MVAgusta.net

MVAgusta.net (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/forum.php)
-   Maintenance & Tech. Issues (All 4 Cyl. Models) (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/20-maintenance-tech-issues-all-4-cyl-models/)
-   -   Seized rear F4 Hub- advice please (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/20-maintenance-tech-issues-all-4-cyl-models/241345-seized-rear-f4-hub-advice-please.html)

Chilblane 03-13-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silentservice703 (Post 2563689)
It is unlikely, due to construction characteristics, that the hub is cocked in the swingarm unless something is seriously wrong.

Now, as for your torquing process: Do torque in small steps following the 1-2-1 protocol?

Hi, Yes should have added that, I wound the bolts in 1/4 turn at a time alternatively

Chilblane 03-13-2019 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esq'z me (Post 2563691)
Take the hub out. It is a machined cylinder in a machined bore (swing arm) and it should be impossible to have it anything but square. Regardless of your observation of the pinch area gap.

Take the pinch bolts out completely. Stick a wedge in (plastic or wood won't damage the swing arm) and spread that gap. Knock the hub out with a block of hard wood and a heavy hammer. (I had to do that the first time I serviced my rear hub)

It is not rocket science. Pretty basic stuff. The parts (other than the angular bearing) are pretty robust.

Hi Thank you, but of course the uneven gap surrounding the hub to swing arm makes it look as though it is not square. I don't know if the front face of the swing arm bore is out of square, are they cast?

esq'z me 03-13-2019 11:01 AM

The bore is machined....quit worrying about that...take the hub out and have a look.

Rear hub problems are NOT a rampant certain to fail thing. More people (who do proper maintenance) have never had a problem than people who have..... and in 2010 the factory made changes to address the weak area.

You have let a thread about hub failures create an unrealistic fear.

Granted, your inability to rotate the hub in the swing arm is not normal, but I will wager there is a very simple explanation that will be revealed once you pull the hub out.

Chilblane 03-13-2019 11:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by esq'z me (Post 2563707)
The bore is machined....quit worrying about that...take the hub out and have a look.

Rear hub problems are NOT a rampant certain to fail thing. More people (who do proper maintenance) have never had a problem than people who have..... and in 2010 the factory made changes to address the weak area.

You have let a thread about hub failures create an unrealistic fear.

Granted, your inability to rotate the hub in the swing arm is not normal, but I will wager there is a very simple explanation that will be revealed once you pull the hub out.

Hi esq'z me,

Your quite right I am bit of a worry guts, like you getting on a bit and may not be around too long, so ride time is precious:smile2:

However I have delay for getting on with the hub for longer straps to arrive to lift her up, so I thought I would remove the front sprocket to alter the gearing I had planned to do late last year. Anyway removed the front sprocket OK and notice that there is uneven wear on each side and for only 1800 miles I thought that amount is quite excessive. Another indication that the drive is a little skewed maybe?

esq'z me 03-13-2019 04:58 PM

I think maybe someone has mis-assembled the hub on installation. That wear does indicate mis-alignment. What does the rear sprocket look like?

Chilblane 03-13-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esq'z me (Post 2563743)
I think maybe someone has mis-assembled the hub on installation. That wear does indicate mis-alignment. What does the rear sprocket look like?

The right hand side seems worse, which fits with the front sprocket, and the out of square (if so) going off to the right

Chilblane 03-13-2019 05:48 PM

Just wondering if I should do nothing further and see if there is any possibility of MV honouring a warranty claim, the warranty expired last July.

silentservice703 03-13-2019 06:02 PM

Were it me, I would document with pictures and get the hub out to see the condition of the swingarm hub bore.

Chilblane 03-13-2019 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silentservice703 (Post 2563773)
Were it me, I would document with pictures and get the hub out to see the condition of the swingarm hub bore.

Yes I will do that anyway (document pictures) but in the worst case scenario a swing arm bored off 90 degrees, thats an expensive lump. I rather doubt that is the case as the hub definitely does not look straight or measure so relative to the swinging arm, so hopefully just a new hub and drive!

phunkinit 03-14-2019 09:12 PM

Reminds me of a Jap bike with same issue.

It al came down to incorrect placing of the ertalon chain slider/guide.
Same wear on the sprockets and abnormal tension on the rear wheel hub

The chain guide was pushing the chain to the right, while the alligning was fighting to get back to the left

Take good look at the chain slider, abnormal wear could point you in the right direction.