MVAgusta.net

MVAgusta.net (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/forum.php)
-   Turismo Veloce (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/74-turismo-veloce/)
-   -   Reliable? (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/74-turismo-veloce/242863-reliable.html)

Angloman 06-19-2019 02:29 PM

Reliable?

Hello all. I've introduced myself elsewhere on the forum, so I won't blather on so much about me.
I'm interested in a 2015 Veloce with about 7,000 miles on the clock that I've seen online at a local dealer.
I need a bike with cruise control (right hand cramps + tennis elbows) and the quick shifter & blipper would no doubt save my left hand from some hurt too.
Also, I really like the look and exclusivity of the Veloce.
My current bike is a 2011 Triumph Tiger 800xc, which is an excellent bike but just too tall (and I'm 5' 11"), and a bit top heavy. I'm 65 years old and have started to fret about the Tiger tipping over.
I work on my own bikes; I am a service engineer (soon to retire): I have the skills: I have the tools.
I've owned two Italian bikes: A Ducati 907ie which was a cracking ride, but had a too extreme riding position for me, and the electrics were sometimes a challenge. I also had a new Moto Guzzi Breva 1200, which was a total disappointment; it kept on letting me down.
The Triumph has been rock solid, if a bit uninspiring.
Given the above, my biggest concern about the Veloce is reliability. I don't mind fixing faults on machines; I have done that for 50 years, but I can't be bothered with machines that won't stay fixed i.e. because the initial design is weak.
I would be interested to hear of owner's experiences and opinions regarding early model Turismo Veloce reliability and faults - I can't afford a new one. :|

Black_Gold_Saw 06-19-2019 02:37 PM

Here's an 50.000km test article: https://translate.google.com/transla...ernuechtert%2F

I've translated the page from German to English. Hope it works.

esq'z me 06-19-2019 05:34 PM

MV Agusta motorcycles are actually very reliable bikes, given proper maintenance. You will hear of failures on this forum, because that is what you get on any internet forum, but the majority of owners never tell about their trouble free bikes.

falcn 06-19-2019 08:15 PM

About the only thing that really comes to mind lately is the cush hub dampers needing to be replaced very often.

Fastspy 06-19-2019 08:29 PM

Find out if the seller will provide all TSB or service recalls completed on the bike. Most of the issues are resolved if these have been completed.

MvAgusta

Arcimboldo 06-20-2019 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angloman (Post 2583077)
...The Triumph has been rock solid, if a bit uninspiring....

The 2015 Turismo is rock solid AND a pleasure to drive.

Did only 21 000 mi in 18 months on the Turislow
so more experienced users might have found issues I haven't.

Quote:

I would be interested to hear of owner's experiences and opinions regarding early model Turismo Veloce reliability and faults - I can't afford a new one. :|
I replaced cush drive rubber and maintenance parts at scheduled intervals never had a glitch.

Bought the bike new in 2017 so the original battery was dead trash from day one.

The fuel gauge died around 6 000 mi and got replaced with another found in Sedona (AZ)
Warranty job but the part wasn't in stock, the dealer did the job for free.

I let the clutch switch go real bad and lost all clutch fluid but the turismo rode home OK with no clutch lever!
Took almost an hour to fix Q&D and six weeks for MV to cough up a new switch.

3 LED of rear left blinker died.
The expensive unit was replaced on warranty.
Forgot to punch a hole at the bottom of the new unit.
First rain new blinker failed, half full of water.
Punched the hole, drained the blinker fluid and that was all.

The Turislow is fun to ride.
Good for some serious miles.
Slow it is.
Heaviest and the least powerful of the trepistoni family

but VERY sturdy and well designed.

Evidently proper care and maintenance will help a lot keeping it that way.

Scheduled maintenance was the only time at the shop.
And cost practically nothing or less.

Bonus
the Turislow can go a lot farther on a tank than her trepistoni sisters!

Fun economy and durable, what's not to like on this bike?

lucydad 06-20-2019 08:21 AM

I love to see other older guys on MVs... give it a try

Figifister 08-11-2019 05:54 PM

They have their quirks, and it's no honda. Cant speak strongly in the affirmative but they aren't inheretly unreliable. Think....your buying a Lamborghini. Literally. And if your ok with the added expense in parts and complexity over (to keep it consistent) a honda, then go for it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Terrys409 08-12-2019 10:16 AM

I rented a BMW GS 750 for a ride a from LA to Oregon a few weeks ago. I told my son," I do not think this bike even knows I am riding it or its running." It was so low key and I missed my MV. Few other bikes have character, like you were speaking of the Triumph.

Reliable? Yes. I have not been stranded after 19k miles.