MVAgusta.net

MVAgusta.net (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/forum.php)
-   Customising and Performance Section (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/21-customising-performance-section/)
-   -   Starlane Digital Dashboard - Common Fault and how to Repair (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/21-customising-performance-section/183385-starlane-digital-dashboard-common-fault-how-repair.html)

squibby 06-12-2016 02:01 AM

Starlane Digital Dashboard - Common Fault and how to Repair

7 Attachment(s)
I thought I'd post this repair on the forum. Reason being, the Starlane Products, Digital Dashboards etc are compatable with MV Agusta and I've got one for mine. I'd like this thread to be here on the forum so that users of Starlane products will find it when searching google because the fault I had on mine is Guranteed to fail for everyone who has the Starlane Xenon, and possible it's successors. Suprising that such an expensive product is by design going to fail within about 10 years. So here is how to fix it...

I bought a faulty Starlane Xenon Dashboard and the problem is that the internal memory forgets everything when the ignition switched supply is turned off. This is a problem, it reboots and needs to be reloaded with your specific settings all over again rendering useless. I suspected there would be a capacitor or battery, maybe rechargeable that maintains the internal memory when the ignition is off, and that it has failed with time.

When I opened it up, I was not impressed to find a non-rechargeable CR2025 battery embedded in there hiding under some insulation tape. It is by design not supposed to be replaced, and you have to damage a few solders and reduce the resistance to vibration to fix this unfortunately... So you will probably need one of these. Buy a lithium CR2025 it should last up to 10 years.

You will need a few tools, T10 Torx bit, Knife, insulation tape, and a few other bits and pieces. Undo the four torx bits on the back, two are covered by warranty stickers. Then pry the case open, it's stiff because it's sealed with silicone. Remove the circuit board and on the back you will see a CR2025 soldered and silicone in place. Cut the silicone and pry the solder out. Tricky and be careful. Try not to short the two sides of the battery with the knife. Once you have ripped the old batter out, use insulated tape to stick the new one firmly in place. You need to know what you are doing and have a steady hand.

Re-assemble, and voila, good for another 10 years hopefully.

Apparently Starlane are not the only guys who do this, most handheld electronics have the same principles. Non-replaceable 10 year battery embedded into them so they are basically 100% guaranteed to be useless junk after about 10 years unless they get some attention.

Donsy 06-12-2016 02:16 AM

Thanks for that mate, I've always wanted one of those but never been able to afford one, but I know there are a few guys on the forum who have these and would appreciate the info.

PS. Would it be possible to use plastic weld to re-install instead of the insulation tape ?

squibby 06-12-2016 03:37 AM

Yes, that would be fine. But insulation tape is required over the top of the battery as it may come into contact with tye inside of the case. See how they did that on the original battery, they used insulation tape.

squibby 06-13-2016 08:46 PM

You can get Starlane to do it for 50 Euro plus shipping. In fact their after sales support has been pretty good.