MVAgusta.net

MVAgusta.net (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/forum.php)
-   Maintenance & Tech. Issues (3 Cyl. Models) (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/129-maintenance-tech-issues-3-cyl-models/)
-   -   Chain Noise on 675 f3 (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/129-maintenance-tech-issues-3-cyl-models/241937-chain-noise-675-f3.html)

draz 04-25-2019 12:51 PM

Chain Noise on 675 f3

Hey guys,

Not sure if anyone has come across this before but my chain is making a lot of noise when you get off the throttle and back on. It really slaps up and down abruptly. I checked the chain slack which is spot on-is there another part that could be causing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I reside in Qatar and the main dealer is no more, its just a subsidiary of Harley Davidson.

Cheers

PTsalas 04-25-2019 12:57 PM

Assuming that you are not ham fisting the throttle which will obviously make some noise as abrupt changes will put quite a bit of stress on the chain.

How are the cush drive rubbers on the rear sprocket hub?

How many km on the drive chain? I replaced mine at 12000km as it started having tight spots. Is your chain slack consistent throughout a full wheel revolution?

dansoarr 04-25-2019 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTsalas (Post 2571427)
How are the cush drive rubbers on the rear sprocket hub?

gets my vote

draz 04-27-2019 12:11 PM

I have not taken anything apart as I rely on my mechanic but his knowledge with Mv's is limited. I wouldn't say I was ham fisted, I noticed the noise when moving the bike in the car park (I normally ride with ear plugs in). I have not had the bike very long, might not be a bad idea to get a new chain and cush drive rubbers, I'm only in the country for another week. I do not have a paddock stand to check the chain condition while rotating. I would say the rubbers might take a bit of beating with heat in Qatar.

PTsalas 04-28-2019 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draz (Post 2571835)
I have not taken anything apart as I rely on my mechanic but his knowledge with Mv's is limited. I wouldn't say I was ham fisted, I noticed the noise when moving the bike in the car park (I normally ride with ear plugs in). I have not had the bike very long, might not be a bad idea to get a new chain and cush drive rubbers, I'm only in the country for another week. I do not have a paddock stand to check the chain condition while rotating. I would say the rubbers might take a bit of beating with heat in Qatar.

Thanks for the update, I recon your problems are as follows:

1. Usually ride with earplugs - this bike is mechanically noisy as is, earplugs hide a lot of that noise which you may find strange after going for a ride without them.

2. Parking lot - slowish parking lot speeds speeds tend to amplify chain rattle as there is some on-off throttle happening. Also some lugging of the engine could also be happening as most bikes have a tall 1st gear.

3. No paddock stand - you will probably only notice worn cush drive rubbers or a worn chain having the bike on a paddock stand.

With that said, items 1 and 2 listed above are probably your culprits here and there is a good chance your bike is 100% fine. The mind is a powerful thing and once you notice something, its very difficult to un-notice.

You can confirm if there is a real issue by putting it on a paddock stand and testing for chain tight spots by measuring the slack along a full wheel revolution.

The cush drive you can check by turning the rear wheel a few degrees back and forth and noticing for any play at the sprocket before the chain starts to turn. This is most easily accomplished on a paddock stand, but you can check with a friend on the bike holding it straight and pushing it back and forth.

esq'z me 04-28-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTsalas (Post 2571959)
The cush drive you can check by turning the rear wheel a few degrees back and forth and noticing for any play at the sprocket before the chain starts to turn. This is most easily accomplished on a paddock stand, but you can check with a friend on the bike holding it straight and pushing it back and forth.

You can also grab the sprocket with your hand and try to rotate it back and forth...if the cush drive rubbers are perished you will feel movement. Wear a glove so you don't get a greasy hand. :idea:

draz 05-01-2019 08:47 AM

Thanks fro your help, will replace the cush drive rubbers and see what happens.