MVAgusta.net

MVAgusta.net (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/forum.php)
-   Events, Rides, Group Rides, and Meets (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/24-events-rides-group-rides-meets/)
-   -   AU/NZ heaps! US not so much? (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/24-events-rides-group-rides-meets/241289-au-nz-heaps-us-not-so-much.html)

greminn 03-06-2019 02:07 AM

AU/NZ heaps! US not so much?

Hi All,

I find that in AU/NZ there are many (MANY) more people than in the US who are keen to engage in MV events. I know the US is a large country, but so is AU - actually you can fit AU over the US pretty much bang on :) But the US is 300 million plus, whereas AU/NZ is 30 million plus - you would think 10 times the interest, but it seems almost the opposite sometimes. For example Last year at Phillip Island we had 40 plus owners for our event, then later in the year at Laguna Seca, 25 AMAZING PEOPLE :) (5 of those where from AU/NZ).

And now we come to the return of MV to Grand Prix racing in 42 years. At COTA its the first time our beloved brand has formally raced in the US for more than that time. And later in the year, Phillip Island. We have had a large about of interest in each event.. but the Phillip Island event has almost 3 times the amount of people putting their hands up.

Why is this? I would love your thoughts, feedback or comments.

What type of events do YOU want?

Simon

nigelrb 03-06-2019 02:52 AM

Very interesting, and surprising stats.

With absolutely no intent to offend, I wonder if the USA is more of a 'throw away' society, so that in the main, owners of bikes/cars or any 'hobby-related' item might not develop as much 'emotional' ownership to their bikes as those in Aus/NZ.

Further, the OZ backbone of 'mateship' (more so than NZ) might well foster greater camaraderie between owners, and therefore flow on to attending events, than might occur in USA.

Contradicting this is this very forum's 'Gapalicious' thread which seems to attract MV enthusiasts USA wide. Therefore, is it the type of event that is not patronised rather than owners' enthusiasm? Supporting that, I also note the recent thread inviting UK Midlands owners on a ride out has been very well patronised.

This is merely a 'throwing it out there' thought, because it does conflict with the ideals of dedicated owners on this board - which realistically might represent a very small percentage of ownership.

greminn 03-06-2019 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigelrb (Post 2562441)
Very interesting, and surprising stats.

With absolutely no intent to offend, I wonder if the USA is more of a 'throw away' society, so that in the main, owners of bikes/cars or any 'hobby-related' item might not develop as much 'emotional' ownership to their bikes as those in Aus/NZ.

Further, the OZ backbone of 'mateship' (more so than NZ) might well foster greater camaraderie between owners, and therefore flow on to attending events, than might occur in USA.

Contradicting this is this very forum's 'Gapalicious' thread which seems to attract MV enthusiasts USA wide. Therefore, is it the type of event that is not patronised rather than owners' enthusiasm? Supporting that, I also note the recent thread inviting UK Midlands owners on a ride out has been very well patronised.

This is merely a 'throwing it out there' thought, because it does conflict with the ideals of dedicated owners on this board - which realistically might represent a very small percentage of ownership.

Yes - i think the AU/NZ mateship is something special we have (like you, not intending to offend). However, the US owners who have been to these "official" events have been very much of the same frame of mind.

PS: Gapalicious is an amazing event and i SOOOO want to get to it!!!!

It just seems that "official" MV events in the US don't seem to get the same patronage. Again I ask why is this - to the US forum members? I really value everyone's input.

esq'z me 03-06-2019 07:15 AM

Well....I can say that the cost of admission to the COTA event is somewhat dear....and travel costs added in.

Compared to a VIP hospitality package it is not much more and worth it (in my opinion).....but a premium regular seat is only $199.

I know some MV owners who opted out of Laguna Seca WSBK MV event last year for just that reason..... didn't see the value.

Perhaps those not responding, especially those that live in relative proximity (quite a few on this forum), don't realize what the same experience would cost if they bought a package from COTA direct?

MotoGP VIP Hospitality Packages | Circuit of The Americas

For me, it is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I am fortunate to have a bride who understands and tolerates my frivolities when it comes to motorcycles.

silentservice703 03-06-2019 07:52 AM

I know that, for me and Cindy, this year is out because of our work situation. COTA is on our short list. Were this event in August, or after June 30th actually, we would probably be there.

Timing is everything.

For those of you who are "on the fence"...get off the fence! Simon puts on a First Class event. You will not regret participating.

andrew fotheringham 03-06-2019 05:11 PM

I simply can't afford these events as they are the other side of the world and my job only allows me 17 days holidays per year. I have been to the Gap and have had a great time and would dearly love to go to another but it quite simply cannot happen for me at present. I can also add that in the uk we would be faced with a host of issues 1 being the weather and other location as the roads here aren't the best and the police take a view that bikers are a nuisance and would therefore not allow groups of bikes ride together.

greminn 03-06-2019 05:44 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming if there are any other suggestions/comments/etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esq'z me (Post 2562479)
Compared to a VIP hospitality package it is not much more and worth it (in my opinion).....but a premium regular seat is only $199..

One thing to note is that the premium regular seat at the above price does not include Paddock Pass ($250 additional). So for just a seat and paddock pass, its going to cost you $450 - and for that you get 1 x seat! :)

Scott916sps 03-06-2019 06:23 PM

Lack of dealers in the US obviously contributes to the lack of enthusiasm for long distance riding, that said I just yesterday purchased a Turismo Veloce and hope to make it to the RACES this year.

MV Arthur 03-06-2019 07:49 PM

Consistency was a fundamental factor oft touched upon during my mba studies in marketing, and imo is crucial to branding success. Since this is only the first "official" premier class MV Agusta event, I'm sure interest will grow quickly in the coming years. Maybe a cross promotonal strategy would have been cool. "Buy any model RC or LE and receive 2 free passes" or "Buy 2 Club Passes and get $2,000 off any 2019 model" Lots of options. I don't think I saw any signs regarding this event at any of the 3 or 4 MV Agusta dealers I've been to in the past few months. Integration and dealer support substantiates the event in my localized point of view. Small town brand ambassadors or what Ducati is doing with DOC (membership cards, tshirts, etc..) would inspire the MV crowd to go in groups. Ducati Island, etc... Use the most passionate of the marque (us!) to promote. I think that's key. That said, it looks to be an exciting event. Hope to see some good video!

HTX_713 03-06-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott916sps (Post 2562631)
Lack of dealers in the US obviously contributes to the lack of enthusiasm for long distance riding, that said I just yesterday purchased a Turismo Veloce and hope to make it to the RACES this year.

I would agree.