MVAgusta.net

MVAgusta.net (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/forum.php)
-   F4 - 2nd Gen. 2010+ (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/106-f4-2nd-gen-2010/)
-   -   2012 F4 RR or Panigale? (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/106-f4-2nd-gen-2010/100897-2012-f4-rr-panigale.html)

Zippidy 06-12-2014 04:53 PM

2012 F4 RR or Panigale?

Hello knowledgable MV forum members.

Last season I sold my 06 MV F4 and decided to get a Ducati Monster 1100. First off I love the monster… But think it would make a better secondary bike. I didn't think I would miss the sport bike ride as much as I do. Just recently a 2012 MV F4RR showed up at a local dealership that I went and looked at today. I noticed right away that there was a small oil stain below the bike. The guy at the dealership claimed MV had some recalls on this model that would be taken care of prior to the bike being sold.
First off, is there anything I should know recall or common issues with this year and model? I was very close to pulling the trigger on a carryover 2013 Panigale that the dealer is going to sell me below invoice (so they say)
I worry about the Panigale because it looks like you see so many of them for sale. Did Ducati really miss the mark that much with the 1199?
Here is the craigslist link to the MV for sale locally:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...515760066.html

Let me know what everyone thinks, I am open to ether bike right now.
Dave

jimwoodward 06-12-2014 09:06 PM

I think if you take a test drive you'll end up buying. The 2014 F4 I test drove was unlike anything else... I'm just waiting for some cash to get one. Felt like twice the bike of my 848.
Jim

VELTRO 1 06-12-2014 10:20 PM

If you're not looking at a Panigale R model, I'd definitely buy the F4 RR. The Pani S isn't even in the running.

Lawbreaker 06-12-2014 10:48 PM

Definitely ride both....

Give them some honest thought...fair an impartial....

Then buy the F4RR

cleophus james 06-13-2014 02:12 AM

As someone who is getting ready to sell my 2010 F4... Get the MV if it is a road bike.

If it is a track bike, get neither.

revhead1957 06-13-2014 03:03 AM

Get whichever bike floats your boat, but sack the dealer for the blatant BS. ;)
This is an MV forum, highly unlikely you would get an unbiased reply. Have you asked the same question on Ducati.net? Bet I know what their response would be...

Fragile 06-13-2014 03:13 AM

If you are planning on riding a lot the Duc will have less maintenance requirements. Don't know what that poster meant by the 1199S not in the running- first of all they are in the same price range, second the Panigale have higher handling potential and outright performance than the F4. The Panigale is the latest and greatest technology, all that is advertised on it actually works as posted. The F4 is more of an emotional buy, IMO, its so pretty I want to just look at it rather than riding it sometimes. Get the one that you are willing to live with based on these and any other aspects you can think up and you'll be fine. In the end you will want both anyways so its just a matter of which one you want first.

jomarti1 06-13-2014 08:39 AM

Recall for an oil leack???? I don't know about that. Go ride the 2 bikes and you will decide to go with the F4RR. And not the cooking grille crap Panigale.

VELTRO 1 06-13-2014 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fragile (Post 1059377)
If you are planning on riding a lot the Duc will have less maintenance requirements. Don't know what that poster meant by the 1199S not in the running- first of all they are in the same price range, second the Panigale have higher handling potential and outright performance than the F4. The Panigale is the latest and greatest technology, all that is advertised on it actually works as posted. The F4 is more of an emotional buy, IMO, its so pretty I want to just look at it rather than riding it sometimes. Get the one that you are willing to live with based on these and any other aspects you can think up and you'll be fine. In the end you will want both anyways so its just a matter of which one you want first.

What I meant by the Pani S not being in the running...

Owning multiple Pani Ss and Rs, I can tell you there's almost a night and day difference between them. The R isn't that much more money than the S or the F4 RR, especially if someone grabs one of the few still-new 2013 Pani Rs that dealers have discounted to $26,995 in contrast to the 2014 F4 RR with that MSRP.

P1199R
F4 RR
RSV4F
P1199S

The HP4 is better than all the above, but isn't a very fulfilling emotional or aesthetic choice by comparison. Just keepin' it real without bias. If I could only have one, it would always be an MV. But there is some hellaciously competent machinery out there with other logos on the tanks and flanks.

spitfire1776 06-13-2014 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VELTRO 1 (Post 1059777)
What I meant by the Pani S not being in the running...

Owning multiple Pani Ss and Rs, I can tell you there's almost a night and day difference between them. The R isn't that much more money than the S or the F4 RR, especially if someone grabs one of the few still-new 2013 Pani Rs that dealers have discounted to $26,995 in contrast to the 2014 F4 RR with that MSRP.

P1199R
F4 RR
RSV4F
P1199S

The HP4 is better than all the above, but isn't a very fulfilling emotional or aesthetic choice by comparison. Just keepin' it real without bias. If I could only have one, it would always be an MV. But there is some hellaciously competent machinery out there with other logos on the tanks and flanks.

I have to agree with you assessment of the Pani S versus R. The price difference doesn't reflect the advantage difference. You are getting way more bike with the R than the S. Both are good bikes. But unless you're threadbare with the finances and can't afford the difference - then its the R. I've been a longtime Ducati rider and continue to be(I have a 1098S, 996, 900SS, some old singles, etc.) I will say the Pani hasn't quite grabbed me the way I thought it would. I love the frameless design, I love the gear/chain combo valve drive, but the overall driving cache is, well take as it as you will, less "Ducati". To me the R feels more "Ducati". If that makes sense.

Yes, this is an MV forum so expect some bias. But personally, I love MV's and Duc's. In the end if you are comparing a Pani R and F4RR, it would be a very tough call, leaving the decision down to comfort really. Not sure your height so hard to say on that. But if its an S versus F4RR, F4 RR then would probably be my choice. Unless the deal they are giving you on the S is insane. Then logically the S, but emotionally still the F4RR.

Just my opinion.