MVAgusta.net

MVAgusta.net (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/forum.php)
-   General Talk and Media (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/16-general-talk-media/)
-   -   OK, lay it out: (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/16-general-talk-media/17633-ok-lay-out.html)

fazer6 07-11-2008 07:04 PM

OK, lay it out:

Harley-MV, good or bad?

G.Rand 07-11-2008 07:32 PM

I think it's good. After all, it didn't seem that there were other options for MV to move forward. Maybe now, MV can support a race team, produce some new models, and gain the ability to service and support the Marque better than the past.

GasCitySmitty 07-11-2008 07:50 PM

Ask yourself this...

Quote:

Originally Posted by fazer6 (Post 202379)
Harley-MV, good or bad?

Why would Harley, who's laying off American workers and has never understood what a true sport bike with horsepower is even want an Italian company that is in financial trouble, & isn't producing or selling many bikes currently.

The best effort they've made toward that is Buell, and folks that just ain't a very good motorcycle.

They're wanting something that we dont' know yet IMO. And when they get it, I expect the MV nameplate to disappear again.

Maybe they want to market MV tractors.:naughty:

dave h 07-11-2008 08:17 PM

Harley and MV produce vastly different bikes however the passion that goes into them is what I love about this marriage. I think its a very good thing. Both are artistic and passionate in design.

agusta 17 07-11-2008 10:07 PM

Perhaps the introduction and success of the v-rod represents a change in thinking at HD which CAN be conducive to a bright future for MV. After all, they were enjoying ever increasing sales of existing models at the time of it's introduction. One can only hope.

danstoppable 07-12-2008 02:43 AM

It's a good thing only if Harley brings over their XR1200 that they released in Europe. That's my condition.

jose 07-12-2008 03:46 AM

All things considered, I think it's a good thing.
I don't know much about MV's true financial position but by all accounts the debt level was choking the company, and at the end of the day money talks.
I wouldn't say the 'beggars can't be choosers' thing applied to MV, but there's certainly an element of it, and there didn't seem to be many choices...

haupti 07-12-2008 05:06 AM

First of all the Brand MV Agusta will survive for a while. Harley-Davidson is for my taste a better choice than TATA. I'm sure that HD will let the current MV Program (F1, F3 + Naked, new F4 + new Brutale) come reality. What does the purchase mean in the long run is for sure a big question mark. Although I'm happy about MV Agusta will survive, I'm deeply sad that the Italian Icon MV Agusta is now to 100 % in foreign Hands. That sounds to me like Ferrari would be owned by General Motors. However a new chapter has been started.

nicensleazy 07-12-2008 05:42 AM

Its got to be good surley! If it keeps the brand afloat with a big cash boost, thats good for MV and the work force. Perhaps some quaters may say itsa shame CC is still Chairman. Perhaps a complete change of leadership may of been a good thing. Tambo is staying and he's a key player in the organisation. I think HD buying is a good idea! Just hope it doesn't become another Proton, but I don't think it will!

wekkuli 07-12-2008 06:53 AM

It really doesn't matter who owns MVA as long as the brand is alive and producing bikes that are exclusive and loyal to the racing spirit of count Agusta. Anyway Castiglioni-led MVA isn't (or wasn't) the "same MV Agusta" as it was 40yrs ago, because there was almost 2 decade gap between 1980-1998. But the brand and the spirit still revived under Cagiva-umbrella.

There is a small possibility that HD can mess with the MVA brand by starting to produce "budget bikes" and that way diminishing the exclusivity of the brand. To me, and I think everyone who likes the brand, that would destroy MVA. But I really don't believe they're that stupid. There's still Cagiva-label for less expensive european-style bikes. They haven't gone budget-way with HD-brand, so why would they do that with MVA?

As much as I dislike their bikes, I have to admit that if any manufacturer in this world knows about the power of a strong brand, it's Harley-Davidson. So MVA is in good hands.

Quote:

Originally Posted by haupti (Post 202511)
That sounds to me like Ferrari would be owned by General Motors.

It doesn't sound any better that Ferrari is in fact really owned by Fiat... or Lamborghini and Bugatti by Volkswagen. And Ducati was owned by Texas Pacific investment group (or something like that). What does it matter? For all I care MVA can be owned by HD, Tata, Proton, Honda or sultan of Brunei as long as they keep producing horny bikes!