MVAgusta.net

MVAgusta.net (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/forum.php)
-   Maintenance & Tech. Issues (All 4 Cyl. Models) (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/20-maintenance-tech-issues-all-4-cyl-models/)
-   -   Seized rear F4 Hub- advice please (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/20-maintenance-tech-issues-all-4-cyl-models/241345-seized-rear-f4-hub-advice-please.html)

Chilblane 03-11-2019 04:13 AM

Seized rear F4 Hub- advice please

After approx 1800 miles from new, the chain could do with slight adjustment. No matter what I do with the "C" hook tool with extension bar the serrated ring refuses to budge, and with the bolts removed. I don't really want to resort to a chisel and hammer for fear of damage, just wondering if anyone has tried a release agent. There used to be a something called "plus gas" available in the UK that was used to free up corroded threads etc, I don't if this would help, any ideas much appreciated.

theknurl 03-11-2019 05:50 AM

?

Chilblane;
A 50/50 mixture of ATF (automatic transmission fluid) and acetone is the best penetrant ......
That said, put 2 putty knives in the slot in the swing arm, then a large screwdriver between them....
TAP VERY GENTLY ON THE SCREWDRIVER, DON'T HIT THE HUB!!!
YOU ONLY NEED TO EXPAND THE SWING ARM A FEW THOUSANDS OF AN INCH:wink2:

silentservice703 03-11-2019 06:00 AM

As Noel has eluded: use a very small wedge in the swingarm slot and protect the adjacent surfaces.

Chilblane 03-11-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silentservice703 (Post 2563301)
As Noel has eluded: use a very small wedge in the swingarm slot and protect the adjacent surfaces.

Thank you SS703, and Noel

I forgot had some tree workers wedges in hard nylon, tried these with duck tape covered brass angle and still no luck, will try and soak it over night with Noel's liquor recipe.

mitchy 03-11-2019 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You really need to remove the hub and clean/lubricate the outer surface of the hub and the swingarm where the hub sits with anti-sieze.
I would also service the hub while it is out.Seems like you are dealing with a bit of corrosion there.
You don't want your hub to look like this-

Attachment 459473

theknurl 03-11-2019 11:53 PM

?

Chilblane;
Not my recipe......it came from the guys on the North Sea oil platforms and was posted on the now defunct MVAgustaUK Forum

Mitch;
I still have that hub......that a mechanic would do that pisses me off......need to weld it up and refinish it

Chilblane 03-12-2019 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchy (Post 2563379)
You really need to remove the hub and clean/lubricate the outer surface of the hub and the swingarm where the hub sits with anti-sieze.
I would also service the hub while it is out.Seems like you are dealing with a bit of corrosion there.
You don't want your hub to look like this-

Attachment 459473

Mitchy, I have been reading your hub thread with great interest and alarm, as a fairly newcomer to MV I was not aware of the hub problem. If my hub is damaged at a total bike mileage of 1800 (dry miles) I think I will opt for one of yours instead of the OEM. Without going through the 75 pages of your hub article could you please advise where they can be sourced in the UK.
Thankyou

silentservice703 03-12-2019 06:21 AM

@Chilblane: Since your bike appears to be a 2016, the initial hub issues have been sorted out with a redesign. Not to queer a deal for Mitchy's excellent hub...which doe s work in your bike...but , rather to set your mind at ease.

The first gen hubs had major issues if people didn't maintain the hub.

mitchy 03-12-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilblane (Post 2563463)
Mitchy, I have been reading your hub thread with great interest and alarm, as a fairly newcomer to MV I was not aware of the hub problem. If my hub is damaged at a total bike mileage of 1800 (dry miles) I think I will opt for one of yours instead of the OEM. Without going through the 75 pages of your hub article could you please advise where they can be sourced in the UK.
Thankyou

You can purchase my hubs in the UK from forum member "gotojoe" Joe has stock and lives in Ireland.:wink2:

Chilblane 03-12-2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchy (Post 2563557)
You can purchase my hubs in the UK from forum member "gotojoe" Joe has stock and lives in Ireland.:wink2:

Thank you, I will contact him. Apologies for the post in your hub section "sale enquiry" I did not notice the Design Corse company has an active thread on this site until 30 seconds after I sent you the enquiry