go aftermarket and contact Translogic see if u can convince the to try fit one I tried last year they wernt to keen to even give it ago

But hay good luck fella be I retesting to see results of any

mikef4uk 08-19-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theknurl (Post 548774)
Jenson;

why? you'd lose the clock, temp gauge and probably get stuck in a CAN BUS hell:stickpoke

Steve has pieces of tape stuck all over the rev counter as he can see the lcd going up but can't tell what the numbers are :jsm:

JensonF4 08-19-2012 06:36 PM

Hello again and thanks all for replies!

I have picked up lots of usefull tips from you guys on forums, so THANKS to all!

I prefer the 'classic' shape F4 (especially the 312R and 1078) BUT I did like the new style clocks on the latest F4. I have allready got the 'carbon-rash' on my 750, and done the sensible 'mods' as recommended on here; swapped eprom, side stand link, lower rad support brace, manual fan switch and liked the mod with gear indicator into face of tacho, but I was going to get a second set of used clocks to keep my original yellow faced one. I came accross the 2010 clocks and figured I give it a try? Worse case, it don't work and I have an 'extra' male/female multipole connector in my wiring loom and keep my std clocks!

I like a challenge with the wiring! (work creeping into playtime) Where theres a will theres a way - with a bit of time comparing wiring diagrams!
I noticed that the clock connectors are differrent allready, the Pre 2010has a 20 pin connector (2x rows of 10), the post 2010 has 16 pin (2x rows of 8) -which just happens to be the same connector as most modern Triumph's, Some Suzuki GSX R and Early Yamaha R6 (all have VERY similar TACHO/ LCD Speedo/temp guage and idiot light set up), so I can souce a 'donor' to match the connector on the clocks easily enough for a 'factory look' adaptor.
I have done one clockset conversion for a friend with a Hayabusa and successfully spliced a GSX R 600 digital speedo onto the Hayabusa loom, all working corrrectly with exception of low fuel warning light (as 'Busa had a fuel guage and tank sender). So thought I might have a go on my own bike for something slightly differrent....

The one thing I AM struggling to find is a wiring schematic for the 2010 onward F4. So, if anyone on here could help and has one they could scan or send as a PDF for me to compare against that would be a great help.

Thanks everyone for taking time to post replies!

JensonF4

DLO01 08-19-2012 10:44 PM

I am sure it can be done. We do it on our old Honda cars with new digital clusters out of newer models.

X81 08-20-2012 02:04 AM

The new dash communicates wih the ECU via CAN BUS. It controls the traction control etc so i doubt you'll get either working on the wrong model bike.

You would possibly stand a greater chance of getting the old one working on the new bike but you woul dlose all your things controlled by the Dash. Doing it the other way round will not be so easy i think.

:)

cleophus james 08-20-2012 01:22 PM

You are in for a world of pain. There is an entire intermediate layer of sensors that are not going to signal the same way that the old ones did and you have no software to interpret it.

Unless you are an embedded systems and or EE you are going to have a near impossible task of extremely questionable value.

theknurl 08-21-2012 12:42 AM

?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleophus james (Post 548993)
You are in for a world of pain. There is an entire intermediate layer of sensors that are not going to signal the same way that the old ones did and you have no software to interpret it.

Unless you are an embedded systems engineer and or EE you are going to have a near impossible task of extremely questionable value.

+100:drummer: