MV Agusta Forum banner

2012 F4 RR or Panigale?

7K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  VELTRO 1 
#1 ·
Hello knowledgable MV forum members.

Last season I sold my 06 MV F4 and decided to get a Ducati Monster 1100. First off I love the monster… But think it would make a better secondary bike. I didn't think I would miss the sport bike ride as much as I do. Just recently a 2012 MV F4RR showed up at a local dealership that I went and looked at today. I noticed right away that there was a small oil stain below the bike. The guy at the dealership claimed MV had some recalls on this model that would be taken care of prior to the bike being sold.
First off, is there anything I should know recall or common issues with this year and model? I was very close to pulling the trigger on a carryover 2013 Panigale that the dealer is going to sell me below invoice (so they say)
I worry about the Panigale because it looks like you see so many of them for sale. Did Ducati really miss the mark that much with the 1199?
Here is the craigslist link to the MV for sale locally:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/mcd/4515760066.html

Let me know what everyone thinks, I am open to ether bike right now.
Dave

See less See more
#6 ·
Get whichever bike floats your boat, but sack the dealer for the blatant BS. ;)
This is an MV forum, highly unlikely you would get an unbiased reply. Have you asked the same question on Ducati.net? Bet I know what their response would be...

#7 ·
If you are planning on riding a lot the Duc will have less maintenance requirements. Don't know what that poster meant by the 1199S not in the running- first of all they are in the same price range, second the Panigale have higher handling potential and outright performance than the F4. The Panigale is the latest and greatest technology, all that is advertised on it actually works as posted. The F4 is more of an emotional buy, IMO, its so pretty I want to just look at it rather than riding it sometimes. Get the one that you are willing to live with based on these and any other aspects you can think up and you'll be fine. In the end you will want both anyways so its just a matter of which one you want first.

#9 ·
What I meant by the Pani S not being in the running...

Owning multiple Pani Ss and Rs, I can tell you there's almost a night and day difference between them. The R isn't that much more money than the S or the F4 RR, especially if someone grabs one of the few still-new 2013 Pani Rs that dealers have discounted to $26,995 in contrast to the 2014 F4 RR with that MSRP.

P1199R
F4 RR
RSV4F
P1199S

The HP4 is better than all the above, but isn't a very fulfilling emotional or aesthetic choice by comparison. Just keepin' it real without bias. If I could only have one, it would always be an MV. But there is some hellaciously competent machinery out there with other logos on the tanks and flanks.

#11 ·
Thanks every one for the feedback! I should have been more specific with the Pani I was looking at. The one I priced out was the standard ABS. I have no doubt that they would give me a equally as good of a deal on one of the 2 remaining Pani S's they have left. The purchase price will sway me a bit so it would be unlikely I would spring for a Pani R. For the standard Pani I would be looking at a +$800 OTD price over the MV RR, and likely a +$3,500-4,000 for the Pani S. I can only assume it would be difficult to get a new carryover 2013 Pani S OTD for less then $21,000.
Thanks again, Dave

#12 ·
It looks like the choice is 2012 F4 RR versus 2013 Pani base. It's a no-brainer for me. F4 RR. The base Pani doesn't even register in comparison. But I'm not a base bike buyer, so that's a bias I can't honestly divest.

Why not a leftover 2013 RSV4 Factory 'Priller?

#13 ·
Again, I have to agree with Veltro - MVF4RR. Getting it for 800.00 less than a standard Pani is great. Honestly you will pour so much money into that standard Pani to get to an appreciable point, that you'll be in the S range anyhow. I don't know you, but if in your position and I sided with the Standard 1199, I'd be spending as much time thinking of things I could do to make it better,as I would riding it.

Honestly, comparing a Standard 1199 to an F4RR is like comparing a bowl of ice cream to a full sundae. Again, just my opinion.

#14 ·
I agree with what a lot of you have to say. Maybe I am putting to my stock into what a new bike is worth over a bike with a obvious issue even sitting on the dealership floor. That being the oil leak on the MV, and trusting this dealer with take care of it and hoping that it doesn't bite me in the ass later on. There are tons of pros and cons new vs used and the warranty on the Pani is the one pro that keeps drawing me back to it not to mention putting the first mile on it blah blah blah… On the plus side to the MV at that price it has take a majority of the depreciation and the Pani will drop the second I ride it away from the dealer, ether way it stupid to think of a vehicle as a investment.

#16 ·
Why the confusion on the R? The R is much more bike than the F4rr (including factor of generational difference and technology difference). The S is above F4RR for the same things, but to a lesser extent than the R. The current F4RR is in a league of its own and cannot be compared for anything but overall superbike performance, which it probably pales to the Panigale S or R. It rides like a totally different bike and it maintained like a totally older generation bike. The electronics of the S puts the F4RR's to shame, including its display. The heft of the Duc 1199 in all versions, trump the F4RR, the power to weight ratio, the same. The F4RR is a trophy bike for bragging rights, with outright performance competitive but not exceeding the latest generation Panigale. For the F4RR to keep up with the latest is an amazing feat, most of the bike have been refined to its limits. This is my version of unbiased view. YMMV

#17 ·
Why the confusion on the R?
No confusion.

The R is much more bike than the F4rr (including factor of generational
difference and technology difference). The S is above F4RR for the same things, but to a lesser extent than the R.
The R, yes. The S, no. The spec may be higher, but it doesn't translate into the riding experience.

The current F4RR is in a league of its own and cannot be compared for anything but overall superbike performance, which it probably pales to the Panigale S or R.
Again, the R, yes; the S, no. The S isn't putting down the big power number and it's all top-loaded without the torque of previous models. It's no fun to scream a twin. The R with the Termis and gearing change with suspension differences is the only Pani superior to the F4 RR.

I have multiple S and R versions of each generation of modern Ducati, and the Pani S and R are as far apart in performance and feel as any pair from any generation.

It rides like a totally different bike and it maintained like a totally older generation bike. The electronics of the S puts the F4RR's to shame, including its display. The heft of the Duc 1199 in all versions, trump the F4RR, the power to weight ratio, the same. The F4RR is a trophy bike for bragging rights, with outright performance competitive but not exceeding the latest generation Panigale. For the F4RR to keep up with the latest is an amazing feat, most of the bike have been refined to its limits. This is my version of unbiased view. YMMV
MMV, definitely. The F4, F4R, and F4 RR mirror the Pani base, S, and R, but slotting in between and just below each. The Pani S is underwhelming where the Pani R is over-achieving. The base is only for the budget-minded or those wanting to build with their own superior aftermarket choices for suspension, etc.

If competence is the criteria, the HP4 gob-smacks all comers. But that's not the point. Preference is highly subjective. There is only a range of absolutism here.

He's looking at a new base 2013 Panigale versus a used 2012 F4 RR. The S isn't on the table.

#18 · (Edited)
I stand corrected on the R vs. S then, I think I will trade in my S for an R someday. But given that I am not a racer of any type, the S may suit me just fine. Thanks for the insight given your wide ranging experience, Veltro. I've yet to experience the fury of my F4RR as its my garage queen :)

#19 ·
whichever you choose, your're gonna have to take care of it especially the more you want to ride it. Letting it sit may cause problems too. There's a sweet spot in there somewhere, and the Panigale don't have the old school problems of the F4, including resistance to Ethanol fuel. The F4 have nylon tank.

#22 ·
We're saying the same thing. My sentence is saying the same thing. Let me state this conversely- if comparing performance, then those bikes you mentioned is tops, but for anything else, like aesthetic refinement, emotion, feel, or other intangibles, the F4RR is in a league of its own. Capiche?

#23 ·
All of them are good bikes
I'm lucky enough to have most of those now
But have had pretty much all of them
The Mv stands out the most in my opinion
At least by me you very rarely see them on the road
But they all perform pretty great.
The 1199 is my least fav out of all.
I went to trade my 1199s in for a R just so I can have 3 R Ducati. But the dealer let me ride it first
And there is not much difference between the 2. I was not impressed ( minimal difference to me)
Especially for the 10k difference.
Maybe on the track but that I dunno.

#25 ·
Veltro 1
I sent you a pm

#27 ·
Veltro.
I took what you said earlier into consideration. I started looking at a carryover 2013 Aprilia RSV4 a local dealer has a smoking deal on. After reading and watching the reviews I would definitely say its in contention with the other 2. Thanks for making my choice even harder :)

#30 ·
My choice would the f4rr. my decision is an emotional one. I think MV's are far more rare. just make sure you have good dealer support and stay away from the gixxer's. some model has a very similar looking front end.

#31 ·
Well thanks a lot Veltro! LOL
Now after stopping in to look at the Aprilia, I now find my self interested in the BMW S1000RR. The BMW I had been considering as well but not as seriously tell now.
However the deal they are willing to give me on the Aprilia would be hard to pass up. For a new 2013 RSV4 APRC they will sell it for $14,000 OTD so around $2,600 less then the MV and $4,000 less then the Pani. At that price the Pani is all but out of the running...
As for the BMW I'm sure I could work them a bit more on the price as its a 2014 they are giving little of a discount on.
Back to the drawing board.

#32 ·
Ha. There are no bad choices in that group. Actually, the base Pani isn't in the running with the others.

I have each of them and they're all unique in their own ways. If you're not a die-hard gotta-have-an-MV guy, the BMW and the 'Priller are very good choices. I'd be jumpin' on one of them. Likely the Aprilia for the money, cuz $2600 buys lotsa other whatever.

#34 ·
Well if all things go as planed and the dealer gets there head out of their A I should have the big reveal on monday. I'm sorry to all the people who have taken work off to just sit and hit refresh on their computer for the last few weeks waiting to see how this would turn out...:stick poke :drummer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.