MVAgusta.net

MVAgusta.net (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/forum.php)
-   Maintenance & Tech. Issues (All 4 Cyl. Models) (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/20-maintenance-tech-issues-all-4-cyl-models/)
-   -   Worried about all the issues to look out for! (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/20-maintenance-tech-issues-all-4-cyl-models/241499-worried-about-all-issues-look-out.html)

HAPPI 03-23-2019 04:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hey all, I am new to the forum and MV's and own a 2018 F4.
I have been doing a lot of reading on here over the past few days and am starting to feel that these bikes are a ticking time bomb! Rear hubs, electrical issues, fueling issue, exhaust valve issue, well nuts in air box... Arrrrrggggghhhhhh!

I am reaching out to all the MV old timers and asking if possible could you please make a list of all known common issues I should be aware of and or replacement parts, I have no problem with spending money to stop catastrophic failure and look after my own safety.

Maybe I have just scared myself silly with all the reading but now I am very cautious about actually riding this beautiful machine.....

silentservice703 03-23-2019 04:42 PM

Buy nothing. Ride the bike and enjoy it. :f4::f4::f4:

The issues you list must be taken in context and none of them apply to the 2018 bikes or the four cylinder bikes. :baddeal:

You must know WHAT you are reading......:banghead::banghead::banghead:

The forums are there for people who have problems....not the thousands and thousands who do not. :stir:

Perform your maintenance to the schedule and the bike will be a great joy for a hundred thousand miles or more. :shocker::nerd::smoking:

dansoarr 03-23-2019 05:01 PM

I've a 2015 F4 in the best colour available (White :grin2::grin2:)

As @silentservice703 says, those issues are not with the current generation. Don't get me wrong there can always be issues, as there are with all machines, but mine has in general been rock solid.

As with all bikes, get the manuals (available https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/20-ma...-4-cyl-models/, check out the sticky's), familiarise your self with the in's and outs of the bike and finally don't skimp on oil changes. Oh and have a smug grin when you spot the common Red and Silver versions :wink2:

HAPPI 03-23-2019 05:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by silentservice703 (Post 2565345)
Buy nothing. Ride the bike and enjoy it.
title="F4" class="inlineimg" />

The issues you list must be taken in context and none of them apply to the 2018 bikes or the four cylinder bikes.

You must know WHAT you are reading......

The forums are there for people who have problems....not the thousands and thousands who do not.

Perform your maintenance to the schedule and the bike will be a great joy for a hundred thousand miles or more.

Lol, thanks mate.😀

I wasn't sure as to which years were affected by these problems. I was looking in the 2010+ section, I am very strict with my maintenance and servicing schedules on all my bikes and cars. I have owned a couple of Ducatis. My 2000 748R was amazing but definitely needed more love than other bikes I've owned.

I am not new to the bike game, nor am I adverse to the special needs that Italian bikes need, the added charm of roadside mechanical engineering has taught me a few tricks and patience over the years.

I was more just trying to avoid the pitfalls of known common issues that can arise and also be avoided where possible.
Prevention is always better than cure, and I guess that's definitely one of the great things about forums we can all learn about the "bad things" without having to find out for ourselves.
I definitely agree that there is always way more negative feedback than good over the Web.

I appreciate your input and hopefully I don't have any problems with the above mentioned. Glad to have a place like this to be able to discuss my thoughts. 😀

HAPPI 03-23-2019 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dansoarr (Post 2565347)
I've a 2015 F4 in the best colour available (White [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/images/MVagusta_net_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/images/MVagusta_net_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG])

As @silentservice703 says, those issues are not with the current generation. Don't get me wrong there can always be issues, as there are with all machines, but mine has in general been rock solid.

As with all bikes, get the manuals (available https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/20-ma...-4-cyl-models/, check out the sticky's), familiarise your self with the in's and outs of the bike and finally don't skimp on oil changes. Oh and have a smug grin when you spot the common Red and Silver versions [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/images/MVagusta_net_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]

Yes! Totally agree... White is the best..

Oil is always done every 5000km on my bikes and cars. No issues with that, glad to hear you haven't had any problems so far. It's eased my concerns somewhat.😀

Rob Caso 03-23-2019 05:28 PM

Quote:

Buy nothing. Ride the bike and enjoy it. :f4::f4::f4:

The issues you list must be taken in context and none of them apply to the 2018 bikes or the four cylinder bikes. :baddeal:

You must know WHAT you are reading......:banghead::banghead::banghead:

The forums are there for people who have problems....not the thousands and thousands who do not. :stir:

Perform your maintenance to the schedule and the bike will be a great joy for a hundred thousand miles or more. :shocker::nerd::smoking:

I agree. There are no moving parts in a pencil, but you still have to sharpen it once in awhile. And it's not nearly as fast. The worse thing you can do is to let it sit, like I do, and then the stuff breaks anyway, all by itself. Ride it and do the maintenance.

allanl 03-23-2019 07:26 PM

Also have 27.000 km here on a 2012 R, no issues at all.

Most of what you listed above were only reported here on the previous model.

Only thing from your list I have seen reports on the newer is the exhaust valve...

So I would just enjoy the bike [emoji2]

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

HAPPI 03-23-2019 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allanl (Post 2565383)
Also have 27.000 km here on a 2012 R, no issues at all.

Most of what you listed above were only reported here on the previous model.

Only thing from your list I have seen reports on the newer is the exhaust valve...

So I would just enjoy the bike [emoji2]

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Ok cool, thanks for your input. 😀

HAPPI 03-23-2019 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Caso (Post 2565359)
Quote:

Buy nothing. Ride the bike and enjoy it.

The issues you list must be taken in context and none of them apply to the 2018 bikes or the four cylinder bikes.

You must know WHAT you are reading......

The forums are there for people who have problems....not the thousands and thousands who do not.

Perform your maintenance to the schedule and the bike will be a great joy for a hundred thousand miles or more.

I agree. There are no moving parts in a pencil, but you still have to sharpen it once in awhile. And it's not nearly as fast. The worse thing you can do is to let it sit, like I do, and then the stuff breaks anyway, all by itself. Ride it and do the maintenance.

Thanks mate, yeah I certainly do enjoy my bikes, and being in Australia we are lucky enough to be able to ride all year round.

I always make sure they get a ride at least once a fortnight or so and always maintained to the highest possible standard, Thanks for the reply. 😀

Rob Caso 03-23-2019 11:27 PM

The absolute worst environment for a bike, or any mechanical thing for that matter, is one where the temperature and humidity vary widely. A bike in a cold garage that is suddenly exposed to warm air and higher humidity accumulates condensate both inside and out and this is responsible for a lot of damage and/or problems. Combine this with something that is not run or maintained/looked after and it quickly turns into an expensive disaster. I'm just exiting another miserable winter here in the NE US and I spend a lot of time protecting the stuff and is a significant reason I installed an insulated steel pole bldg having a heated concrete slab. Put the thermo on 55 and you can wear a T-shirt.

A bike that is ridden is doing what it is meant to do and, even though the miles accumulate, we can generally assume that such a machine is at least subject to some maintenance and a ground crew walk around before a ride, esp one of MV's caliber.